Plugin Contributions

Default help needed with backup and moving to another host

hi

i followed this guide:
    https://www.zen-cart.com/content.php...fferent-server

the backed up store belongs to v139h. i have moved hosting company and have had to install the backup on a fresh ftp install of v151. i understand the guide says use the same version files when doing a fresh install, but i can't obtain the v139h files as it was done through simplescripts.

the fresh install v151h was working 100% fine, so i decided to upload my backed up v139h store by ftp. but now i check the link of the store, there is nothing there, it just asks me to download a file..

i am hoping somebody can tell me where i have gone wrong, this is first time back up and upload attempt for me.

backed up store link is
    Code:
    http://yang.yjgchina.com
    thanks.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: help needed with backup and moving to another host

Download the 1.3.9h files here,
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/zenc...ull%20Release/

Then follow up procedure for moving hosts in the link that you posted above.
    You would need to do an upgrade if you wanted to go up to 1.5.1, that process is different to the steps of moving host.

Plugin Contributions

And as Dr. Byte and just about all upgraders would say, do one or the other, move your site or upgrade it, but don't do both at the same time.

If you must leave the old site, upload the 1.3.9h version to your new site and get it setup to "minimally" function then move your old site to your new site. Then... Upgrade.

If you still have time and can afford the cost of both sites being "active" then you could upgrade your old site and then move it to your new location, but I would think this riskier. So would go with the first option.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

thank you very much guys, for the link and suggestions. i am going to try this and hopefully it works.

just to be sure will i need to have the the back up admin folder the same name to the fresh install admin folder before uploading?
    and it also says not to overwrite the configure.php files, so i can just delete/move them from the backup store before uploading?

thanks

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by yanxin View Post
    thank you very much guys, for the link and suggestions. i am going to try this and hopefully it works.

just to be sure will i need to have the the back up admin folder the same name to the fresh install admin folder before uploading?
    and it also says not to overwrite the configure.php files, so i can just delete/move them from the backup store before uploading?

thanks
    No, the backup admin folder does not need to be the same as the new install.

The old configure.php files just should not overwrite your existing configure.php files. The tutorial provides step by step instructions. They should be followed as written otherwise likely to make a mess and have to start over..

Plugin Contributions

ok thanks for that.

if i built a new store, and wanted to move just the customers over from my other store, is that possible? so they can login and shop using their log in information from the other store.

Plugin Contributions

ok thanks for that.

if i built a new store, and wanted to move just the customers over from my other store, is that possible? so they can login and shop using their log in information from the other store.
    Are you looking to maintain two different stores with one set of login, or is it going to be a "transfer" of databases/stores? There is a good bit of history that goes with each customer and purchase which is also tied to specific products. Because of that, not transferring all product/people information will result in historical data being lost. Relatively easy would be to use SQL Database Backup to backup all of the data, then remove the tables from the file that are not applicable to restoring the information. Just my two cents though.

If trying to have two stores using the same login data, then I think there is a multi-store plugin that would help with that.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mc12345678 View Post
    Are you looking to maintain two different stores with one set of login, or is it going to be a "transfer" of databases/stores? There is a good bit of history that goes with each customer and purchase which is also tied to specific products. Because of that, not transferring all product/people information will result in historical data being lost. Relatively easy would be to use SQL Database Backup to backup all of the data, then remove the tables from the file that are not applicable to restoring the information. Just my two cents though.

If trying to have two stores using the same login data, then I think there is a multi-store plugin that would help with that.
    hi it doesn't matter about customer history being lost etc all i want is for them to be able to log into the new website so they don't have to all register again. the website will have totally different products from the first website. i could send them all a mass email asking them to register but i would rather they are already registered. so basically i just want to clone the customers over and nothing more. is there a guide on how to do this for example what part of sql to backup etc?

thanks

Plugin Contributions

hi it doesn't matter about customer history being lost etc all i want is for them to be able to log into the new website so they don't have to all register again. the website will have totally different products from the first website. i could send them all a mass email asking them to register but i would rather they are already registered. so basically i just want to clone the customers over and nothing more. is there a guide on how to do this for example what part of sql to backup etc?

thanks
    Okay, so you are wanting to keep both sites active, but with different products. I thought the multi-site plugin would allow you to maintain two sets of products, all controlled from a single admin login but controlling multiple different sitesm. So, the issue your customers will have ifu simply clone off the tables is that when it comes timme to or they happen to change their password in one store, the others won't follow. Also things like their addresses (personal and favorite) etc... All of that will be behind in one store or another.