Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Random  all over my site

Quote Originally Posted by Feznizzle View Post
    Dumb question... but I have to ask!

On an old zc139h, I'm attempting to follow CONVERT TO UTF8 instructions found here:
    https://www.zen-cart.com/content.php...8859-1-to-utf8

Step one says set the define for CHARSET to 'utf-8'.
    Step two says set DB_CHARSET to 'utf8'.

The first reference contains a dash (utf-8), the second does not. Is that correct?
    Yes.

Browsers want it one way, and databases want it the other way. Irritating, but true.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

I thought that might be the case, thanks.

But... neither of the zc139h configure files contain:
    define('DB_CHARSET', 'xxxx');

Should I just add that line?

Plugin Contributions

Dumb question... but I have to ask!

On an old zc139h, I'm attempting to follow CONVERT TO UTF8 instructions found here:
    https://www.zen-cart.com/content.php...8859-1-to-utf8

Step one says set the define for CHARSET to 'utf-8'.
    Step two says set DB_CHARSET to 'utf8'.

The first reference contains a dash (utf-8), the second does not. Is that correct?
    The concept of a different DB_CHARSET for utf8/latin1 didn't get into the Zen Cart core until v1.5.0; I'm not sure what good it will do to update the database to UTF8 when the core v1.3.9h Zen Cart code doesn't know what to do with the difference.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

I thought that might be the case, thanks.

But... neither of the zc139h configure files contain:
    define('DB_CHARSET', 'xxxx');

Should I just add that line?
    Correct. Prior to v1.5.0 it was always assumed that things used latin1.

If you're using the latest version of Zen Cart, it will auto-define DB_CHARSET for you if you don't. And upgrading will put the define into configure.php for you if relevant.

So, yes, if you're still stuck with using the obsolete v1.3.9 then yes you'll have to add it if you're doing conversions. Very few good reasons to stay with 2010 version though.

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

@DrByte, I tried to talk the client into updating but they declined. So my project is just adding new products (20k+, not to mention 2k categories).

@lat9, the reason I am doing this is because my uploads are triggering the "Â" problem all over the place. Are you saying that changing the site to UTF8 won't help me? Won't resolve the  issue?

Plugin Contributions

What I'm saying is that the v1.3.9h core code isn't going to "understand" what a DB_CHARSET means. I don't know if modifying the database to be utf8 is going to correct your problem or introduce additional issues.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

If you're converting to UTF8 then there's a ton of value in actually upgrading.
    It's very possible that you've got language files using non-utf8 characters in them, so will get undesired symbols.
    There could also be a lot of PHP files that have old latin1 symbols in them. The upgrade replaces all those core files with "clean" ones, so avoids those issues.

The FAQ article about converting to utf8 is based on the dependency of you also running Zen Cart v1.5.x or higher. If you're trying to bolt stuff onto the old version, you'll have to do additional coding to retrofit it.

Plugin Contributions

Hmmm. Ok. Maybe I need to go a different direction then.

The problem only occurs with Easy Populate 4. When I export, the data contains the funny characters. When I import, the funny chars are created and inserted. But if I directly edit the mySQL table, no problems.

And the same data that looks fine on the Live site contains garbage when exporting from EP4. But it looks fine on the site.

I'm off to figure out where in the EP4 files a CHARSET gets specified and just change it there.

Thank you so much for the info!!!

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    If you're converting to UTF8 then there's a ton of value in actually upgrading.
    It's very possible that you've got language files using non-utf8 characters in them, so will get undesired symbols.
    There could also be a lot of PHP files that have old latin1 symbols in them. The upgrade replaces all those core files with "clean" ones, so avoids those issues.

The FAQ article about converting to utf8 is based on the dependency of you also running Zen Cart v1.5.x or higher. If you're trying to bolt stuff onto the old version, you'll have to do additional coding to retrofit it.
    Gotcha, thanks. I'll keep this in mind, if/when they finally decide to upgrade.

Plugin Contributions

Since you mentioned EP4, consider that using it could contribute to your problem as it is made for the later versions of ZC - thus it may be auto-converting to the later charset.

What about a 1.39 version of Ep? https://www.zen-cart.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=1103

Just a wag. Upgrade is best, of course.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast