Plugin Contributions

Idea or Suggestion Plugin installing

Hi I've looked through the wiki and used search to no avail.

I have never used an ecommerce before. I am more used to forums personally.

How are plugins installed on zencart? Is it all manually done using notepad ++?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Plugin installing

Quote Originally Posted by kwalitykards View Post
    Hi I've looked through the wiki and used search to no avail.

I have never used an ecommerce before. I am more used to forums personally.

Hmmm, how to explain. There is a combination of methods to install a plugin, depending on the plugin. Some, ftp the files to the server, click on any link while in the admin panel and the job is done. Others, well, upload some files, enter this into a sql query, go to this menu, change a setting to this, go here modify this text to read like this or as desired, etc...

I can't say I have heard that many use notepad++, but I haven't heard not to. There's a lot of other programs that might be more useful, I know that ZC recommends 2 of everything. there are two recommended ftp programs, 2 suggested editors, 2 program "editors", etc... I use one of each of them. :) anyways, something that offers line numbers, can handle text editing, preferably with format checking, etc... But for a basic ZC? ftp and a basic text editor should be sufficient. Again look into the FAQs, there is great help and basic info to help get you started, and keep looking through the forums. Probably your question has already been answered if just starting out.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Also, in most cases, the mod has a .txt or .html file which explains the installation process.

Plugin Contributions

If there is anything that needs to be edited inside a file (you may want to customize wording or styling, for instance), you will want to use Notepad++ (free) or a similar file editor. It is possible to use the basic Notepad, though you can corrupt a file with it if you have the wrong settings, but DO NOT use Word or any other word processor - they can massively corrupt PHP files.

If you only need to change folder names to match your custom template or secret admin name, you can do it in your basic file handler before uploading the files to your host/server.

There will be numerous places where you will need to edit wording or styling in stock PHP and CSS files to customize your site to fit your exact needs; for this you will use Notepad++. Don't worry, you don't really need to know anything about PHP for basic customization. You do need a basic understanding of CSS if you want to make the style of your site your own.

Plugin Contributions

I'll answer what I wish someone had told me at the start.

They are NOT plugins!

They are a collection of files, some new, some with changes that need to be merged into existing files and maybe an sql command to add new fields to the database if those files require it.
    Its a manual process, how difficult depends on who has written the mod and how much effort they have made to make the code suitable for all, and not just their site that they deveoped the mod on.
    Mods will not be plugins until Zen Cart 2.

So, when you add anything to your site, do it with one thing in mind...how do I remove them again!

Keep a copy of what you installed, what went wrong, make notes, add comments to the files you change etc...because when you upgrade you will need to see easily what changes you have made and why, when you compare against new versions of those files.

While certain mods are tried, tested and supported, others are not and so tread carefully, there is no quality control, anyone can upload a mod: just because it is in the list does not mean it is ok.

Test mods on a test site.

I always use Beyond Compare to see what is going where, never do blind copying , and always do it on a local development site. Often I disagree with the original mod structure and code quality and end up rewriting it.

Merge changes with Beyond Compare and open those files with a code editor that does php syntax checking lilke Eclipse or Dreamweaver to ensure you have not introduced basic errors which will cause a "white screen of death".

So the answer to the op question, is "with care", and always read the support thread for a mod prior to installing.
    Steve
    github.com/torvista: Spanish Language Pack, Google reCaptcha, Structured Data, Multiple Copy-Move-Delete, Image Checker, BackupMySQL Admin/Auto...