Plugin Contributions

Default CEON Advanced Shipper and VAT

Hi,

I've waded through as many posts as I could in the time I have available, but I found nothing which explained to me why CEON advanced shipper calculates shipping BEFORE VAT is applied to prices.

We .offer free shipping on baskets over £50, and provided the ex-VAT basket comes to more than £50 that's fine. it doesn't charge shipping. However, if the pre-VAT total comes to, say, £48, it charges our shipping rate for up to £50 THEN adds VAT. Obviously this annoys our customers.

Can anyone explain to me how I can set this up so that Advanced Shipper charges shipping on VAT-inclusive prices? It has to do it this way because we have a mix of VATable and VAT exempt goods.

Thanks!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: CEON Advanced Shipper and VAT

Quote Originally Posted by Capfka View Post
    Hi,

I've waded through as many posts as I could in the time I have available, but I found nothing which explained to me why CEON advanced shipper calculates shipping BEFORE VAT is applied to prices.

We .offer free shipping on baskets over £50, and provided the ex-VAT basket comes to more than £50 that's fine. it doesn't charge shipping. However, if the pre-VAT total comes to, say, £48, it charges our shipping rate for up to £50 THEN adds VAT. Obviously this annoys our customers.

Can anyone explain to me how I can set this up so that Advanced Shipper charges shipping on VAT-inclusive prices? It has to do it this way because we have a mix of VATable and VAT exempt goods.

Thanks!
    Not sure I can cleanly/clearly give an answer as to the why/how; however, I have come to understand the following which maay shed some light.

One reason for shipping to be calculated before applying a VAT is so that those not impacted by a VAT (exempt) will only be charged the non-VAT price and that those subject to VAT would be subsequently charged a VAT based on the shipping "base" rate. I thought this could be controlled somewhat in the module by indicating that the listed price includes or excludes the applicable tax. If the price includes the tax, then I would think that when one is exempt the total amount would be reduced by the tax. If not exempt then the price would be as is. Each of these offers it's "problems". In a price includes the tax situation, If the tax changes then the "profit" received is inversely affected. In a price excludes the tax situation, there appears to be some additional calculations/handling to address, but at least the tax would follow the price, and the total would follow tax changes. (Ie, once setup properly, store becomes easier to operate and clearer about what changes are needed to obtain the proper information, etc...)
    In some cases (many that I have seen before, possibly juust because it was "too difficult" to program) discounts are only offered on pre-taxed totals. You are going a step above by discounting after all "fees" have been applied, but if that works in your business model, good.

So I don't know when it was introduced as compared to your version of the advanced shipper, but somewhere in the setup there should be a total up price of applicable/all products including their tax option. Selecting that option should allow applying free shipping for the total toal above your amount. If not able to do that, would suggest contacting jsweb to obtain further support.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...