Plugin Contributions

Default How to install second site on MAMP local server?

I would like to set up a second zen cart site on my MAMP local server so I can upgrade and test my store but maintain the current version of the local server store in case problems occur with the live store. I installed the local server several years ago using Dr. Byte's instructions at the "MAMP/XAMPP set up local host" thread, including setting up www.example.com for the store URL. What are the steps to set up a second zen cart installation under MAMP? Do I need MAMP Pro? Can I use the same database, or must I use a new database? I may want to use a new database but haven't decided yet. How would the instructions change if I wanted to use the same database instead of a new database?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: How to install second zen cart site on MAMP local server

Quote Originally Posted by Dave224 View Post
    I would like to set up a second zen cart site on my MAMP local server so I can upgrade and test my store but maintain the current version of the local server store in case problems occur with the live store. I installed the local server several years ago using Dr. Byte's instructions at the "MAMP/XAMPP set up local host" thread, including setting up www.example.com for the store URL. What are the steps to set up a second zen cart installation under MAMP? Do I need MAMP Pro? Can I use the same database, or must I use a new database? I may want to use a new database but haven't decided yet. How would the instructions change if I wanted to use the same database instead of a new database?
    One way to do this (and there are many to choose from) is to create your second database in a subdirectory of your existing "url" so it would be reached at www.example.com/secondzc. The problem(s) associated with that would be dependent on your .htaccess rewrites which would need to be reviewed to prevent some sort of conflict.

In regards to establishing this second store for the purpose of upgrading, it would be easier in the long run if you established a second database with the same prefix of your first, as that way you could transfer databases back and forth with ease. If you do decide to use the same database, you could have two stores off of one database with two different table prefixes. (Ie, one with no prefix '', and the other with anything other than nothing ie. 'zc2_')

There is other information in the FAQ reguarding the upgrade process that I don't think needs to be repeated here, although I realize a link would help.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: How to install second zen cart site on MAMP local server

In regards to establishing this second store for the purpose of upgrading, it would be easier in the long run if you established a second database with the same prefix of your first, as that way you could transfer databases back and forth with ease. If you do decide to use the same database, you could have two stores off of one database with two different table prefixes. (Ie, one with no prefix '', and the other with anything other than nothing ie. 'zc2_')