Plugin Contributions

Default Site has stopped sending outgoing email

Hi there,

At the beginning of January my site, for no discernible reason stopped sending outgoing email (order confirmations and emails from some custom forms I have on the site). I have had my hosting company saying that the server is not the issue, and my developer saying it must be. He provided a script to test:

"This is the test email script we wrote that is outside zencart. If that script works on other server then it should work on your server also. Ask them to check this page script http://dev.giftofskill.co.nz/dev/emailtest.php. Tell them this email works fine on other server with different from email address."

I asked my server administrator to try this and he did, but replied with: "I have installed the tool at /email_test/ folder at root of your server. I did some tests but no email went through. while functions don't return errors."

I've attached screenshots of my email configuration in ZenCart too.

I have tried sending an email from within ZenCart admin to myself, and this has not been delivered either.

I paid someone to upgrade my zencart installation last year, but as far as I can tell they didn't do this successfully, just installed the URI mapping plugin (which I asked him to do). However, he must have done something as a whole bunch of customisations went wrong at that time, although the email issue does not appear to be related to this as it has happened much later.

My site is www.giftofskill.co.nz (my developer works on test site: www.giftofskill.co.nz/dev). Below are details from the "Server Info" page of my Zencart Admin:
    =======================================
    Server Host: vs-benrickard.au.syrahost.com (203.170.81.237) Database Host: localhost (127.0.0.1)
    Server OS: Linux 2.6.18-028stab070.14 Database: MySQL 5.0.95
    Server Date: 01/30/2014 16:12:40 Database Date: 01/30/2014 16:12:40
    Server Up Time: 16:12:40 up 93 days, 5:26, 0 users, load average: 0.07, 0.06, 0.01 HTTP Server: Apache/2.2.3 (CentOS)
    PHP Version: 5.3.3 (Zend: 2.3.0) PHP Memory Limit: 128M PHP Safe Mode: Off
    PHP File Uploads: On Max Size: 2M POST Max Size: 8M
    Database Data Size: 4,230 kB Database Index Size: 938 kB

Zen Cart
    Zen Cart 1.3.8a

Patch: 1::

Database Patch Level: 1.3.8

v1.3.8 [2010-09-29 17:53:22] (Fresh Installation)
    v1.3.8 [2010-09-29 17:53:22] (Fresh Installation)
    ====================================
    I would really appreciate some advice/assistance to resolve this as I've had three different experts working on it to no avail (hosting provider, my developer and my server administrator). I'd love to upgrade and migrate all my customisations to the new version, but am also conscious of waiting for 1.6 also (which sounds great with mobile etc) and then having to do it all again. Plus, the last time I contracted someone to do the upgrade they stuffed it up and left me in the lurch.

Thanks very much!

Ben.
    www.giftofskill.co.nz
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	emailconfiguration1.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	13726   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	emailconfiguration2.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	13727  

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Site has stopped sending outgoing email

A couple of things:

Check these first:

http://www.zen-cart.com/content.php?...ved-or-sending

If the problem began suddenly, especially at the first of the month/year, I would assume the host made some changes to the server configuration, regardless of what they say.

Your old version of Zencart is susceptible to hacking, which may also be at least a part of your problem. I would make upgrading to at least 1.3.9h your first priority.

Plugin Contributions

Hi stevesh,

Yes, I had checked all the threads and wikis on this topic thanks. Good news, my server administrator identified and resolved the problem today:

"We were using postfix as mail server. After a security upgrade on our server, it stopped listing at port 25 for some reason. Since we have moved our incoming emails to Google & to make things simple I replaced it with sendmail (very basic email server) and all seem to work normally."

So problem solved, although I still have the issue of upgrading. Perhaps you could offer some advice: I have a developer (a PHP expert but not a ZenCart expert) who has done a number of customisations to my site, but hasn't done ZenCart upgrades. Am I better to stick with him, given he knows the customisations well (and has done good work) or switch to a different developer who is a ZenCart expert and would be able to understand and upgrade the site, but also understand the customisations? Thanks, Ben.

Plugin Contributions

Hard to say. Upgrading a stock Zencart site from 1.3.8 to 1.3.9h (or, better, 1.5.1) is a pretty straightforward process, with tutorials available in the FAQ area. The problems come in when you have added all sorts of plugins (from the Plugins area or custom), some of which may not be compatible with the latest version. If you have a lot of mods, someone with PHP knowledge would be handy, since you'll need to merge some files.

You might also look at this as an opportunity to examine your site and see if you really need all the mods, anyway. Your site is based on one of the most interesting ideas I've seen Zencart used for, but it's at least two years old, and it might be time to re-install in a subdirectory, using the latest Zencart version (I would probably wait for 1.5.2, but not 1.6) and update the styling and navigation, then move the new site to the root.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by kamokid View Post
    Hi stevesh,

Yes, I had checked all the threads and wikis on this topic thanks. Good news, my server administrator identified and resolved the problem today:

"We were using postfix as mail server. After a security upgrade on our server, it stopped listing at port 25 for some reason. Since we have moved our incoming emails to Google & to make things simple I replaced it with sendmail (very basic email server) and all seem to work normally."

So problem solved, although I still have the issue of upgrading. Perhaps you could offer some advice: I have a developer (a PHP expert but not a ZenCart expert) who has done a number of customisations to my site, but hasn't done ZenCart upgrades. Am I better to stick with him, given he knows the customisations well (and has done good work) or switch to a different developer who is a ZenCart expert and would be able to understand and upgrade the site, but also understand the customisations? Thanks, Ben.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevesh View Post
    Hard to say. Upgrading a stock Zencart site from 1.3.8 to 1.3.9h (or, better, 1.5.1) is a pretty straightforward process, with tutorials available in the FAQ area. The problems come in when you have added all sorts of plugins (from the Plugins area or custom), some of which may not be compatible with the latest version. If you have a lot of mods, someone with PHP knowledge would be handy, since you'll need to merge some files.

You might also look at this as an opportunity to examine your site and see if you really need all the mods, anyway. Your site is based on one of the most interesting ideas I've seen Zencart used for, but it's at least two years old, and it might be time to re-install in a subdirectory, using the latest Zencart version (I would probably wait for 1.5.2, but not 1.6) and update the styling and navigation, then move the new site to the root.
    I would agree with stevesh in a lot of ways. V1.5.2 is basically available; however, there may be some last minute changes as it continues to be tested and hasn't received final release status. Unless your programmer has given reason, I would stick wiith them at least to try perform the upgrade. Otherwise, if they also choose to stay with you, they may have to undo mistakes made by someone else and to incorporate the mods that have survived the transition. Yes there is likely to be a bit of learning, but if the business relationship is sound and the approach taken allows you to stay in business (general instructions/help documents suggest the way(s) to accomplish that) then at least business can progress while development is occurring. Fortunately you don't seem to be in a must have it now situation, so I would suggest beginning such a transition/discussion while "time is on your side". At worst, the two of you have a good discussion about the direction of the site, your developer let's you know what types of changes have been made/plugins that have been installed, and a plan is developed for how things are to look/operate moving forward.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

OK, that sounds like great advice, thanks. I'm really keen to update the styling & navigation as you suggest, add a blog and more areas for content, Facebook comments for each product and go to e-mail only delivery (allowing clients to select from a range of templates for their voucher). I will wait to do those things once the site is upgraded to 1.5.2. I'll also speak to my developer about the upgrade and reviewing our mods. Thanks again.