Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: New EU digital VAT

Quote Originally Posted by lat9 View Post
    Especially easy with Zen Cart v1.5.3, where the "Selectable Countries" plugin has been incorporated. If you're running an earlier version of Zen Cart, just install that plugin and you can selectively disable a country.
    ...except, it would seem blocking EU countries is "discrimination" under other EU legislation

So, there are specific requirements for collecting the 2 non-conflicting pieces of data, and a third if there's a problem...does Zencart already capture sources of this evidence? I am not a techie, I am not a tax or compliance expert, but reading up from those who are it seems a bit of a nightmare, having to reprogramme their systems to collect this data as well as add the VAT (but ZC seems to have the tax covered nicely).

@Design75 what do we do with that code? Where do we put it? Do we repeat the code for every EU state?

Thanks in advance, and apologies for any dumb questions!

Plugin Contributions

I'm looking at a solution (since I'll need one for my website) that doesn't "block" EU customers per se but would require them to contact me for an "alternate delivery method" for any commercial digital downloads. Unfortunately, the licensing for the ip-to-country interface that I've found isn't GPLv2 so it won't be available from the Zen Cart plugins area when it's finished ...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by enlightened View Post
    ...except, it would seem blocking EU countries is "discrimination" under other EU legislation

So, there are specific requirements for collecting the 2 non-conflicting pieces of data, and a third if there's a problem...does Zencart already capture sources of this evidence? I am not a techie, I am not a tax or compliance expert, but reading up from those who are it seems a bit of a nightmare, having to reprogramme their systems to collect this data as well as add the VAT (but ZC seems to have the tax covered nicely).

@Design75 what do we do with that code? Where do we put it? Do we repeat the code for every EU state?

Thanks in advance, and apologies for any dumb questions!
    I think the 2 non-conflicting and in reality it should be 3 pieces of data is a major problem. We have the ip address, so that is one, but the customer entered address from what I can see doesn't qualify. It has to be a bank address, or credit card address which if you only accept credit cards via Paypal may not be provided. Paypal from what I have read has stated that they will not be providing this information. Not to mention the privacy issues with retaining such data. I for one don't WANT someones credit card information or bank details.

This new legislation really is completely unworkable for nano and micro business.

Thanks for the suggestions above in regards to blocking countries. There are some thoughts places I have been reading that the high administrative burden for nano businesses will be sufficient reason to block the EU countries without going against the discriminatory regulations. I must do more of my own research on that. I am running zencart 1.5.1 but will look into the selectable countries plugin mentioned. I probably should upgrade my site but have been putting it off due to modifications and not wanting to have to mess with all the mods again.

Plugin Contributions

I have every faith that this will either become standard in ZC, or there'll be a plugin offered but perhaps not in time for January.

As this becomes more widely known about - especially to non-EU sellers - and with the fact that it will extend to physical goods as early as 2016 then all carts will need to adapt, and I'm glad to be with ZC! However, I'm surprised this isn't getting more coverage in the ZC community as there are lots of digi sellers who use it. Maybe we need a new thread - or rename this one - to grab attention: reading the title of this thread, I would not think this applied to me at all if I didn't know about #VATMOSS

Something like "Do you sell digital goods - read this!" might get more attention and reach the folks who need to be knowing about it. Or "Is anyone working on a solution to #VATMESS"

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Hi,

Just a quick note to say that the Zen Cart team are watching this, although at the moment we don't have a complete strategy to address the problem

I'm attending a webinar next wednesday
    https://blog.recurly.com/prepare-for...ew-vat-feature
    which might throw up some further useful info.

The topic also came up on Radio 4 today, and a representative from HMRC (Her Majesty's Custom's & Excise) added some intersting info.

For sellers in the UK, where the customer is based in the UK, you can use the current VAT Registration limit and apply to your sales (think it's £81,000)
    The UK argued strongly to have an EU wide registration limit to address the concerns of SME's, but this was rejected by other EU countries.

There is unlikely to be any core code in Zen Cart to address this in the short to medium term, although I am looking at what would be needed to build a contribution to address this.

Would like to hear from shops based in other EU countries, apart from UK, to see if they are getting the equivalent of the MOSS

Plugin Contributions

FWIW, I've submitted a plugin named Restrict Digital Downloads (http://www.zen-cart.com/showthread.p...Support-Thread) that I'll be using on my websites that have paid, downloadable products.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Digital Seller? New EU Digital VAT Affects You

So things just seem to get more complex.

The VAT on digital goods also applies to non EU suppliers, so if you are a US company supplying digital goods to EU customers, you too have to pay EU VAT. In fact this has been law since 2003 (VAT on E-Service Scheme (VoES)). Although for that scheme the VAT rate used was based on where (which VAT locale/country) the supplier registered.

It was problems with that scheme (ie suppliers registering in the lowest VAT % locale) that prompted the move to charging VAT on the customer's locale.

It could be argued that the new scheme isn't really VAT at all, since with physical goods the supplier could reclaim VAT on their inputs.
    e.g I buy my stock from someone and pay VAT on that, and then sell the goods on and charge VAT on the sale, I could at least reclaim the original VAT, so my VAT exposure was based on my net profit. (ie: I'd only be required to remit the collected difference, much like local sales tax in the US/Canada.)

With the digital goods VAT, since there is no original supplier (and no original resource to which "value" has been "added"), there's no input-VAT to claim as a credit. It's therefore arguable that it's not really VAT "Value-Added tax" but a simple sales tax.

Still working on how best to address. Given timelines there is unlikely to be core code changes, but we may work with other partners to produce a plugin.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Digital Seller? New EU Digital VAT Affects You

Thank you, thank you, thank you Lat9 and wilt

It's been feeling like nobody is taking this seriously! AND thank you for clarifying it IS also non-EU stores - here in the UK we are trying to alert people but many just do not think it's something for them to worry about.

I'm part of the UK Group and in touch with the 'euvataction' team if you need any contacts/info.

Are we able to show prices with/without VAT already?

Off to look at your contribution Lat9, as a short-term measure perhaps.

Again, thank you!

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Digital Seller? New 2015 EU Digital VAT Affects You

HI.

I'm currently working on a scoping document for code changes necessary to support the EU Digital Seller rules. I'll push a link here once I have made some progress, hopefully by tomorrow.

The idea would be to integrate some stuff that has already been built and add other stuff e.g. reporting.

Just wondering if anyone here has registered on one of the MOSS sites, and what then the MOSS site asks in terms of information for sales.

I also wonder what happens if a supplier already has a vat registration, and then registers for MOSS.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Digital Seller? New 2015 EU Digital VAT Affects You

Hi,

So I have started putting together a document at https://confluence.zen-cart.com/disp...ital+Goods+VAT

I've also created an initial github repository at https://github.com/zcwilt/eu-digital-vat

I doubt very much that we will get anything useful coded before 1st January

I'm wondering if those subscribed to this thread would be interested in doing a join.me conference, sometime between the 27th to the 31st, to look at priorities.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast