Plugin Contributions

Default Is it possible to send Tax and shipping product information to PayPal Express

I am a long time user of Zen Cart and over the past year I have building my site up and getting some good sales.

The stores customer feedback has shown that my customers only like using PayPal Express as they can checkout quickly without having to register, but they are concerned when they get to the Paypal Express payment screen when the VAT and shipping is not shown.

My feedback through analytics shows dropouts when they get to the PayPay express page.

Customer research has shown they expect it to be the final page for payment. When the VAT and shipping info is not shown they are not completing their order.

The store is only used for UK sales and I was wondering if there was a way to get PayPal Express to show this information on the payment page.

This is my only stumbling block with Zen Cart. I installed a fresh version of ZC V153 to see if this has been changed, but found that it has not and tried to find a plugin, but I could not find one.

I was wondering if there was any way with plugins or coding you can do this?

I have tested other free eCommerce stores and found only one with the same functionality of Zen Cart that does this.

My store address is http://hosdirect.co.uk/

I like to continue using Zen Cart and would like to continue using it, but need this functionality.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Is it possible to send Tax and shipping product information to PayPal Express

The problem is that Paypal has no way of knowing where the customer is before she logs in to your site or Paypal's, so unless the shipping cost is the same to all your potential customers, there's no way I know to 'fix' this. It isn't really a Zencart issue. You could add text to the proper page(s) explaining that the customer will see VAT and shipping charges when he returns from Paypal.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Is it possible to send Tax and shipping product information to PayPal Express

Shipping cost is the same to all my potential customers (but it does have a table rate for products which is based on weight)

I only sell to the UK. The only country set up is United Kingdom in my settings (Country United Kingdom GB GBR) with the Uk Zones

Zen Cart knows the UK shipping cost including VAT before it communicates with PayPal Express when the Paypal Express button is pressed. Is it possible to send that information to Paypal Express?

The other free eCommerce store I tested with Paypal Express shows the price with VAT and the shipping when you press the Paypal Express button. I only have that set to United Kingdom with a table rate. Would you like a link to the test site?

I was tempted to put the prices in without VAT into the store to show the whole price in PayPal express, but then the invoice that is sent would be wrong and It would still not show shipping.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by AJMedia View Post

The other free eCommerce store I tested with Paypal Express shows the price with VAT and the shipping when you press the Paypal Express button. I only have that set to United Kingdom with a table rate. Would you like a link to the test site?
    The name of the other store software would be better. So, no matter where I am in the UK, I pay the same shipping cost for the same weight package ?

Plugin Contributions

There is a plugin (or two) that addresses VAT. Because you are working in the UK for the UK, if I understood requirements correctly, a VAT is always charged. Essentially it's a tax line item/additional charge. I can not recall when using that module what information is presented in PayPal when using PayPal express, but I do know that there was some modifications necessary when that module and another that displayed prices with and without tax. The applicable forum contained the "work around" to allow the plugin(s) to work with PayPal, although I had made a different modification that didn't require modifying the files described in the forum.

Include and exclude tax in prices: http://www.zen-cart.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=597
    Vat: http://www.zen-cart.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=15

Though the version of the VAT program I had was different than what was at that location and ws compatible (or made so) with ZC 1.5
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

The fastest simplest solution at this point is to simply go to your store Admin, into your PayPal Express Checkout module settings, and set the EC Shortcut Button to OFF. That way your store will know the shipping and tax details before customers choose PayPal, because it will ask them to log in first so it can collect their address details and therefore be able to calculate tax and shipping.

If they don't log in then it doesn't know their shipping/tax information, so it can't calculate that information to pass it on to PayPal. But once they log in, it's got all that info and can indeed pass it on to PayPal just like you want.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.