Plugin Contributions

Default New USPS shipping module won't install properly

Hi I'm trying to install the latest USPS shipping module, but after I drag the files into the correct directories, the righthand frame in Modules>Shipping suddenly disappears (after screen refresh). Just to be clear, by "righthand frame" I mean the column to the right of the "Action" column that contains the "edit", "Install", and "remove" options. Any thoughts?

Here are some possible complicating factors: I have two usps modules installed to handle different shipping zones, but they've been working fine for several months now. Also, last week I deleted my cache in the server, but I thought those were all temp files. After the cache was deleted, First Class shipping disappeared in ZenCart, which I thought just meant I had to upgrade the USPS module...and here we are.

Thanks everyone!
    -m

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: New USPS shipping module won't install properly

Sounds like you may have backup files in the directory:
    /includes/modules/shipping

or that you have files in the wrong location ...

Do you have any debug logs in the /cache directory?

Go to your Zen Cart Admin and go to Tools ... Developers Tool Kit ...

In the bottom input box enter:
    usps.php

Then, select Catalog ... click SEARCH ...

What comes up on the lines for:
    * @version $Id: usps.php
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Hi Ajeh,
    This is that I found (three items). usps.php is the unaltered module, usps2nd.php is the one i created for a different shipping zone. both php files have apparently been working fine until a few days ago. Would deleting the server cache have affected it somehow?

/home/gutsy/public_html/shop/includes/languages/english/modules/shipping/usps.php

Line #10 : * @version $Id: usps.php 2013-07-28 ajeh $ Version J 2013-07-28

/home/gutsy/public_html/shop/includes/languages/english/modules/shipping/usps2nd.php

Line #10 : * @version $Id: usps.php 2013-07-28 ajeh $ Version J 2013-07-28

/home/gutsy/public_html/shop/includes/modules/shipping/usps.php

Line #12 : * @version $Id: usps.php 2013-07-30 ajeh Version J5 $

Plugin Contributions

You have the USPS J5 version on the server and that one does not work with First Class so you need the current module for USPS March 7, 2014 K3 ...

You should subscribe to the News & Announcement thread:
    http://www.zen-cart.com/forumdisplay...-Announcements

Then, read the current announcement on USPS and get the current one:
    http://www.zen-cart.com/showthread.p...Class-changes)

I am guessing this language file belonged to your other copy of USPS:
    /shop/includes/languages/english/modules/shipping/usps2nd.php

What files are in the directory:
    /shop/includes/modules/shipping

Did you find any files in the /cache directory that would be generated when you go to your Zen Cart Admin Modules ... Shipping ...
    Linda McGrath

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]

Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Ajeh View Post
    You have the USPS J5 version on the server and that one does not work with First Class so you need the current module for USPS March 7, 2014 K3 ...
    That's what I tried to do, but it wouldn't install properly (righthand frame disappeared)

You should subscribe to the News & Announcement thread:
    http://www.zen-cart.com/forumdisplay...-Announcements
    will do

Then, read the current announcement on USPS and get the current one:
    http://www.zen-cart.com/showthread.p...Class-changes)

I am guessing this language file belonged to your other copy of USPS:
    /shop/includes/languages/english/modules/shipping/usps2nd.php
    yes
    What files are in the directory:
    /shop/includes/modules/shipping
    there's a usps2nd.php file, but i just didn't update the @version $Id: to that name
    Did you find any files in the /cache directory that would be generated when you go to your Zen Cart Admin Modules ... Shipping ...
    there's a lot of files in shop/cache but the filenames are cryptic. what should I be looking for?

Plugin Contributions

Go to your Zen Cart Admin and to the Modules ... Shipping ... what are the content(s) of the newest file(s) created in the /cache directory?

NOTE: you should not have any debug files in the /cache directory ... if you do, you have issues on your site that need to be corrected ...

The file:
    /includes/modules/shipping/usps2nd.php

could be creating an issue if you did not create it right ...

If you did create it right, it will also need to be upgraded to the new USPS March 7, 2014 K3 version as well ...
    Linda McGrath

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mallhattan View Post
    Hi Ajeh,
    This is that I found (three items). usps.php is the unaltered module, usps2nd.php is the one i created for a different shipping zone. both php files have apparently been working fine until a few days ago. Would deleting the server cache have affected it somehow?

/home/gutsy/public_html/shop/includes/languages/english/modules/shipping/usps.php
    /home/gutsy/public_html/shop/includes/languages/english/modules/shipping/usps2nd.php
    /home/gutsy/public_html/shop/includes/modules/shipping/usps.php
    For EVERY file you have in the /includes/languages/english/modules/shipping/ folder, you MUST have a file of the same name in /includes/modules/shipping/

So, either delete your usps2nd.php file from your /includes/languages/english/modules/shipping/ directory, or add a new re-cloned usps2nd.php file (AFTER editing its internal contents to make it a proper clone) to the /includes/modules/shipping/ directory.

Better to start with deleting the usps2nd.php files first. Then once things are working correctly you can consider creating a new clone for other purposes.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Ajeh View Post
    Go to your Zen Cart Admin and to the Modules ... Shipping ... what are the content(s) of the newest file(s) created in the /cache directory?
    I'm still confused about what you mean...is this something I do in FTP, in which case I don't know where the "Zen Cart Admin" folder is, or is this something I do in the browser in the ZenCart Admin backend, in which case there is no mention of a file on the Modules>Shipping page

the only cache directory i know of is in public_html/shop/cache. in that folder, there are many files that start with "myDEBUG-adm-..." or "Linkpoint_debug_..."
    Last edited by mallhattan; 11 Mar 2014 at 01:40 PM.

Plugin Contributions

thanks, I've deleted all the old usps.php files and re-installed the updated module and everything works...now to generate a new clone file