Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default SMTP Error: Could not connect to SMTP host.

I get this error when trying to send an email with zencart. I am using Zoho to host my email. I have set the following in zc.
    SMTP Email Account Mailbox [email protected]
    SMTP Email Account Password *********** Info
    SMTP Email Mail Host smtp.zoho.com Info
    SMTP Email Mail Server Port 587 Info

can anyone here help me or do I need to get with Zoho to figure this out.

Thanks for the help,
    Brandi

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: SMTP Error: Could not connect to SMTP host.

Quote Originally Posted by brandi_jo View Post
    I get this error when trying to send an email with zencart. I am using Zoho to host my email. I have set the following in zc.
    SMTP Email Account Mailbox [email protected]
    SMTP Email Account Password *********** Info
    SMTP Email Mail Host smtp.zoho.com Info
    SMTP Email Mail Server Port 587 Info

can anyone here help me or do I need to get with Zoho to figure this out.

Thanks for the help,
    Brandi
    I am not familiar with Zoho at all but I think it would be a matter of establishing how your server, Zoho and ZC interact with each other. The Zoho documentation should give you a clue.

Plugin Contributions

SMTP Email Mail Server Port 587
    http://email.about.com/od/Zoho-Mail/...p-Settings.htm
    http://www.zoho.com/mail/help/faq/imap-access1.html

• Zoho Mail SMTP port: 465

Cheers
    RodG

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by RodG View Post

I appreciate the links and the help, but I have tried that. I have tried 25, 465, and 587. I have also tried smtp.zoho.com and ssl://smtp.zoho.com. Neither of which works. Also, where can I set ssl to true in zc?

Plugin Contributions

I appreciate the links and the help, but I have tried that. I have tried 25, 465, and 587.
    This isn't a guessing game. Only one port will be the correct one, and that will be the one documented by Zoho. (465)

I have also tried smtp.zoho.com and ssl://smtp.zoho.com.
    This isn't a guessing game. Only one host will be the correct one, and that will be the one documented by Zoho. (smtp.zoho.com)

Neither of which works.
    If you are using the specified details of smtp.zoho.com and port 465 and it doesn't work the problem must be elswhere. Possibilities include
    Invalid username
    Invalid password
    Incorrect transport method (you need to use SMTP or SMTPAUTH (probably the latter)
    The account hasn't been correctly set up on the zoho servers.

Also, where can I set ssl to true in zc?
    This is set in the configuration.php files. However, this is a different matter entirely. It will have no effect on your mail problem (the port number itself defines that the SSL protocol is being used).

If after setting smtp.zoho.com, port 465, SMTPAUTH, with a correct username/password you still have problems then the following link will take you to a page with some debugging tips.
    http://www.zen-cart.com/wiki/index.p...Email_Problems

Again, this is not a guessing game. Trying anything other than smtp.zoho.com 465 will be an exersize in futility. These are specified constants defined by the zoho.com administrators.

Cheers
    RodG
    Last edited by RodG; 26 Jan 2014 at 09:00 AM.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for the insight. I understand that this is not a guessing game but when the email didn't work, I tried other combinations just to be sure. Zoho account is set up and correct, can send and receive emails there. All slots in zc are plugged in correctly and still nothing. I will try the link provided and see what else I can do.

Again, Thanks for the help
    Brandi

Plugin Contributions

ok, so Zoho mail has finally got back with me and told me that I need to set the ssl to on for email. How would I go about doing this.

Thanks, Brandi

Plugin Contributions

ok, so Zoho mail has finally got back with me and told me that I need to set the ssl to on for email.
    This was determined 4 days ago. "the port number itself defines that the SSL protocol is being used"

How would I go about doing this.
    I provided a link regarding this, 4 days ago. I will assume it didn't work, so here is a copy of the relevant section of the page.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    SMTP over SSL

If your host requires that you send email over SSL, then be sure to set your SMTP Port to 465.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And here is a little bit of additional information from the same page....

SMTP over TLS

TLS (or StartTLS) is often used as an alternative to SSL for secure email transfer. But, true TLS is more complex to set up, and thus it is more likely that your host will actually work fine using just SSL by specifying port 465 as mentioned above.
    Seriously: most hosts can simply use port 465 to trigger SSL, so this is usually sufficient.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And finally, if you are using all the correct credentials and you are STILL having a problem, your only solution is to seek help from *your* host. They are probably blocking the communications with a firewall.
    Enabling SSL for your store will *not* solve the problem.

Rgds,
    RodG

Plugin Contributions

RodG,

I understand what you said before and now! All I am saying is that they have told me to set ssl (on email not site) to true. I responded back to them with port 465 should suffice. They have not responded back as of yet. I can receive and send email from my zoho account, AND however, my website email will not work nor will the admin tools send mail. Let me explain further, I went to my website as a guest and tried to use the contact us portion and send an email that way...... NOTHING was sent......... I have checked all possible emails. Also, before when I was having trouble logging in (weeks ago) and tried to reset my password at the admin login page, zc would not send an email to my email on file.

Again, I appreciate all the help in this matter, but something is wrong with email. I will admit that I am not smart enough to figure it out. This is why I come here and post questions.

Thanks,
    Brandi

Plugin Contributions

I understand what you said before and now
    So why are you still seeking answers from Zoho?

I don't keep repeating myself because I enjoy it. I'm not trying to give you a hard time or anything like that. I'm trying to give you advice as to what you need to do for a speedy resolution to your problem, so to repeat myself one final time...

"if you are using all the correct credentials and you are STILL having a problem, your only solution is to seek help from *your* host. They are probably blocking the communications with a firewall".

Putting this another way, you are asking all the right questions in all the wrong places. Asking here in the 1st instance was good. I/we were able to tell you that you was using the wrong port number. From there you've just gone downhill and caused yourself significant delays with multiple emails back and forth with zoho, who firstly confirmed what I'd already told you, and now you are awaiting a follow up response in which they are going to once again confirm my advise It is something that your host will need to sort out, as they are the *only* ones that will have access to the log files needed to determine exactly what is going on and also rectify the problem.

If you want an even speedier resolution you could probably just set your zencart to use PHP or Sendmail.

Do you actually have a reason for wanting to *send* using SMTP via zoho?
    You do realise that you don't have to send and receive emails on the same server don't you?

As long as the emails being sent contain your zoho email address then that's where the responses will be sent to for you to pickup. Most people that receive the store sent emails wouldn't have a clue which server they are actually being sent from unless they look at all of the mail headers.

Cheers
    Rod
    Last edited by RodG; 1 Feb 2014 at 02:56 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast