Thread: Upgrading

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Upgrading

I'm in the process of upgrading from1.3.8b to 1.5.1. I'm working on a Mac. I've installed Text Wrangler to compare files for changes.

I'm a newbie so I expect this may turn out to be a really dumb question. Here goes:

There are about 1600 files to compare and evidently Text Wrangler can only compare files, not folders when used in conjunction with Dreamweaver. My question is: do I have to compare every single file, or is there a list somewhere of the files which may have been changed/altered or a list of files which would not be changed?

I'm using the Classic template and don't think there are any add-ons. I do see the zx138a_php53 patch for the security issue with 1.3.8. The site only uses Paypal for payments.

I've inherited this site and am tasked with the upgrade. Therefore, I don't know exactly what has been or not been done with the site.

Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: comparing files

1. Here are some suggested tools for Mac and other operating systems: http://www.zen-cart.com/wiki/index.php/Useful_Tools

2. You really *should* compare YOUR site's files against the ORIGINAL v138a files to first determine the changes your staff have made to the site. Then, once you're armed with that VERY important information, you can relatively easily reconstruct those changes onto the latest version.
    (The changes your staff made will be far fewer than what the ZC developers did in the span of 6+ years between the versions you're upgrading through.)

3. http://www.zen-cart.com/entry.php?3-...d-of-upgrading

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: comparing files

Forgive me if this is a very dumb question (but remember, I'm very new and insecure!). If I understand your reply, I need to check all 1500+ files with TextWrangler to see what, if any differences exist for every single file? Then, whatever changes I find, I correct the code in the upgrade (currently /zentest1/) and then everything should look like the 1.3.8 version's webstore?

And--how do I get the 1.3.8 products into the new upgrade version? I've imported the database (and it says it was successful) but in the test store I don't see anything from the webstore. I'm using the classic template and the structure is the same, so that makes me slightly more comfortable (but only slightly!)

Thanks for your patience.

Plugin Contributions

Default Upgrade seems successful, BUT no products!

I upgraded from 1.3.8 to 1.5.1. by carefully following the upgrade instructions. I have reached the Successful Install page. I can open the test site and things appear to function as expected. I'm slogging my way through almost 1600 files with TextWrangler to compare changes as per this forums advice. It has taken me over 12 hours to compare all the different lines of code in just the includes files that appear on both the old and new versions. There's still new files and old files not in the new version to parse. (I swear it would take less time to start from scratch! I must be missing something here.) In any event...

It occurs to me that maybe something is still not right or finalized with the upgrade. Everything on the test site is from the template (classic) and none of the original webstore's products, categories, etc. show up. I believe I've uploaded the database (I made a copy of the original, renamed it and used that copy in the install and upgrade.

How do I get the products, categories, etc. into the test site? What am I missing here? I have searched the forum and the web and I'm not finding any answers. Keep in mind that I inherited this site, am a newbie to zencart (for the most part), understand a little bit about code and css stylesheets. I've been learning a lot from the forums but also am getting more and more certain that I cannot do this upgrade--it's just too complex and there are too many files. I have no notes from the original install so that is no help.

Thanks for whatever you can do to help.

[Note: I have been able to customize the home page with the store's logo, but that's about it.]

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Upgrade seems successful, BUT no products!

You might want to read the documentation in the /docs directory of the new Zen Cart that you are installing ...

Then, search the FAQs, WIKI and forum for the word:
    upgrade

There are a number of references to how to upgrade that should assist you in the Upgrade processes ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by bluelion View Post
    I believe I've uploaded the database (I made a copy of the original, renamed it and used that copy in the install and upgrade.
    If you imported the old data into the new database and THEN ran zc_install to do a NEW install (not selecting "upgrade") then you wiped out the contents of that imported data.
    That's why the upgrade guide says for setting up a test site that you first do a new install and then import the data into that new database, and then run the database-upgrade.

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Thank you so much for following this query--I'm sure you are very tired of the same old issues cropping up over and over.

Can you figure out what I am doing wrong?

Here's what I have done (four times now!) and I have followed, as carefully as possible, the Install and Upgrade instructions provided in this forum:

Install zc 1.5.1. Run zentest/zc_install. For the database, I select a copy of my 1.3.8's database, not the original one. Reach the success page.

Change config. files in admin and Includes from 444 to 755.

Run zc_install again. When I get to the Zen Cart Setup - Database Upgrade, I have the following info:

Upgrade sniffer predicts: ***No upgrade required***

(When I have done nothing, therefore, except hit the update cfg. button, my data is still not loaded.)

I check: Upgrade DB from 1.3.8 to 1.3.9, 1.3.9 to 1.5.0, 1.5.0 to 1.5.1

Leave New Table-Prefix blank

Enter Admin user name and password.
    Update Database Now.

is this what's wiping my data? If so, do I just check the "done with updates" ?

Thanks for the handholding. I'm so frustrated and intimidated by this process and desparate to get it working. (Also, as a side note, I can no longer access the 1.3.8a version's admin center. This was the issue that brought me to doing the upgrade--I worked for a couple of weeks with Ajeh's help through the forum without success. My webstore owner is getting concerned, understandably, although the only payment module activated was paypal, so she should be able to get order info via PayPal instead of going through admin.)

Plugin Contributions

Additional question: I have read and reread your posting. (And believe me, I have read the documentation for install and upgrade so many times I think I have it memorized.) I guess I just don't understand the obvious:

You wrote:

That's why the upgrade guide says for setting up a test site that you first do a new install and then import the data into that new database, and then run the database-upgrade.

When I go through the new install and come to the database setup page, what db should I load?

Can I just go into the config. php files and change the initially loaded db to the original one from 1.3.8 and have it work? It couldn't be that easy, could it?

I don't understand how to import the old database and have it overwrite whatever is currently in place.

Sorry for being so dense...I think this really is rocket science!

Plugin Contributions

I have made some small progress but still no products. I started over and have once again gotten to the success page. I created a new database (zentest6), copied the old database into it, changed the config. files in admin and includes to reflect the new db name, and lo and behold, now the "store" no longer shows the demo products, and admin no longer shows Bill Smith as the first and only customer.

BUT:

I have no products, customer data, images, etc. The webstore is the Zencart Classic template. I can live with that if I can just get the products back...I don't mind rebuilding the template. (Remember, I inherited this site and don't know exactly what was done, added on, etc., but I figure not much was changed as the original store is very similar to the Classic template.)

I promise you I've read and re-read the install and upgrade instructions.

What do I do next to get the products, customer data, etc. in place? (For what it's worth, I checked the original db and customer and product info is there, so at least I haven't managed to lose that!).

Once again, thank you for any help you can give me. If it's possible to be specific (not just "read the install and upgrade info) that would be great.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Product images are just files on your server, located in the /images/ folder.
    So, if you're moving everything to a new directory, then you'll need to move or copy your /images/ folder and subfolders to that new location in order to see them.

If your configure.php file has set the DB_XXXXX settings to point to the correct new database and correct table-prefix, then all your data should be displayed. But that supposes that the specified database actually contains the data. It sounds like you've pointed yours to an empty database created by installing ZC without demo products.

Your earlier post confirms this:
    Install zc 1.5.1. Run zentest/zc_install. For the database, I select a copy of my 1.3.8's database, not the original one. Reach the success page.
    You used zc_install to install overtop of your "copy of my 1.3.8's database", effectively wiping out its contents.
    Run zc_install again. When I get to the Zen Cart Setup - Database Upgrade, I have the following info:

Upgrade sniffer predicts: ***No upgrade required***
    no-upgrade-required because you just installed a new set of data overtop of your old database.

So, while I respect that you've said you've read the upgrade instructions a thousand times, I'll clarify again: it tells you to install ZC into that new database, and THEN import your old database contents into that database, and then run zc_install again to ask it to do the upgrade.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast