Plugin Contributions

Default Using USPS and UPS online for shippng, customers are choosing cheapest listed? ?

Can anyone help? I'm a new Zen Cart person, figured most of it out, form the E-Start Book and using this forum. I found it faster to go to google and type in " Zencart+How to set up shipping?" or "Zencart+ how to replace the home page logo?" etc, it worked for me faster than running though multiple forum threads.

My stumbling block now is shipping. I tried every combination I could and am exhausted at this point. So I'm asking you the reader. LOL :

Using USPS and UPS online for shipping, customers are choosing the cheapest rate listed? ? Our product packages vary from .5lb up to 75lbs. One B3 HHO cell product weighs 18lb.s fits into 2 USPS Flat rate boxes, the cost approx $28 to $30 at the P.O., customers are selecting the small flat rate box for $5.10 with a $1.00 handling fee for a total of $6.15 ? ? Why does 18 lb products allow this cheap rate ? ? on the pop up window and on the shipping/check out page ? ?

How do you erase the lower less weigh small flat rate box selection ?

Thanks for any answers. - Andrew from : http://hydrogengarage.com/store

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Using USPS and UPS online for shippng, customers are choosing cheapest listed? ?

Does UPS give a better quote on this Product?

Would one solution be to turn off USPS when this Product is in the cart ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Using USPS and UPS online for shippng, customers are choosing cheapest listed? ?

Thank you Ajeh for replying. I tried turning off USPS when the product is in the cart, and left UPS on and it worked, UPS gave the correct shipping cost. But , , , how come the USPS goes to $6.15 for a 18lb box ? Instead of Flat rate $16.00 ( approx charge) ? We use the USPS way more, due to it is one block away.

Is there a page explaining how to set up the USPS module info ? ? Maybe I have one box checked wrong ? ? The USPS guy who helped with the code said you need to contact Zen cart ?

Can I use product attributes for shipping instead ? ? Have check boxes of shipping costs? in a drop down menu? and add the shipping costs there ? ? Does anyone do that? Or it s that not recommended ?

Thank you,
    Andrew

Plugin Contributions

USPS does not know that you need 18lbs in 2 USPS Flat rate boxes ... so you get the quote on 18lbs based on the settings for the weight on each option that you have selected ...

You could adjust these options for the minimum/maximum weight and make it so the Flat Rate Box quote on Small, Medium and Large have more constraints to them so that when at this 18lb weight only the Large Flat Rate box shows, which is closer to your actual charges for this item ...

Your goal is to get the shipping costs correct and not necessarily the display name for the shipping options ...

Once you have the shipping costs working better, then you can worry about customizing the display names for these, if it is absolutely necessary to change what the customer sees ...
    Linda McGrath

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]

Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Thank you Ajeh,

You said : "You could adjust these options for the minimum/maximum weight and make it so the Flat Rate Box quote on Small, Medium and Large have more constraints to them so that when at this 18lb weight only the Large Flat Rate box shows, which is closer to your actual charges for this item .."

That was it, I had the minimum/maximum weight all wrong. So now I see how that works.

I may just simplify the whole shipping process with one set price and give them a check box, USPS Priority or UPS Grd.
    and shine all this wan it now Express mail and UPS next day air, all a rip off price anyways. Just tell the customers to be patient. LOL or only offer the fast stuff for small packages, parts, etc.

Thank you Zen Ajeh, I got jaded, I owe you a starbuck's fancy coffee drink and a roll. LOL Thank you!

Plugin Contributions

You are most welcome ... glad that this is working for you now!

We look forward to coffee and donuts ... it really makes our days go a lot faster and smoother ...
    Linda McGrath