Plugin Contributions

Default Session issues after fresh 1.5.3 install (same as previous with 1.5.1)

What version of Zen Cart are you using?
    Has your site been upgraded? When? From what version(s)? NO
    If you've upgraded, HOW did you upgrade? (official upgrade procedure or an automated script from your hosting company?) N/A
    What plugins/addons have you installed? When? If your problems are payment-related, what payment module(s) are you using? If it's shipping-related, which shipping module(s) are you using? AUTHORIZE.NET AIM MODULE, FLAT RATE SHIPPING MODULE
    HOW did you install Zen Cart? (upload via FTP and run zc_install, or a one-click install from your hosting company? (one-click installs might mean you don't have enough information about your site/server to make customizations easily)) UPLOADED VIA FTP & RAN ZC_INSTALL
    What version of PHP and MySQL is your server using? (See Admin->Tools->Server Info) PHP 5.4.11 & MYSQL 5.1.56-log
    WHEN did the problem "start"? How does that compare with other events of your hosting company, changes you've made to your site files/addons, or your admin settings, etc? STARTED WITH THIS INSTALLATION ALMOST IMMEDIATELY AFTER THE INSTALL
    Please post the contents of related "debug logs" generated by Zen Cart (wrap the content in code tags please!). NO LOGS HAVE BEEN CREATED BY THIS ERROR
    If this is your first store, have you tested all aspects of transactions before going live? I'M TESTING RIGHT NOW
    In what ways is your site customized or different from a brand new uncustomized install? IT'S A BRAND NEW UNCUSTOMIZED INSTALL
    Please post your site URL* so we can take a look at it. This is especially important if you're encountering display/layout problems, so the problem can be seen directly. OVSTITCH.COM/CATALOG
    If you're encountering problems that could be related to your server or hosting company, include the name of your hosting company (not their URL). DREAMHOST
    HAVE YOU LOOKED IN THE FAQ AREA for answers to your question? (ie: a search for your error message or what you want to edit/change, etc) YES I'VE LOOKED
    Have you searched the FORUM for your error message or for answers to the question you're asking? YES I'VE LOOKED

My issues with 1.5.1 have been detailed here: http://www.zen-cart.com/showthread.p...ckout-process/. I figured I would cut my losses with that installation, do a fresh install of 1.5.3 and all my problems would be solved. Oh if that were true. :)

I installed 1.5.3 with no issues and then did the following:
    1. Changed flat rate shipping from $5 to $4
    2. Set up my one tax zone/rate
    3. Set up Authorize.net AIM module
    4. Set up one test product

I then did the following:
    1. Set up test customer #1 and placed a test order using Authorize.net as payment method - all was well
    2. Set up test customer #2 and placed a test order using Authorize.net as payment method - all was well
    3. Set up test customer #3 and placed a test order using Authorize.net as payment method - all was well

As I clicked the submit button to set up test customer #4, I got the same session timeout error as detailed in the thread above - "Whoops! Your session has expired. If you were placing an order, please login and your shopping cart will be restored. You may then go back to the checkout and complete your final purchases. If you had completed an order and wish to review it."

I'm on a Mac (using Chrome, Safari & Firefox browsers) and I have customers with practically every other variation of operating system and browser that get the same error randomly as well. The error has come up randomly for the last few months, since Dreamhost upgraded me to PHP 5.4 from 5.2. I've compared PHP session settings with another user and the only difference was in session.hash_bits_per_character - she had 5 and I had 6 for that setting.

I couldn't find any other FAQ pages that listed a fix for this problem, so if anyone has any suggestions, I would love to hear them! :)
    Last edited by laurelsstitchery; 14 Jul 2014 at 01:03 AM. Reason: code error

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Session issues after fresh 1.5.3 install (same as previous with 1.5.1)

Have you considered another host?

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Session issues after fresh 1.5.3 install (same as previous with 1.5.1)

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    Have you considered another host?
    Yes, I have, but I was trying to avoid the nightmare of moving this gigantic catalog to another host. :)

Plugin Contributions

And other than this error, they've been good. I dread the thought of starting over with another company. I looked at the ZC compatible hosting page, but I haven't heard very good things about any of the US based companies on that page.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by laurelsstitchery View Post
    I looked at the ZC compatible hosting page, but I haven't heard very good things about any of the US based companies on that page.
    Likewise I've rarely seen good things about DH.
    And other than this error, they've been good.
    ... except that the most common problem reported by Dreamhost users running Zen Cart is session problems.

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    Likewise I've rarely seen good things about DH.
    ... except that the most common problem reported by Dreamhost users running Zen Cart is session problems.
    Well, crud. Have you heard anything good or bad with regard to specific issues with bluehost or host monster? I guess I may need to move.

Plugin Contributions

Just wanted to post back with another quick thanks to DrByte for giving me a shove out of the nest so I could find a new host. Just finished testing my new installation on my new host and it's working perfectly so far. :)
    Last edited by laurelsstitchery; 16 Jul 2014 at 06:15 PM. Reason: I can't spell

Plugin Contributions

Just wanted to post back with another quick thanks to DrByte for giving me a shove out of the nest so I could find a new host. Just finished testing my new installation on my new host and it's working perfectly so far. :)
    Congratulations! Who did you choose for your new host?

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by lat9 View Post
    Congratulations! Who did you choose for your new host?
    I picked webhostinghub.com and after I completed the order, I found out they're actually local to me here in the Tidewater area of Virginia! :)

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Thanks for confirming that the host was the problem.
    Glad it's working for you now :)

Best of success with your store!