Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Confused student

First and foremost I read lhungil's post. That is why I went back to a previous snapshot and loaded Zencart under the default of /var/www/ to make things a bit more simple. Zencart is sitting under /var/www/ as of now. I went into /admin/incudes/dist-configuration.php and left it as local host changed the name from dist-configuration.php to configuration.php and made the permission changes to 777 I shotgunned everything from /var/www/ to 777 (I am not concerned about security since it is simply an exercise) went to firefox and typed in http://localhost/zencart/ with negative results then typed in http://127.0.0.1 and I see my Apache 2 testpage. I then type in http://127.0.0.1/zencart/ negative results the same for /zencart/zc_install. I also went in to the configuration.php file and did this Name:  configure.php new.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  51.5 KB
    Thank You
    Steve
    I understand most of you do this for a living or have been doing it for a while. Thank you for taking your time to help. This is my first attempt to do anything like this after having black and white instructions for the last 15.5 years of being USAF Security. I was forced to retire due to health reasons. I have not been able to take any server or networking classes yet they start next term. This is all foreign to me, so responses like did you read what he said is not helpful in fact it is degrading. Yes I read it, I even tried to fix it but apparently I did not understated fully. This is a 40 year old dog trying to learn a new trick.
    Respectfully
    The old dog.

Plugin Contributions

So have you run zc_install yet (or tried to)? You don't appear to have said so.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by snccoulter View Post
    For our final project for the term is to get CentOS running within a VM with a GUI then install a lamp and get Zencart up.
    Although not immediately important, but it could be useful to know the O/S being used on the 'bare metal', as well as the HyperVisor being used.

With SSH access from another CentOS VM.
    Personally, I'd be tackling this before even considering installing LAMP and ZenCart. Actually, I'd go one further and suggest you get TELNET functioning between the two VM's first. This is the easiest protocol to setup, with telnet being a core part of any linux installation.

SSH is only a smidgen more difficult mainly on account of the fact that it has a lot of configuration possibilities.

I digress.... Before LAMP and ZenCart, get the SSH functioning.

I have the CentOS VMs running with Apache running. I can see the test page with Firefox at address 127.0.0.1 my question is what do I do from here.
    Leave this as is, get the SSH functional.

I think I am supposed transfer the zencart to my choice of directory so I did. It is under /www/zencart/ then the rest of the files were transferred by filezilla.
    What are 'the rest of the files'?

I have all the files and folders at 777 from zencart down. I tried to change the files according to the instructions but I think I lost something in translation from the ones that understand to my limited understanding.
    file: /catalog/includes/dist-configure.php (renamed)
    Rename this file to configure.php and change the permissions to 777 (read-write-execute for all)
    Next, on the server locate the file: /catalog/admin/includes/dist-configure.php (renamed)
    Rename this file to configure.php and change the permissions to 777 (read-write-execute for all)
    I put 127.0.0.1 in the location it asked for an address (I think it is the right thing to do) then I changed the name of the file like instructed and then input the address into firefox 127.0.0.1/www/zencart/zc_install/includes/configure.php
    You mustn't go changing folder/file permissions 'willy nilly'. This can cause some problems as well as solve others.

This is where I get the error please point me in the correct direction.
    Thanks
    Steve
    Unless I've missed something, you haven't actually told us what 'the error' is.

Nonetherless, the reason I'm suggesting you take care of the SSH requirement first is because this will introduce you to IP addresses and hostnames. Whilst setting this up you'll be giving both VM's a unique IP address, and these are the addresses that you'll be needing to enter into the zencart configuration settings.

The address 127.0.0.1 is fine if the client (web browser) and the server (zencart) are both on the same VM, but your requirement is for 2 VM's, which I assume is client on one, server on the other, in which case 127.0.0.1 (aka 'localhost') won't work.

Cheers
    RodG

Plugin Contributions

Thanks RodG. I will tackle the SSH today. The error I get is 404 file not found.
    Gjh42 I have tried zc_install and get 404 file not found.

Thanks

Plugin Contributions

Thanks RodG. I will tackle the SSH today. The error I get is 404 file not found.
    Gjh42 I have tried zc_install and get 404 file not found.

Thanks
    In which path do you have the folders: includes, images, admin, etc storedin? From a previous post it sounded like it was in the www directory or it was in the zencart directory off of www: var/www/zencart.

I again recommend putting a simple file into the directory that is being accessed to verify all other things are correct to show the file. Even a php file like:
    Code:
    <?php
    Echo "Hello World!";
    ?>
    Preferably, something that has proper html encoding, but

Also, are you trying to access the ZC server from the server itself or from your alternate location?
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for the help between you all and a new set of directions installing LAMP I was able to get it to work basically. What I did was copy the folders to /var/www/html. This is the address I used for the install 192.168.91.141/zc_install but I was given this error. date.timezone is not set in php is this the right direction to go in date.timezone = "Europe/Brussels" obviously I will find out what mine is america/pacific

Thanks Steve

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for the help between you all and a new set of directions installing LAMP I was able to get it to work basically. What I did was copy the folders to /var/www/html. This is the address I used for the install 192.168.91.141/zc_install but I was given this error. date.timezone is not set in php is this the right direction to go in date.timezone = "Europe/Brussels" obviously I will find out what mine is america/pacific

Thanks Steve
    So, you've basically got your first Zen Cart store installed... Now you are dealing with some of the "upgrade" aspects of it. Ideally your php would already have the timezone set in it, but there is a way to do that through ZC. Also. Where to find that part? Well, kinda want to say. Welcome to Zen Cart! :) as several of those that have provided assistance in here would say, school of hard knox is where a lot have gained their experience. Backup, try, break, restore... Repeat until successful. :)

You may also want to search for the main topic of your issue: date.timezone. Even better is if/when you use the letters php with that search (which in this case is related to that problem). Sometimes, unfortunately, one must go outside of the ZC forum to search for a ZC article that relates/has a solution. Not sure why the integrated search isn't as good at finding related information. Anyways... I'm not trying to be a pain in your side. While there are plenty of helpful people on the forum, and it seems you have nearly completed your assignment (or so it seems), hopefully you learn more than the fact that open source rules and there are a lot of knowledgeable people out there that can be quite helpful.

That said, in your installation process, did you return your configure.php files back to using relative paths for all of the directories, or are they all still hard coded? If the later, hope your instructor doesn't say, okay, now I want you to move your store to: xxxx.

Plugin Contributions

I figured it out. Went into the php.ini file and added the date and time, and it is up and running. Tanks everyone for your help. The dog now knows a new trick.

Plugin Contributions

I figured it out. Went into the php.ini file and added the date and time, and it is up and running. Tanks everyone for your help. The dog now knows a new trick.
    Hopefully you've been keeping a backup copy of the various files that you've been editing, because the chances are, before your instructor even begins to assess you on this project, the 1st thing s/he will want is to see is these backups.

Good luck.
    Cheers
    Rod

Certificate IV in Training and Assessment (ICT)

Plugin Contributions

Also, is it correct as stated in the first post:
    get Zencart up
    that is all that is needed? No purchase processed, no products of any particular setup, shipping, taxes, etc...? Or installation of any particular "plugins"?

Ie. Final project, probably 4 days to a week of time, and done?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast