Plugin Contributions

help question Built in Paypal Options?

I just contacted Paypal and I see that they have 2 options that I might use for a new client

1. Paypal Standard
    2. Paypal Advanced
    3. PRO

Now I have installed zencart and noticed that there is only

1. PayPal Website Payments Standard
    2. PayPal Website Payments Pro
    3. PayPal Express Checkout

Now my questions is I don't see Advanced in Zencart? will this be getting updated.. or is this the same as PayPal Express Checkout

Thanks

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Built in Paypal Options?

The Paypal Advanced module isn't available yet from the Zencart developers. There is a forum thread that suggests someone else is developing one, but I don't know its current status.

Also, there are four Paypal options: Standard (which you don't want to use), Advanced, Express and Pro.

Plugin Contributions

thanks

I just talked to paypal right before i posted this

and they said that only the 3 are still around (i'm from canada) not sure if there is differance..\

Why don't I want to use Standard? As I can't use pro then i need to have my server pci compliant...

Plugin Contributions

Paypal Express handles transactions on Paypal's servers, so you don't need special PCI compliance for it.

Does Paypal explicitly say that is not available in Canada?
    Last edited by gjh42; 28 Mar 2014 at 02:54 AM.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by imfsub12 View Post
    thanks

I just talked to paypal right before i posted this

and they said that only the 3 are still around (i'm from canada) not sure if there is differance..\

Why don't I want to use Standard? As I can't use pro then i need to have my server pci compliant...
    Standard has a high chance of not providing data necessary to fully process a payment. For example there are cases where a guest leaves your site to pay on paypal, they pay, but then your store doesn't receive the communication that the product(s) have been purchased. Next thing you know, urguest is dissatisfied and wanting to know where their product is and you have no record in your store about it, meanwhile they are able to show that PayPal collected their money. It can be a real headache. Express is much better and when setup, doesn't have that problem. Instead, if there is a problem with express, then nothing is processed by PayPal, and therefore the customer doesn't get wrongly charged.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

While perhaps the PayPal staff you spoke to didn't mention "Express Checkout", it's basically the modern version of "Standard".

The original "Standard" method was designed for websites in the 1990s, before "shopping cart" software was available for websites.
    Express Checkout is the contemporary replacement for that, and is specifically designed for Shopping Carts like yours.

Express Checkout is the direction you want to go. Even in Canada.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.