Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default "Starting at" price not the lowest price

I call myself looking in the v1.5.x upgrade forum and the bugs forum and did not see anything related.

Product Price "Starting at" displayed is the price of the default attribute selection instead of the lowest priced attribute.

Checked using my desired template.
    Checked using Classic Green.

Looked in v1.5. upgrade forum & bugs forum
    Did not wipe the install and test from scratch v1.5.1 install
    Link to Sandbox: srevaewniahc .info (space inserted before the (dot)
    Link to product example: http://srevaewniahc .info/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_16&products_id=256 (space inserted before the (dot)
    v1.5.1 with database upgraded from 1.3.9H
    Upgraded using upgrade procedure.
    plugins:
    confirm email address
    email addr exporter
    orders exporter
    IP blocker
    CKeditor
    email archive manager
    monthly sales & tax summary
    sales report
    encrypted master password
    USPS shipping
    Fedex shipping
    snapshot
    zen colorbox
    PHP 5.3.28
    MySQL 5.5.37

Sandbox install prepping to go live.
    Rick
    RixStix (dot) com
    aka: ChainWeavers (dot) com

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: "Starting at" price not the lowest price

If you make any edit to the product in your Zen Cart Admin and save/update, does it fix it?
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Ajeh View Post
    If you make any edit to the product in your Zen Cart Admin and save/update, does it fix it?
    Add a space to the description, save, update. no change
    Add a space to the product name save, update, no change
    Remove 'arrow' at the end of the product name, save, update, no change

Edit one attribute price, save, update, no change.
    Edit the default attribute selection price, save, update, Starting At price displayed changed to lowest priced attribute.

So, that tells me to visit all the attribute prices and edit the 'default attribute' price. Hopefully, that tells you what caused it, since I know what to do to fix it.

TNX Linda. I can visit each product to fix that unless you have a quicker fix.

I did forget to mention one plugin not listed"

DrByte's MySQL DB charset converter
    Rick
    RixStix (dot) com

Plugin Contributions

Actually, the idea is:

1 there is a master_categories_id set on the Product

2 the products_price_sorter is up to date

3 Starting at Price uses the lowest price in each Attribute Option Name Group based on who is marked to be Include in Base Price in the Attributes Controller
    By Default, this is figured out for you and you should not have to exclude any of the Attributes from this
    Only if you want to alter the automatic calculation of the Starting At Price, would you ever need to change the default setting (YES) for:
    Include in Base Price
    When Priced by Attributes
    Edit the default attribute selection price, save, update, Starting At price displayed changed to lowest priced attribute.
    Setting the Default Attribute should have no affect to the Starting At price ...

If doing that fixed it, try and Edit/Update with no changes, does that also fix it?
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Setting the Default Attribute should have no affect to the Starting At price ...
    If not mistaken the change that was made was not the flag of default or not, but the price associated with the item that was marked default. Does that change the requested action/concept?
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Actually, the idea is:

1 there is a master_categories_id set on the Product

2 the products_price_sorter is up to date

3 Starting at Price uses the lowest price in each Attribute Option Name Group based on who is marked to be Include in Base Price in the Attributes Controller
    By Default, this is figured out for you and you should not have to exclude any of the Attributes from this
    Only if you want to alter the automatic calculation of the Starting At Price, would you ever need to change the default setting (YES) for:

If doing that fixed it, try and Edit/Update with no changes, does that also fix it?
    Sorry, that just went over my head.

Are you saying that it is a setting that I used incorrectly or a setting that is functioning as designed but not as I expected or "Rick had a brainfart when he upgraded the database" or none of the above.

Just visiting the attribute does not appear to change anything. An attribute field must be edited to see a change in the "Starting At" price.

• I found an example where the "Starting At" price is not that of the default selection and not the lowest price.
    • So far, editing a datafield associated with the attribute currently being presented as the "Starting Price" will cause the "Starting at" price to be changed.
    • In the example of the "Starting at" price not being the default selection, the Starting At price was changed to the HIGHEST PRICED attribute of the group.
    Rick
    RixStix (dot) com

Plugin Contributions

One important thing Ajeh taught me long ago. You should always have a default, for display only attribute that forces the user to make a selection. Otherwise, the user might accidentally make a selection they did not want.

Plugin Contributions

Maybe I missed something but everything is functioning as expected in the live v1.3.9H site for these categories.
    Same DB upgraded into the sandbox v1.5.1 site, appears to be functioning randomly different.

In most cases, it is the Default price that is being displayed as the Lowest, Starting At price instead of the actual lowest priced attribute.

I'm pretty sure that the attribute settings are correct, but below is a representative screen print.

Attachment 14212

I just realized that I have other categories, priced by attributes, that are not displaying "Starting at" text in V1.5.1. Only the base price is shown regardless of attribute adders. But those categories do not show the "Starting At" text in v1.3.9H either.
    Rick
    RixStix (dot) com

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by RixStix View Post
    DrByte's MySQL DB charset converter
    You mean that experimental thing that says "use at own risk"?

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    You mean that experimental thing that says "use at own risk"?
    Yes DrByte. You beat me to confessing that the DBcharset converter was found to have inserted invisible characters (possibly randomly different & invisible) that were originally blank in the price_prefix and weight_prefix of the products_attributes table. If I knew those were the only invisible gremlins resulting from the use of the DBconverter, I would probably make the edits and keep the UTF8 version. Since I can't do that, I'll step back and just not use the converter.

After using the charset converter, I had looked through the DB for out of place characters and seeing none had thought all was fine.

Thankfully, Ajeh saved my bacon & figured it out while still in the sandbox. It would have been a bugger to correct if discovered weeks or months after going live.
    I learned something to put in my "do not do or look for invisible gremins" memory.
    I forgot how long it takes to restore the database and website files with a 1Mb connection.

Ajeh also found/fixed an unrelated problem with the 'keep_alive' timer that should not have existed. The website and DB backups were made immediately prior to installing keep_alive. Restoring the backup files did not remove all traces of keep_alive for some reason.
    Last edited by RixStix; 27 Jun 2014 at 02:28 PM.
    Rick
    RixStix (dot) com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast