Plugin Contributions

Default Table rate based on weight

Hello all,

Is anyone else using a shipping rate based on a table rate per weight? I have one and got the figures from a chart on the UPS/FedEx site on average shipping rates.

I've had my site up and running for several years but just recently moved it and rebuilt it using ZenCart so I based the shipping charges on the examples from the two shippers my suppliers use. Since opening my new site I've had a number of people create an account but not make any purchases so I wrote a personal email to them asking for their help in making the shopping experience better. Two out of three responses mentioned that they didn't purchase because of the high shipping charge I had.

Like I said, I thought I was pretty much average on my rates and in order to be competitive have priced my products fairly low already. If I need to lower the shipping charge, I might need to go up on the product price as I make a minimal profit now as it is and I don't add anything to the shipping charge.

If anyone has a rate that is working good for them, could you post it if you don't mind sharing or post a link to some sample rates?

Thanks, here are what I am using now, again based on weight:

Up to 5#:9.10,
    10#:10.25,
    15#:13.25, (Average Sale falls here)
    20#:14.25,
    30#:17.25,
    40#:20.25,
    50#:28.25,
    100#:60.25,
    150#:88.25,
    300# and up:118.25
    Jim Stiles
    http://www.missyscollectibles.com
    Coming home to Zen Cart!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Table rate based on weight

Quote Originally Posted by RiverCity View Post
    Hello all,

Is anyone else using a shipping rate based on a table rate per weight? I have one and got the figures from a chart on the UPS/FedEx site on average shipping rates.

I've had my site up and running for several years but just recently moved it and rebuilt it using ZenCart so I based the shipping charges on the examples from the two shippers my suppliers use. Since opening my new site I've had a number of people create an account but not make any purchases so I wrote a personal email to them asking for their help in making the shopping experience better. Two out of three responses mentioned that they didn't purchase because of the high shipping charge I had.

Like I said, I thought I was pretty much average on my rates and in order to be competitive have priced my products fairly low already. If I need to lower the shipping charge, I might need to go up on the product price as I make a minimal profit now as it is and I don't add anything to the shipping charge.

If anyone has a rate that is working good for them, could you post it if you don't mind sharing or post a link to some sample rates?

Thanks, here are what I am using now, again based on weight:

Up to 5#:9.10,
    10#:10.25,
    15#:13.25, (Average Sale falls here)
    20#:14.25,
    30#:17.25,
    40#:20.25,
    50#:28.25,
    100#:60.25,
    150#:88.25,
    300# and up:118.25
    Can you ship using the usps flat rate boxes?

Thanks,

Anne

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Table rate based on weight

Quote Originally Posted by picaflor-azul View Post
    Can you ship using the usps flat rate boxes?

Thanks,

Anne
    Hi Anne,

No I can't do that as I only do dropshipping, all shipping is done by my two suppliers I use. I just checked the recent chart from UPS website and my shipping is already lower than theirs for the closest zone so according to their chart, I should be charging more. I try to keep it pretty close to what my suppliers charge on the average since I have to deal with two different shipping points. Sometimes I take a little loss on the shipping charge and sometimes I make a little but it averages out.
    Jim Stiles
    http://www.missyscollectibles.com
    Coming home to Zen Cart!