Plugin Contributions

Default Why are define pages editor and EZ pages separate?

One thing that has always bugged me about Zen Cart is there are 2 areas you have to edit any pages. The define pages editor with your built in pages, and then EZ pages for all your information pages.

A client was just griping about this to me and I agree, I cannot think of one program (free or paid) that splits your page editing into two different areas. I wish Zen cart could clean this up in the future. Perhaps put all the define pages into the EZ pages and build it in that way. I would think everyone uses EZ pages for their information pages, and I would think everyone would need to edit some of their build in pages. Doesn't it make sense to combine them and just include them into EZ pages?

Just a suggestion. I am sure I am not the only one who thinks this way. Would love to see this in the future.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Why are define pages editor and EZ pages separate?

Define pages and ez-pages are totally opposite in the way they are stored and operate. To have them both edited on the same admin page would require having the complete code/forms for each all on one page. I expect this would cause further confusion where people would expect them to work exactly the same way when they can't.

Plugin Contributions

I understand what you are saying and knew this argument would come. That is that they behave differently and define pages editor has other functions attached. However there is no logical reason editing pages should not be done in only one place.

My suspicion is that the define pages editor we built first and then EZ pages came later. Instead of addressing this issue in the beginning and working towards integration, now the platform has grown and these areas are more difficult to try and integrate. At least this is my guess.

Try telling any reasonable person they have to edit their pages in multple places and they will say why? I cannot think of one other platform that has this. I mean Wordpress, MODx, Joomla, Drupal, and on and on, you edit all your pages in one area. Am I wrong? Whether or not you agree with how its done, it would be more reasonable for all to edit all pages in one place with the same type function. That's all I am saying.

My clients never understand why they have to go to define pages editor to make modifications to home, contact, and terms, and then go to the EZ pages area to modify their other informational pages. I have installed Zen cart many, many times and most of my clients are using this platform for their stores. I absolutely love Zen Cart. But the define pages editor is antiquated and out of place, and always a bone of contention with my clients. I can't say I disagree.

Please note this is not a complaint and I am not being aggressive. I felt question needed posed, is important to helping Zen Cart made better.

Plugin Contributions

OK. Would is be possible to apply all the define pages directly into the EZ pages but separate the two via columns?

Maybe you would go to EZ pages and the top column had your Built-in-pages all together (layed out like your EZ pages). Instead of using the drop down in the current define-pages-editor, they displayed like a grid (all showing). Like EZ pages you could enable, disable, change sort order (for menus), and edit.

Then on the same page but one column below have your all your EZ pages.

They would all be on the same page, but built in pages would have slightly different functions and EZ pages would be right below. At least this way they would all be one one page, you could enable, or disable in the same format, and edit. Maybe I am dreaming I don't know.

I would guess at some point this separation would need to be addressed, before they become even more embded and seperated. Otherwise people are going use newer platforms that have addressed this issue before they become too large or complicated. I hate Wordpress it does not compare with Zen Cart for a shopping platform, as i always say it's blogging software. But its much easier to use for clients. So people are using it in droves.