Plugin Contributions

help question UK PayPal problem?

Hello,

I recently had a customer from the UK attempt to order items from my shop (in the US) with the PayPal express module. Over the phone, I walked through the process that she had already done and got the same results. She/I entered all the credit card information and then entered the shipping information (items were going to different address). Everything seemed to be going fine so far. But then instead of completing the order, it again required the payment card to be entered. The customer said that she did that several times but kept getting the same results. I didn't attempt that myself with her on the phone.

I had previously placed test orders myself both using a PayPal account and checking out as a guest and never ran into this. I'm not if its an issue with the particular card the customer used or something particular to the UK version or whether its related to having a different shipping address. That last confused me since PayPal isn't doing any shipping - the customer already has their shipping info in my store.

Can anyone shed any light on this? I know I can probably look at help through PayPal but I thought I'd start here.
    Ellie Armsby

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: UK PayPal problem?

PayPal Express Checkout takes the customer to PayPal's site to complete payment. If it was on the PayPal site that it kept asking her to enter payment details, then the problem is on the PayPal end.

That said, if PayPal is having a problem because of cross-border issues, it might help for you to enable PayPal module Debug Logging To File and send those logs to PayPal to determine why they're rejecting her payment. http://www.zen-cart.com/showthread.p...Logging-PayPal

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks DrByte. I do have logging (to ffile) turned on but I'm seeing files that start with ipn_ not anything with PayPal_ does this indicate some kind of problem with the way I set it up?

Also, I've now had a second person in Europe have trouble getting the PayPal transaction to go through. In looking at my PayPal Express Checkout conig values I noticed that I had set transaction currency to ONLY USD. I wonder if this might be causing the problem for those checking out outside of the US? I assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that since I am in the US and can't deposit other currencies into my bank account, that was what I should set it as, but maybe that is preventing people in other countries from paying? Thoughts?
    Ellie Armsby

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

When you have the Paypal module set to USD Only, you should configure you PayPal Account to have only a USD currency balance, so payments can't be made in other currencies. That way PayPal will auto-convert the currency for the customer, and the customer contends with the exchange-rate issues.

But if you have other currencies in your store, you will need to create PayPal currency balances for those other currencies as well, and then also set your ZC PayPal module to "Selected Currency". And keep your currency exchange rates up-to-date in your store (ie: once every one or two weeks click the Update button in the currencies screen. Daily updates are not necessary unless you're selling gold or diamonds.).

If you're only receiving "ipn_" logs then the settings in your Express Checkout module aren't working properly, and that suggests to me that either you're looking in the wrong folder or your store has different code in it vs original ZC code.

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks again Dr. Byte for your response. A few follow up questions:

1) any clue as to how I check this - "configure you PayPal Account to have only a USD currency balance" I'm sure I haven't set anything unusual in my PayPal account but I don't understand if this is a default value that has to be changed. I did find a section under "Profile" that was called "Manage Currencies" and the only currency listed is US Dollar.

2) I don't have any other currencies set up in ZC at this time, so from what you say, it seems like I should not need to set up any other PayPal currencies?

3) I was pretty sure that the it was set up correctly as I have been able to do checkouts myself with a US credit card. I have used it both with paying through a PayPal account as well as paying as a PayPal guest and just putting the credit card info in. I was looking in LOGS folder (same one where the ipn_ logs are) would the "
    PayPal_" log files be in some other folder?

4) would the "
    PayPal_" log files log anything before the customer returns to my cart from PayPal? Both European customers who had problems were never able to complete what they were trying to do on PayPal and simply gave up. So, would have a log been generated prior to their being directed to PayPal?
    Ellie Armsby

Plugin Contributions

Ah... I answered my own question #4. Even though the post about debugging logs said "As of Zen Cart v1.5.1 and newer, the folder is now /logs/" the logs I was looking for were in '/includes/modules/payment/paypal/logs '
    I should have looked there before posting. I thought from the post that all the logs related to this would all be in the same folder. So, when I saw the ipn logs I stopped looking
    Ellie Armsby

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

1 & 2 - Correct
    3 & 4 - you answered.

Plugin Contributions

Just thought I'd report back on this in case anyone else is having a similar problem. After 2 emails and a lengthy phone call with PayPal, it appears to be something with their interface. The tech person said something about their interface timing out after the customer(she herself) clicks the country drop down box. Another tech person is supposed to look into it and get back to me within 24 hours. We'll see if that happens!
    Ellie Armsby