Thread: I broke it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default I broke it!

Hello all,

I had my site up and running. I installed ZC into a fresh folder (had an old installation done by ISP that I wanted to avoid updating.) Since I had a previous install and domain I just did a redirect to my fresh install. Everything was working perfectly.

I decided to get rid of the redirect (as it wasn't the ideal setup) and now I can no longer access the storefront via my browser. I can get to the admin area....

So I went to the ISP and asked them to direct my domain to the new folder containing the fresh ZC install. They told me I needed an index.html file in my Public_html folder on the server and that is what the domain is pointed towards. The problem is....there is no index.html file in that folder....wasn't before either. There isn't an index.php file there either. Yet the site was working.

Does anyone have any idea what file I need in that Public_html folder that will send the browser into my ZC directory and what do I need to add, if anything, to a file that will cause the browser to open the ZC webpage?

Any thoughts as to how my domain has been 'finding' my webpage (ZC)?

What file in the ZC install folder acts as the index.html file?

The ISP told me they don't code so I need a developer to do this.....

Any help is greatly appreciated....I'm lost.

MM

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: I broke it!

Was your site always accessed as http://mydomain.com or did it have a subdirectory associated with it? Ideally you should just put your site in the root of your domain especially now that you have removed the redirect...

Basically could use a little more info than currently provided... Ie. How one "used" to get to your site?
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mc12345678 View Post
    Was your site always accessed as http://mydomain.com or did it have a subdirectory associated with it? Ideally you should just put your site in the root of your domain especially now that you have removed the redirect...

Basically could use a little more info than currently provided... Ie. How one "used" to get to your site?
    Thanks for the reply.

Yes...in the past my ZC was always in a subdirectory. Just prior to seeing your reply I was contemplating moving everything into the root. But I was concerned that some of the files installed when I did the install for 1.5.4 would still point to the subdirectory.

I can certainly move everything to the root......Once I know there are no hidden pointers to my current subdirectory.

FWIW....I just put the redirect back in....which hadn't worked when I tried reinstalling it before..... This time though I observed the case sensitive nature of my sub....and the redirect now works....

That being said....I'm still interested in moving to the root.....Thoughts?

Thanks

MM

Plugin Contributions

Generally speaking, the only hidden references to the "past" location are founnd in includes/configure.php and admin/includes/configure.php for all programs written to support ZC standard functionality. All other references should be made/built from the information contained in those two files to allow such things as directory moves or site changes.

Now that all said, and other support is expected to follow, if moving everything from the subdirectory to the main directory, then will more than likely want a redirect/rewrite/uri modify from the subdirectory to the main site. This is to provide previous customers that have a bookmark an opportunity to land on the the current page and for SEs to get caught up though there are other faster ways to do that...

Plugin Contributions

Generally speaking, the only hidden references to the "past" location are founnd in includes/configure.php and admin/includes/configure.php for all programs written to support ZC standard functionality. All other references should be made/built from the information contained in those two files to allow such things as directory moves or site changes.

Now that all said, and other support is expected to follow, if moving everything from the subdirectory to the main directory, then will more than likely want a redirect/rewrite/uri modify from the subdirectory to the main site. This is to provide previous customers that have a bookmark an opportunity to land on the the current page and for SEs to get caught up though there are other faster ways to do that...
    Sorry...I"m not sure I follow.

Are you saying that I should change my configure.php file once I move it to the root directory and eliminate the reference (direct) to the \subdirectory?

I notice the current configure.php (that is in my subdirectory) has references to that sub directory.....If I take those out of the configure.php file that I move to the root directory and point instead to the root directory is that what we're saying?

Or am I missing the point entirely?

thanks.....for the help....I really appreciate it....

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Music Man View Post
    Sorry...I"m not sure I follow.

Are you saying that I should change my configure.php file once I move it to the root directory and eliminate the reference (direct) to the \subdirectory?

I notice the current configure.php (that is in my subdirectory) has references to that sub directory.....If I take those out of the configure.php file that I move to the root directory and point instead to the root directory is that what we're saying?

Or am I missing the point entirely?

thanks.....for the help....I really appreciate it....
    I am saying that basically to support continued ZC operation, though suggest following the guidance of: https://www.zen-cart.com/content.php...that-directory

The other part to which I was referring is that if your store has been out on the internet and has a following that they know it as where it currently is located. With the move, they will need to still be able to get to it... A process could be put in place to help the customer get from the old links to the new locations. This is of course if there is something that needs such a transfer rather than say a new store, no rankings, etc...

Plugin Contributions

I am saying that basically to support continued ZC operation, though suggest following the guidance of: https://www.zen-cart.com/content.php...that-directory

The other part to which I was referring is that if your store has been out on the internet and has a following that they know it as where it currently is located. With the move, they will need to still be able to get to it... A process could be put in place to help the customer get from the old links to the new locations. This is of course if there is something that needs such a transfer rather than say a new store, no rankings, etc...
    Thanks for the response and the link for the move. As to the your reference to " A process could be put in place to help the customer get from the old links to the new locations." I do not know how to go about that. But, I am not sure it is vital since my customers are seasonal and usually only purchase 1 item in a decade.... So there is little repeat business.

BTW....Can someone tell me what the permissions on the 'configure.php' file in the 'Includes' should be set to?

Thanks again for the help....

MM

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for the response and the link for the move. As to the your reference to " A process could be put in place to help the customer get from the old links to the new locations." I do not know how to go about that. But, I am not sure it is vital since my customers are seasonal and usually only purchase 1 item in a decade.... So there is little repeat business.

BTW....Can someone tell me what the permissions on the 'configure.php' file in the 'Includes' should be set to?

Thanks again for the help....

MM
    To edit the configure.php file(s) would need 644 for most hosts...

Need or would suggest a redirect from the subdirectory to the main directory... I say redirect, but I'm guessing I'm using the wrong terminology as I would usually use an .htacces file with a rewrite rule to remove the sub directory off of the uri and let the visitor know with the applicable 30x code.

Plugin Contributions

To edit the configure.php file(s) would need 644 for most hosts...

Need or would suggest a redirect from the subdirectory to the main directory... I say redirect, but I'm guessing I'm using the wrong terminology as I would usually use an .htacces file with a rewrite rule to remove the sub directory off of the uri and let the visitor know with the applicable 30x code.
    Thanks....I had 644....just wanted to make sure..... I got everything moved over to the root and it's working from there.....I've about exhausted my brain for a day....might look at the .htacces file later.....once i recharge....

Thanks again!

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

How do I set permissions on files/folders?

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast