Default Are there two methods of setting up a template?

Reading the various How Tos some say you must create separate CUSTOM folders wherever you see a Classic folder and copy the various files you intend to change into those folders. Other tutorials suggest you create just one CUSTOM folder under templates/ and then create all the sub folders under that and copy the files you intend to change into those?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Are there two methods of setting up a template?

Quote Originally Posted by Eldridge View Post
    Reading the various How Tos some say you must create separate CUSTOM folders wherever you see a Classic folder and copy the various files you intend to change into those folders.
    This is correct for all changes/modifications.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldridge View Post
    Other tutorials suggest you create just one CUSTOM folder under templates/ and then create all the sub folders under that and copy the files you intend to change into those?
    This will only be suitable for some templates.

In either case it isn't *essential* that you use CUSTOM folders, but it is *highly recommended* because it makes future updates a lot easier.

Cheers
    RodG

Plugin Contributions

It also makes troubleshooting easier insome cases as well. Sometimes a problem is seen and the question would be, does it work on a "fresh" install/is it template related. Plugins are becoming more and more designed to install into the active template, which if the classic green template is the active template, then will remove the ability to change to a standard (classic green) template.

It is not to say that you can't use/create a template with the look of the classic green, just copy the folder(s) as applicable and modify information in the includes/templates/YOUR_TEMPLATE/template_info.php file to give it a new template_name.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

I would completely agree that the classic template should be left well alone to be used as the first port of call for fallback testing when you have broken your shop.

Plugins are becoming more and more designed to install into the active template
    I think that's over complimentary. I would take issue that most "plugins" (or rather community-sourced modifications) are designed at all, as there is no design guide, it's a coding free-for-all that should have "buyer beware" stamped on most of them.

I would rephrase that for newer users that most mods require some changes in core code that cannot be done in a override/new template file and so will affect whatever template is in use. Unavoidable until ZC2 when mods can truthfully be called plugins.
    Steve
    github.com/torvista: Spanish Language Pack, Google reCaptcha, Structured Data, Multiple Copy-Move-Delete, Image Checker, BackupMySQL Admin/Auto...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by torvista View Post
    I would completely agree that the classic template should be left well alone to be used as the first port of call for fallback testing when you have broken your shop.

I think that's over complimentary. I would take issue that most "plugins" (or rather community-sourced modifications) are designed at all, as there is no design guide, it's a coding free-for-all that should have "buyer beware" stamped on most of them.

I would rephrase that for newer users that most mods require some changes in core code that cannot be done in a override/new template file and so will affect whatever template is in use. Unavoidable until ZC2 when mods can truthfully be called plugins.
    Unfortunately, torvista has pointed out this important discrepancy more than once, and yet I haven't changed how I describe these things to newer zenners. It is absolutely true that installations of coded software is pretty much a free-for-all. There appears to be a move towards attempting some form of consistency (not referring to the continued redesign of ZC's core). There are some that are even trying to develop an installation package standard that would help store owners to know what software is installed and what version it is. Is a great idea, but still depends on the programmers to start off with that software and incorporate the two together.

I agree full-heartidly with torvista's summary that the software installed to modify how ZC functions compared to it's original design can barely be called plugins; however, it is the term that is used to identify the software downloadable from the ZC site. And yes some of this software is more of a push in or cram in than a plugin. Surprisingly though, with all of the different people having different backgrounds, for the most part the different software packages tend to work with each other to a larger extent, when the proper philsophy is/was considered in development.

I know that I have modified some files and unfortunately for the community have been asked to review the use of two or more programs when installed together. The problem(s) with them have been right down the line of torvista's statements. Code that worked for the one's intended purpose if even to disable or modify some of ZCs core setup requirements. In those cases I've restored ZC functionality and found alternative ways to accomplish the expected task with a more integrated approach. Yes, I need to upload these changes, but recently have been trying to focus on my own store for a little bit before packaging the changes to as high of a standard as I can "make up" :)
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

I think the difference is mostly semantic. Wordpress is often put forward as the 'gold standard' for ease of plugin installation, but conflicts between/among mods are common there, too.

Great! Thanks for all your replies. I now have all the old site changes copied over to the new site and neatly tucked away into a template rather than changing the vanilla files as I did the first time. Much better arrangement! :)

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by stevesh View Post
    I think the difference is mostly semantic. Wordpress is often put forward as the 'gold standard' for ease of plugin installation, but conflicts between/among mods are common there, too.
    Wordpress is also a hackers delight. Coincidence?

Cheers
    RodG

Plugin Contributions

Hi Stevesh, I have remove the BlueCart Template and now im using the default template classic from zencart. So far I have come to this level but now I do not know the my account and shopping cart dissappears until logged in. any help would be really appreciated. My website link is: http://thetruelightministry.org/store/