Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Looking to migrate to ZenCart from OSC

Hi All

I have been running a site for the past year using OSCommerce which, whilst it doing the job, is a real pain in the proverbial to make any custom changes to. The structure seems to be rather erratic and can take hours to locate a specific file when making any layout changes. For this reason I am looking around at an alternative system.

Before I plunge in to ZenCart there are a few things that I need to know it will handle and I'm hoping that maybe you guys can tell me if these things are possible .

1. The site is specifically for the delivery of eBooks via download, so in terms of products I need to be able to go from top level Genre to Author to Series (in OSC I simply rename Categories to Genres, Manufacturer to Author and Series becomes just a sub-category of Author.

2. I need to be able to display a list of x no. of new products on entry to the site.

3. I need to be able to select a Genre to display all Authors in that Genre and Authors to display all books by that author irrespective of what genre the book falls into. Naturally full free-form search is required as well.

4. When a book is displayed ready to add to cart, I need to be able to display somewhere author image and link to their website.

5. I need the facility to provide free books (so if the customer cart contains a free book or the total value of the cart is £0.00 the checkout confirmation should display a download link or the customer should be emailed that link).

6. I need to be able to suspend a customer from making any purchases if required.

7. Finally I would like to be able to add custom pages for various news etc.

I'm sure that these requirements shouldn't be too much of a problem and I'm hoping that someone out there will be able to advise me that it is all possible (oh and of course I need to find a way to migrate my existing 5500 products!!!!!).

Thanks in advance

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Looking to migrate to ZenCart

Quote Originally Posted by DigiBooks View Post
    Hi All

I have been running a site for the past year using OSCommerce which, whilst it doing the job, is a real pain in the proverbial to make any custom changes to. The structure seems to be rather erratic and can take hours to locate a specific file when making any layout changes. For this reason I am looking around at an alternative system.

Before I plunge in to ZenCart there are a few things that I need to know it will handle and I'm hoping that maybe you guys can tell me if these things are possible .

1. The site is specifically for the delivery of eBooks via download, so in terms of products I need to be able to go from top level Genre to Author to Series (in OSC I simply rename Categories to Genres, Manufacturer to Author and Series becomes just a sub-category of Author.

2. I need to be able to display a list of x no. of new products on entry to the site.

3. I need to be able to select a Genre to display all Authors in that Genre and Authors to display all books by that author irrespective of what genre the book falls into. Naturally full free-form search is required as well.

4. When a book is displayed ready to add to cart, I need to be able to display somewhere author image and link to their website.

5. I need the facility to provide free books (so if the customer cart contains a free book or the total value of the cart is £0.00 the checkout confirmation should display a download link or the customer should be emailed that link).

6. I need to be able to suspend a customer from making any purchases if required.

7. Finally I would like to be able to add custom pages for various news etc.

I'm sure that these requirements shouldn't be too much of a problem and I'm hoping that someone out there will be able to advise me that it is all possible (oh and of course I need to find a way to migrate my existing 5500 products!!!!!).

Thanks in advance
    This is all very possible with Zen Cart.
    You can migrate your products to Zen Cart by using the migration script from Osc to ZC. It should be here somwhee on the forum, or else I can send it to you

By the way Welcome :)

Plugin Contributions

Thank you for your reply Design75.

The most critical thing in the list is the free downloads. I will try a ZenCart install on a testbed at the weekend ... and give you a shout if I can't find the necessary :)

Plugin Contributions

You will find a lot of people here willing to help, if you run in to trouble.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks.

Hopefully better support than OSCommerce! :)

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DigiBooks View Post
    Thanks.

Hopefully better support than OSCommerce! :)
    I've sent you a pm with a link.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by picandnix View Post
    I've sent you a pm with a link.

Just curious ;) a link to where?

Plugin Contributions

Thank you pickandnix - will take a look tonight.

Design75 - it's a link to where he is using free products :)

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Design75 View Post
    Just curious ;) a link to where?
    Just a site selling downloads, and offering a free sample etc, similar set up to what the op is looking to do with Zen Cart. Only reason for not posting URL is to avoid any unwanted annoyances
    Would you like a peep? It's nothing exciting just a store. In fact I'd appreciate your thoughts on it if you get a chance please?

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by picandnix View Post
    Just a site selling downloads, and offering a free sample etc, similar set up to what the op is looking to do with Zen Cart. Only reason for not posting URL is to avoid any unwanted annoyances
    Would you like a peep? It's nothing exciting just a store. In fact I'd appreciate your thoughts on it if you get a chance please?
    PM me the link, and I will take a look, and give my 2 cents

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast