Plugin Contributions

Default Network Solutions Hosting

My first attempt at installing ZC on Network Solutions Hosting. I have the ZC store functioning as designed and the database populated on a test site before attempting to make the move to Network Solutions.
    #1 I used mySQLAdmin to export the database contents with drop and add commands embedded in the flat file.
    #2 After creating the database on the NS Host site I imported the data then verified the data.
    #3 The ZC software was Ftp'd to the site and the configure.php files were changed to the new name, PW and path.
    #4 Tested ZC and it failed to access the database.

#5 I uploaded a clean set of files and went through a new installation process on the existing database, knowing the data would be deleted, and the software failed to install/setup. I called their help desk. He said Network Solutions does not have a one-click install in their non-standard cPanel or anywhere else. The help desk said they do not offer ZC and do not know of anyone who is using ZC on their site. <<scratching head>>>.

Q. Are there other modifications needed to create a clean install of ZC on Network Solutions Host?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Network Solutions Hosting

What point in the installation process did the clean installation fail?

I haven't had occasion to check out NS in a while, but the last time I did, their control panel and server configuration were non-standard and their prices were many multiples of those of their competitors. If you haven't given them a lot of money yet, I would suggest you find another host.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by stevesh View Post
    What point in the installation process did the clean installation fail?

I haven't had occasion to check out NS in a while, but the last time I did, their control panel and server configuration were non-standard and their prices were many multiples of those of their competitors. ....
    Yes, it is very non-standard.

http://something.like.my.store.com/ZC_install/index.php
    Step #1: Welcome to Zen Cart <Press Continue>
    Step #2: GNU License <I have read and agree...> <continue>
    Step #3: System Inspection Results (Green board - Go) Click <Install>
    Step #4: Out to lunch....... will not display anything. At time-out there might be a 404 Error depending on browser used (Path = /zc_install/index.php?main_page=inspect)

I used browsers MSIE 11, Firefox 29.0.1, Chrome 34.0.1847.x Bounced the box and tried again.
    Came back another day, shut down system for about two hours, and encountered the same result on reboot using all three browsers.

I have placed a clean configure.php on the server then tried it. Swapped it out for an edited configure.php with what I think is the proper path and tried it. If I remove the /includes/configure.php the path becomes: zc_install/index.php?main_page=database_setup but still draws a blank screen. If I remove ALL files and upload a clean ZC 1.5.1 I get the same result. It never asks for the name of the database etc. as it would on a normal new install. I move all these files back to my home server and the ZC_install works just fine.

I suspect NS hosting is simply blocking the communications/access and thought someone on the forum might know where the magic switch is located. NS Hosting has a forum. I will research that later this evening. You mentioned $. I wonder if mo-money is what reveals the secret switch?
    If I don't find a solution I might ask the owner to move to another host.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Most of the problem will be with SSL. But that's not all.

I've never been able to get it to work on Network Solutions. Their setup is so nonstandard that even the bizarrest-reaching edge cases that are accommodated in the code still don't work with their servers. Despite numerous support calls to their team, and very few replies back from them.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    Most of the problem will be with SSL. But that's not all.

I've never been able to get it to work on Network Solutions. Their setup is so nonstandard that even the bizarrest-reaching edge cases that are accommodated in the code still don't work with their servers. Despite numerous support calls to their team, and very few replies back from them.
    Thanks for your help and thanks for all that the ZC team does for the users.

Plugin Contributions

Shouldn't he be performing the stock install prior to importing his db and then uploading his site files? Then drop and import, then upload...swap configures. If NS is that out of whack then he's adding fuel to the fire by not following the proper procedures.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by plc613 View Post
    Shouldn't he be performing the stock install prior to importing his db and then uploading his site files? Then drop and import, then upload...swap configures. If NS is that out of whack then he's adding fuel to the fire by not following the proper procedures.
    If you read carefully you'll see a 'stock install' was attempted. If by Stock Install you mean New Installation. A new installation uses zc_install.php. That was run as noted in Steps Taken. That is the only time you get 'Welcome to Zen Cart' and 'GNU License - I have read and agree'.

The installation process could not access the database regardless if it contained tables or data in the tables. The new install process first finds the database so, at the point of 'Welcome to Zen Cart', ZC has no idea about tables or tried to touch any data. The table prefix has not been defined. ZC is simply trying to find the database.

However, the database and software does not care if data is already populated. As an experiment, I once installed three different ZC stores onto one populated database, each with different table prefixes. It worked fine. In the same experiment I loaded two stores on two different directories, same server, same database, same table prefix. It worked. Of course in real life this is never advisable - using this software.

I think the problem here is a Network Solutions issue. I have yet to find anyone who operates ZC on a Network Solutions account. As noted, the service tech at Network Solutions was asked if he knew of this ever happening and the Network Solutions employee replied, 'no'.

Plugin Contributions

I did read carefully. I'm referring merely to the order in which the steps were taken. As you mentioned "it's not advisable". One would argue it's hard to state something doesn't work when you're not conforming to the recommended methods.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Forum5 View Post
    I think the problem here is a Network Solutions issue. I have yet to find anyone who operates ZC on a Network Solutions account. As noted, the service tech at Network Solutions was asked if he knew of this ever happening and the Network Solutions employee replied, 'no'.
    Agreed. And there are zillions of better (and more affordable) hosts out there than Network Solutions.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.