Plugin Contributions

Default cross-platform (IE, Foxpro, Chrome) Zen Cart development references

Zen Cart does not appear to have been coded with any intention of it appearing the same on the IE and Foxpro browsers. Does anyone know of any resources in the Zen Cart ecology (or anywhere else online for generic website coding) that support Zen Cart development which results in this application's identical appearance on IE, Chrome, and/or Floxpro?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: cross-platform (IE, Foxpro, Chrome) Zen Cart development references

A description (or, better yet, a link) of exactly what display issues you're having with what versions of those browsers would be useful. I have found that Zencart displays the same in FF and Chrome and the latest versions of IE. With IE8 or earlier, often you'll need browser-specific stylesheets.

I would also caution against spending too much time on minor differences, since few visitors will see your site in multiple browsers.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by cyberbaffled View Post
    Zen Cart does not appear to have been coded with any intention of it appearing the same on the IE and Foxpro browsers. Does anyone know of any resources in the Zen Cart ecology (or anywhere else online for generic website coding) that support Zen Cart development which results in this application's identical appearance on IE, Chrome, and/or Floxpro?
    You can add a cross browser isolating javascript like this one:

http://rafael.adm.br/css_browser_selector

Thanks,

Anne

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by picaflor-azul View Post
    You can add a cross browser isolating javascript like this one:

http://rafael.adm.br/css_browser_selector

Thanks,

Anne
    Just a note that the current version (from November, 2010) does not properly recognize (surprise) IE11!

Plugin Contributions

Using the basic three column template, I have product categories in the left column, which when selected yield individual products described with colored text. The text displays correctly in Firefox and Chrome but displays black in IE. This is a big deal since the background is a very dark astronomical graphic.

Also, both IE and Chrome have the following glitch. The background of the aforementioned left column is dark blue and the letters of categories are light orange. Fine. But as soon as I select any category all the category text turns dark blue, making it nearly invisible. In Chrome the category descriptions in the middle column that are light colored and display correctly in Firefox, display in Chrome the same black (against near black background) that occurs when displayed with IE (10).

Problems of this nature are maddening since obviously all three browsers are interpreting the same CSS.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by cyberbaffled View Post
    Problems of this nature are maddening since obviously all three browsers are interpreting the same CSS.
    Probably just as maddening as trying to "guess" what is happening, when you ignore all requests to show us the live site where this is actually happening.

btw How many versions of IE are you trying to cater for?

Plugin Contributions

Thanks Anne. I'll check out the link. I've looked deep into the PHP, and for this fundamental issue I'm fairly certain javascript isn't involved, unless you mean that the link will deliver me to a javascript coded application that will analyse the entirety of Zen Cart for potential cross-browser conflicts.

Plugin Contributions

I'd be content with IE 10&11. I'll try to conjure up the time to strip the site of proprietary information and then release it to you.

Plugin Contributions

Solution. The solution to this cross-platform complication has consisted of a mix of a few inline style specifications and many differentiations of CSS selectors serving a multitude of uses into specific selectors, each serving one or a smaller set of uses.

Plugin Contributions

Please see my final solution. Thank you for your attention to this issue.