Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Easy Google Analytics - Support

I have zc 1.5.4 and I installed easy google analytics. I am getting a "ga not found" error on my console. it seems that
    it is possible that the ga function has not been loaded by the time it is called OR the correct call is now some
    variation on gaTracker. Not sure how to figure out what the problem is.

Plugin Contributions

What is your site? What settings did you use in GA set up in the admin?

Plugin Contributions

I recently upgraded this plugin to replace the old version from last year. Enhanced Ecommerce isn't working for me. I'm viewing the Shopping Behavior Analysis report and all the numbers are zero except Sessions. Product views, add to cart, checkout, and transactions are zero. Regular Universal Analytics data is still being collected as before the upgrade, including ecommerce transaction data on other reports.

I checked that all the catalog files are in place, and I did all the core files merges.

When I view the page source from a browser, here are the snippets in the source, with account number and widget names sanitized.

This is in my product page HEAD.

Code:
                <script type="text/javascript"><!--//
                (function(i,s,o,g,r,a,m) {i['GoogleAnalyticsObject']=r;i[r]=i[r]||function() {
                (i[r].q=i[r].q||[]).push(arguments)},i[r].l=1*new Date();a=s.createElement(o),
                m=s.getElementsByTagName(o)[0];a.async=1;a.src=g;m.parentNode.insertBefore(a,m)
                })(window,document,'script','//www.google-analytics.com/analytics.js','ga');
                            ga('create', 'UA-xxxxxx-2', 'auto');
                    			ga('require', 'displayfeatures');
    						ga('send', 'pageview');
        //--></script>

This is my add to cart button.

Code:
    <!--bof Add to Cart Box -->
                      <div id="cartAdd">
        Quantity: <input type="text" name="cart_quantity" value="1" maxlength="6" size="4" /><br /><br /><input type="hidden" name="products_id" value="3569" /><input type="image" src="includes/templates/mistik/buttons/english/btn_add_cart_green.gif" alt="Add to Cart" title=" Add to Cart " onClick="_gaq.push(['_trackEvent', 'Cart', 'Add to Cart', 'Product Page']);" />          </div>
      <!--eof Add to Cart Box-->

This is before /BODY.

Code:
    <!-- ===== Google Enhanced Ecommerce - Product Information ===== -->

<script><!--

var arrInputTags = document.getElementsByTagName('input');

var i = 0;
      var sFound = "false";
      var intLength = arrInputTags.length;
      while ((sFound == "false") && (i < intLength)) {
          if (arrInputTags[i].getAttribute("title") == " Add to Cart ") {
              sFound = "true";
          }
          if (sFound == "false") { i++ }
      }
      function geeAddToCart() {

var myQuantity  = document.getElementsByName('cart_quantity')[1].value.valueOf();

ga('ec:addProduct', {
              'id'      : '2444',
              'name'    : 'Widget name',
              'price'   : '49.4000',
              'quantity':   myQuantity.valueOf()  
            });
          ga('ec:setAction', 'add');
          ga('send', 'event', 'UX', 'click', 'add to cart');     // Send data using an event.
      }

if (sFound == "true") {
          arrInputTags[i].addEventListener("click", geeAddToCart);
      }

--></script>

<script><!--
        ga('ec:addProduct', {
            'id': '2444', 
            'name': 'Widget name', 
            'price': '49.4000', 
        });

ga('ec:setAction', 'detail');

--></script>
    What am I missing? Is there something else I need to set up within GA for it to recognize the add to cart actions etc?
    Last edited by fakeDecoy; 23 Nov 2015 at 02:20 AM.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by fakeDecoy View Post
    Is there something else I need to set up within GA for it to recognize the add to cart actions etc?
    Question: How are we expected to know what you *haven't* done?

I could suggest that you haven't yet enabled the Enhanced Ecommerce reporting, but you'd probably think I'm an idiot for even making such an obvious suggestion, so I'm not going to. :-)

Cheers
    RodG

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by RodG View Post
    Question: How are we expected to know what you *haven't* done?

I could suggest that you haven't yet enabled the Enhanced Ecommerce reporting, but you'd probably think I'm an idiot for even making such an obvious suggestion, so I'm not going to. :-)

Cheers
    RodG
    In GA -> View -> Ecommerce Settings, I have "Enhanced Ecommerce Reporting" enabled. Do I need to enter the checkout labeling steps? I'm not sure what to enter there.

I don't see any setting in the Easy GA settings in zc admin.

Are there additional steps? The plugin docs didn't seem to suggest anything.

Plugin Contributions

Also, this page mentions the below line is needed in the HEAD, but I don't see it used in the plugin. Nowhere in the file contents. I might just try adding it and see what happens.
    https://developers.google.com/analyt...nced-ecommerce

Code:
    ga('require', 'ec');

Plugin Contributions

In GA -> View -> Ecommerce Settings, I have "Enhanced Ecommerce Reporting" enabled.
    As I previous stated, I/we have/had no way of knowing that.

What else don't we know? Well, we don't know that either :-)

Do I need to enter the checkout labeling steps?.
    Hmmm... does the word 'optional' mean anything to you. I'd swear that these are clearly indicated as being as such. (Sorry, I really not trying to be a jerk but I seem to have been dealing with an awful lot of stupidity today. Apparently I'm losing my patience).

I'm not sure what to enter there.
    Nothing. It is optional <g>

There probably will come a time where you might want to enter data into these fields, but before you can do that you 1st need to identify which 'steps' are being sent to GA by the module that you are using - This can/will even change depending on whether you are using ZenCarts native checkout, or whether you are using something like the FEC module.

The easiest way to identify this info is after you've had the reporting working for a week or two (long enough for GA to accumulate enough data to record the possible steps for your store. You''ll find what you need by navigation to the 'checkout behaviour analysis' section. You should see entries for 'Step 1', Step 2', 'step 3' etc - These are pretty uninformative by themselves, but you should be able to determine that (for example) ' Step#1' is when the login page is loaded, 'Step#2' could be when the checkout page is loaded, Step#3 could be the payment page, and finally, step#5 the order confirmation page.

When identified you can then go back into the 'checkout labeling steps' and enter this more informative information.

I don't see any setting in the Easy GA settings in zc admin.

Are there additional steps? The plugin docs didn't seem to suggest anything.
    Disclaimer: I've never installed or used the EasyGA module so I can't comment on its settings or what it doesn't report to the GA servers.

I created my own GA module that does the ec_tracking and the only setting IT has (or needs) is the Google userID. It is quite possible that Easy GA may have settings to enable.disable the ec_ tracking (and/or parts thereof) and that could possible be the problem, but as with my opening comments, we don't know what your settings are - assuming there are some that may be relevant.

From Googles' side of things, what I can tell you is that enabling the "Enhanced Ecommerce Reporting" option is the only thing that needs to be done to make things work.

If you have only done this very recently, please be aware that it can take a couple of days before you'll see any results. Perhaps all you need is to be a little patient? (says the impatient one)

Cheers
    RodG

Plugin Contributions

Well, the help page I referenced shows several things that are needed, and this plugin doesn't have any of them. What it has isn't even right. The notes on the plugin says that enhanced ecommerce reporting was enabled earlier this year, and the plugin was just updated 2 months ago. So I don't know, maybe the author meant to add it but never really did.

Plugin Contributions

Also, this page mentions the below line is needed in the HEAD, but I don't see it used in the plugin. Nowhere in the file contents. I might just try adding it and see what happens.
    https://developers.google.com/analyt...nced-ecommerce

Code:
    ga('require', 'ec');
    Yes. It needs the 'ec' extension else it won't work.

That did actually cross my mind, but I saw in your code example
    Code:
    ga('ec:setAction', 'detail');
    ....which implied that the
    Code:
    ga('require', 'ec');
    ...would probably have been already coded into the module.

FWIW, one of the reasons I created my own module for this is because I'd noticed that the existing tracking modules all needed some sort of code modifications for them to function, and at the time I was teaching myself a little more about the ZenCart notification system, and I came to realise that I could create a tracking module using this technique without having to modify existing code.

It was developed as a 'proof of concept', but was found to be quite a good/useful idea, so I tidied it up a little and uploaded it to the ZenCart addons. https://www.zen-cart.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=1997

I'm NOT going to suggest you replace Easy GA with ec_analytics though. Firstly because I think Easy GA tracks a few more things (by default) than the ec_analytics, and secondly, although both modules will function together quite nicely, there is the possibility that some things will end up being recorded twice, which isn't good for analytical purposes (having said that, Google itself seems to do an excellent job of avoiding such duplication).

The *only* reason I'm mentioning ec_analytics is if, for any reason you can't get Easy GA to record what you need, then ec_analytics may be an easy solution (easy in that no code changes needed - just upload the files (nothing gets overwritten), provide the google userID, and it just works. No mess, no fuss, no configuration needed.
    Removal is just as easy as the install.

Final note: My previous comment about taking a couple of days to see the results (after enabling the reporting) may still apply with your addition of the ga/require. IOW, as you've only just added that, if you aren't seeing immediate results, you'll still need to wait for enough data to be accumulated for any reports to show.

Cheers
    RodG

Plugin Contributions

Well, the help page I referenced shows several things that are needed
    STOP: Please note that the page you referenced is a help page *for developers*.

There shouldn't be anything there that you (as an end user) would need to know to make the module functional. If there was, then that same information would surely have been replicated in the 'readme' or instruction notes for the module itself.

shows several things that are needed, and this plugin doesn't have any of them.
    I can't comment about not having *any* of them (if true, it simply won't be able to track any sales. Period), but it wouldn't surprise me if it doesn't have *all* of what the page discusses. Even the ec_analytics only supports a subset of what is possible (Perhaps the most notable feature lacking is the tracking of refunds - which I intentionally avoided because I'm a little concerned that without special handling, submitting this data would reveal the the URL of the admin section of the store. The risk may be small, but if anyone wonders why I didn't add this, that is the reason).

What it has isn't even right. The notes on the plugin says that enhanced ecommerce reporting was enabled earlier this year, and the plugin was just updated 2 months ago. So I don't know, maybe the author meant to add it but never really did.
    You will need to wait until another Zenner (that does use the easyGA) to comment further on this. It really is something I know absolutely nothing about.

Cheers
    RodG

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast