Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Digital Seller? New 2015 EU Digital VAT Affects You

Hi.

I've made a precis of the recent conference call we had, discussing EU Digital VAT.

You can see the precis here. http://docs.zen-cart.com/EU_Digital_...all_2014_12_30

The site is a test bed for a new documentation system that we will be using for Zen Cart.

I've also moved over the Confluence documentation for EU Digital VAT as well. The root for this is http://docs.zen-cart.com/EU_Digital_VAT/

The benefit of the new documentation system is that anyone can contribute to the documentation by forking the github repository at https://github.com/zencart/documentation and doing pull requests on that repo.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by wilt View Post
    Hi.

Payment processors, eg paypal, authorize.net etc. will never have anything to do with remitting your vat. Even systems like Taxamo will not remit your vat (although they may make remitting easier)

The only way to have someone else remit your VAT correctly is to use a marketplace system (well almost)
    e.g. If you sell e-books via Amazon, then it's Amazons responsibility to remit the EU Digital VAT on your behalf.

I said 'Well Almost' earlier, because marketplaces like Etsy are trying to wriggle out of compliance, by using their Terms & conditions to push EU Vat compliance back on to their supplier/partners. Which then begs the question of why then use Etsy at all.

Taxamo provide an API that when integrated into a shopping cart allows for the storage/collection of the relevant information for an order, reports that can then be used to submit VAT to the correct authority via MOSS etc.
    Thanks for the info. I found it hard to work out what the taxamo site actually did from their website. (I have fibromyalgia and suffer a lot of brain fog so concentrating is often difficult)

Tell me about Etsy! UGH My primary store is on Etsy as I sell more there. By the EU's definition Etsy is considered a marketplace and therefore liable for the VAT, so I am just carrying on there. HMRC has stated that Etsy will be held liable rather than the sellers.

Plugin Contributions

Hi Wilt, how things are going about this matter? Is there a plugin in development? If so, is there a repo where to look at and eventually contribute?
    Paolo De Dionigi
    Co-maintainer of Zen Cart Italia

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by s_p_ike View Post
    Hi Wilt, how things are going about this matter? Is there a plugin in development? If so, is there a repo where to look at and eventually contribute?
    Yeah...we are coming up to the end of the grace period (June)...any progress?

I've been absorbing EU VAT as and when I get an EU customer, but need to get to grips with this.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by wilt View Post

I've also moved over the Confluence documentation for EU Digital VAT as well. The root for this is http://docs.zen-cart.com/EU_Digital_VAT/
    1. Regarding the Opt Out section/existing contribution: the following article suggests geo-blocking will not be an option going forward

EU Commission VP Andrus Ansip has officially announced that VATMOSS will be extended to all online sales (i.e. even those with more than minimal human intervention or that would currently be considered non-digital) and that he wants to prevent geo-blocking, perhaps as early as 2016.
    http://euvataction.org/2015/05/14/eu...ion-hackathon/

2. Also, as we have said before, this is not going to be just an EU thing, it's going to be global and probably on hard goods too in time
    (https://www.taxamo.com/eu-vat-rules-global-plans/) but at least it looks like there might be a threshold for EU at least?

5. Reducing VAT related burden and obstacles when selling across borders
    What has been proposed in the Strategy concerning VAT?
    The Commission will make legislative proposals in 2016 to reduce the administrative burden on businesses arising from different VAT regimes including:
    - Extending the current single electronic registration and payment mechanism to cross-border online sales of physical goods.
    - Introducing a common EU-wide simplification measure - VAT threshold - to help small start-up e-commerce businesses.
    http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release...15-4920_en.htm

3. So, I don't use the ZC tax features at all (yet) but does all this suggest, for the future, we need something 'as standard' building into ZC, i.e. the evidence required for proof, displaying correct VAT etc. because everyone, everywhere will need to use it? Or rely on third party external stuff?

Right now I'm not sure how to approach this...carry on doing it all manually, try something like Taxamo either personally or integrated by ZC team? What would it cost?

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by enlightened View Post
    1. Regarding the Opt Out section/existing contribution: the following article suggests geo-blocking will not be an option going forward

http://euvataction.org/2015/05/14/eu...ion-hackathon/

2. Also, as we have said before, this is not going to be just an EU thing, it's going to be global and probably on hard goods too in time
    (https://www.taxamo.com/eu-vat-rules-global-plans/) but at least it looks like there might be a threshold for EU at least?

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release...15-4920_en.htm

3. So, I don't use the ZC tax features at all (yet) but does all this suggest, for the future, we need something 'as standard' building into ZC, i.e. the evidence required for proof, displaying correct VAT etc. because everyone, everywhere will need to use it? Or rely on third party external stuff?

Right now I'm not sure how to approach this...carry on doing it all manually, try something like Taxamo either personally or integrated by ZC team? What would it cost?
    Last week the Dutch government declared there will be a threshold, but it will not be enforced before 2016.

Plugin Contributions

"Switzerland is abolishing its existing threshold of CHF100,000 (circa €95,000) as of January 1, 2016."

I know this is non-EU, but it's a bit disappointing for those of us hoping for a threshold. It's taken from Taxamo's blog about 'globalisation' of their service, covering the countries who are or will be introducing their own variations of digital taxes: reiterating what we have been saying about it not being an isolated issue...we need to think about how we deal with these issues long-term, worldwide.

So I initially resisted the extra expense of Taxamo but right now, I think it's the easiest way to go? I just would *love* some tech help on how to integrate it all within ZC (tried and failed).

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by enlightened View Post
    "Switzerland is abolishing its existing threshold of CHF100,000 (circa €95,000) as of January 1, 2016."

I know this is non-EU, but it's a bit disappointing for those of us hoping for a threshold. It's taken from Taxamo's blog about 'globalisation' of their service, covering the countries who are or will be introducing their own variations of digital taxes: reiterating what we have been saying about it not being an isolated issue...we need to think about how we deal with these issues long-term, worldwide.

So I initially resisted the extra expense of Taxamo but right now, I think it's the easiest way to go? I just would *love* some tech help on how to integrate it all within ZC (tried and failed).
    The same is true for The Netherlands, our government also declared there will be a threshold, so small shops swill not be affected by the new law

Plugin Contributions

Reading the threat, I notice than one important point is missed: the requirement to validate the customer country with two different methods and also save guard this evidence for a period of 10 YEARS !!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456