Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Customers sharing contents in shopping basket

Okay so I have searched the forum and found many others who were having this issue way back in 2007 but see no resolution on how to fix it. Bascially this is what is happening,

1) Customer posts link on facebook to product page. However, it includes the zenid at the end of the product url.
    2) All future customers who click the facebook link to the product now have a shopping basket that is shared by other active customers who are using the link
    3) This sharing happens without logging in to my site.

Over the last week I had 30 plus customers contact me about this issue. After getting replies of how they are getting to my site the common variable was the facebook which I investigated and found the zenid in it. A weird issue is that when the facebook link is clicked, the zen id will show on all pages for all clicks. My site is working correctly as if I was to go to my site without the link the zenid shows on first load and disspears on second click and after.

Is their a solution to this issue of forcing a different zenid session if customer links include the zenid in the url? Or is their another working solution to this problem.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Customers sharing contents in shopping basket

Is the original customer posting a link with the zenid individually, or is he clicking some sort of Facebook thing on your site ? If the latter, it looks like this strips the zenid:

http://www.zen-cart.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=207

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by stevesh View Post
    Is the original customer posting a link with the zenid individually, or is he clicking some sort of Facebook thing on your site ? If the latter, it looks like this strips the zenid:

http://www.zen-cart.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=207
    There is no facebook or social media plugins on the site. They are grabbing the product page url to share with their friends and family. So it seems that when they open that product page url as the first page, it is showing the zenid in the bar.

I know that a member back in 2009 commented that changing the "zenid" to something else like "sesid" would solve it temporarily until another customer uses the new "sesid" in a link. But that was with ZC v1.3.0 and the file structures have changed. I checked the developers toolkit and found 4 files that hardcode the zenid but don't know if changing all of them would make a difference.

Any advice on how to proceed as I have to figure more shop owners are experiencing this. I know that Dr Byte and others have said to not post zenids when linking but I cannot see how customers would know any better.

Plugin Contributions

What version zen-cart?
    Other info from the posting tips above (when you reply)?

Check that admin->sessions->Recreate Session is set to true

Plugin Contributions

Sorry didn't mean to avoid the posting tips:

Fresh install of ZC v1.50 by using the recommended zc install method and using core ftp to transfer file structure. Mods currently installed are tabbed products pro and stirling grand template. I think the template also came with column layout grid, flexible footer menu and responsive layout 1.0.

Been using 1.50 for the last 10 months with no issues. Everything works perfectly. But as our customer base grows, it is inevitable that customers will want to share our products with others. This is where this particular issue came to my attention as it was unusual for 30 or more emails to get routed with the same concern of "why their shopping baskets were having additional items added".

Under Admin - Sessions I have the following:

Session Directory /home/abtolley/public_html/cache
    Cookie Domain True
    Force Cookie Use False
    Check SSL Session ID False
    Check User Agent False
    Check IP Address False
    Prevent Spider Sessions True
    Recreate Session True
    IP to Host Conversion Status true
    Use root path for cookie path False
    Add period prefix to cookie domain True

Plugin Contributions

http://www.zen-cart.com/showthread.p...460#post894460

Can someone clarify if the above post in 2010 by Dr byte can be implemented on the front end for customers like it is for search engines. This might solve all future issues when customers post links to my sites.

Plugin Contributions

Okay so after some trial and error, I decided to do a replace of all the instances of "zenid" with "sesid"in 4 files. Files inlcuded:

Code:
    ipn_main_handler.php
    includes/application_top.php
    includes/init_includes/init_canonical.php
    includes/init_includes/init_sessions.php
    I tested it by clicking that facebook link with my zenid and it initially shows as zenid in the url. But on the 2nd click for any link on my site it now updates the session to "sesid" with a new id number. Using 2 browsers each one now has their own cart contents.

I know it is a workaround and wanted to know if any other files need to be modified to reflect the "sesid".

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mtncycling View Post
    Under Admin - Sessions I have the following:

Force Cookie Use False
    Set this to "True".

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by RodG View Post
    Set this to "True".
    Thanks RodG, have done that just now. I remember reading the help topics from above and it was recommended to leave all other session configs as default. But hopefully this helps.

Do you know if this setting overrides the zenid session? What I am asking is as long as the customers are allowing cookies on their browsers, the zenid session will not be used at all? And to follow on that if I am right the only way this problem will show up again is if 2 or more customers who used the link disabled cookies in their browsers?

Alongside that I have reverted back from "sesid" to "zenid" in hopes the forcing cookies fixes the issue. To be honest, it was working fine from I can see with the "sesid" but I don't know if it will affect other site processes. Hopefully one of the zencart devs can chime in on this if the 4 files to replace "zenid" is the only ones needed with no other file or database modifications.

Plugin Contributions

Do you know if this setting overrides the zenid session?
    It should do (if I understand its workings correctly). I'm happy if someone corrects me on this though.

What I am asking is as long as the customers are allowing cookies on their browsers, the zenid session will not be used at all?
    Correct.
    However, this is the downside to setting Force Cookie Use to 'True' because if the customers don't allow cookies this will cause them all sorts of problems.

And to follow on that if I am right the only way this problem will show up again is if 2 or more customers who used the link disabled cookies in their browsers?
    The zenid shouldn't show if cookies are enabled (and functioning correctly). The 'force cookie use' will effectively prevent the zenid by forcing cookie use.

Alongside that I have reverted back from "sesid" to "zenid" in hopes the forcing cookies fixes the issue. To be honest, it was working fine from I can see with the "sesid" but I don't know if it will affect other site processes. Hopefully one of the zencart devs can chime in on this if the 4 files to replace "zenid" is the only ones needed with no other file or database modifications.
    Changing the 'zenid' to 'sesid' (or anything else) would only be a temporary measure to fix the root cause of the problem anyway. It would only be a matter of time before someone posts links containing their 'sesid' and you'll be back where you started.

It is my understanding that forcing cookie use will prevent the 'xxxId' from being displayed in the URL's in the 1st place. As stated, this will cause problems for those that disable cookies though.

Again, I'm no expert in this aspect of the zencart code, but I'm sure if I'm wrong someone will step in to correct me and/or clarify the issue.

Cheers
    RodG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast