Thread: Image question

Plugin Contributions

Default Image question

I will be getting a new website this week and uses zencart. My question is my images are big 1920 x . Do you recommend that I resize these beforehand. I'm trying to get myself ready for the change over and do what I can. I know the article on here mentions there are 3 sizes that zencart uses but unsure if mine are way too big to start. Should I do these manually through paint and if so what size should I get them.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Image question

Quote Originally Posted by Ginger9909 View Post
    I will be getting a new website this week and uses zencart. My question is my images are big 1920 x . Do you recommend that I resize these beforehand. I'm trying to get myself ready for the change over and do what I can. I know the article on here mentions there are 3 sizes that zencart uses but unsure if mine are way too big to start. Should I do these manually through paint and if so what size should I get them.
    Image handler 4. (Assuming that you will start off with ZC 1.5.1 as it is the latest approved version.)
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Thank you for the response. I will read further on image handler 4 and forget about doing my manual changes for now.

Plugin Contributions

Thank you for the response. I will read further on image handler 4 and forget about doing my manual changes for now.
    Welcome. You will still need to figure out what size images you will want, as it allows you to pick to what size you want to downsize the image(s). (Ie, it doesn't make them bigger than they already are, but can shrink them to a uniform size with relative little loss in quality.) Read through the manual several times, and when you have a question, read through it (or the forum) again. If it's already covered, you will be told that. :)
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

If you'd like to see what Image Handler does, visit either of the sites in my sig. Both use it.
    Mary Ellen
    I came; I saw; I Zenned
    Taking over the world... one website at a time
    Make sure brain is engaged before putting mouth in gear... or fingers to keyboard.

Holzheimer
    Fan Odyssey

Plugin Contributions

My question is my images are big 1920 x . Do you recommend that I resize these beforehand
    Yes, If jpeg's you might find this useful
    http://www.fookes.com/ezthumbs/
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Apart from installing Image Handler IH4 (which I would do anyway), you may want to establish if you really need images of that enormous size. If not, then do a batch resize using something like Gimp (free equivalent to Photoshop) which allows you to resize any number of images in one hit.

After all - IH4 installed or not - these huge images are taking up plenty of disk space on your server.