Plugin Contributions

Default CKEditor not staying selected in drop down..............Fixed!

So like many I have tried to install the CKEditor plug-in and when I went to select it from the drop down, it would default back to the plain text editor.
    I have now spent 3 hours on this searching the forums and internet for a solution and have found the problem I was having and thought I would post my findings.
    When I downloaded the zip file, I quickly read the directions on installation and put the module into the languages folder because I incorrectly assumed the zip was bad.

When you read further in the install directions and I quote:
    Upload the various files from your PC to your website, placing each file in the same folder where you found it in the zip, ie:
    /admin/includes/ckeditor.php goes to your website into your existing /renamed-admin/includes/ folder.
    /admin/includes/languages/english/extra_definitions/ckeditor.php is added to your /renamed-admin/includes/languages/english/extra_definitions/ folder
    /editors/ckeditor/ (the entire folder) gets copied to your /editors/ folder

You see that you need to put the ckeditor.php file directly into the includes folder of your renamed admin folder and NOT the languages folder ...
    ... exactly as it comes in the zip.
    The other file does go into the extra_definitions folder under languages-english-extra_definitions.
    Hopefully this will help others as it was quite frustrating trying to do this simple task and the directions for installation are conflicting.
    I have downloaded this zip file 3 times , thinking it was corrupted somehow from this site.
    After putting the file in the includes folder and not the languages folder, this now works fine.
    Last edited by AkGuide; 2 Jun 2014 at 02:18 AM.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: CKEditor not staying selected in drop down..............Fixed!

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!!! I spent hours trying to figure it out by searching on this forum, using so many different search terms. Saw the problem a lot, but this was the only answer and I have no idea how I got here.