Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default SSL / Not working, having to logn back in admin, every page refresh

I don't know what is going on...

I can't find this problem with any other posts, so I will explain my problems here:

I have set up Zen Cart with a one click install from my web host (Powweb). Everything went fine, I downloaded Abbington Mega as the theme, nothing else at this point. Version 1.5.1 - the website operated normally (meaning I could add a product, edit, upload photos etc).

I could not get the https to work, contacted my host, and figured out I had to pay for the certificate so I did. Then I could not get the website to come up as https until they told me I needed a 301 redirect for it to come up automatically. done that...

Now, when I log in and I go to admin, I log in, every time I go to a different page I have to log back in again. Plus the Authorize.net option to enable the AIM comes up "For security reasons, Installation of this module is disabled until your Admin is configured for SSL." even though I am in the https mode.

I am lost at trying to figure this one out. Anyone that has experienced this or has any help for me would be greatly appreciated.

-Steve

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: SSL / Not working, having to logn back in admin, every page refresh

How do I enable SSL after installing Zen Cart? Pay particular note to the section 3 "admin" note about running the entire admin in SSL.

The admin configure.php file contains instructions which point out there are THREE things required to enable SSL in the entire admin:
    1. HTTP_SERVER needs an https:// URL (ya, I know that may sound odd, but is key ...)
    2. HTTPS_SERVER needs an https:// URL
    3. ENABLE_SSL_ADMIN set to 'true'
    And remember, the configure.php file is read-only, so your changes won't save until you make the file writable first.
    The glass is not half full. The glass is not half empty. The glass is simply too big!
    Where are the Zen Cart Debug Logs? Where are the HTTP 500 / Server Error Logs?
    Zen Cart related projects maintained by lhûngîl : Plugin / Module Tracker

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by lhungil View Post
    How do I enable SSL after installing Zen Cart? Pay particular note to the section 3 "admin" note about running the entire admin in SSL.
    Sorry, I forgot to mention that I did do that, I set the file attribute to 666, made the changes and ftp'd the configure.php file back up to the server.

Plugin Contributions

I am currently on the phone with the web host, but as I was looking at the admin I see in the CONFIGURATION - SESSIONS portion of the website, there is an option for:

"Check SSL Session ID"
    Validate the SSL_SESSION_ID on every secure HTTPS page request. (True / False)

Does this have anything to do with having to log in after every page?

Plugin Contributions

Ok,

I am glad I talked with my host. It turns out that the 301 redirect was not written 100% correct. That was part of the problem, the other being that the browser was feeding some problems as well. Now the having to log in after every page view problem is solved.

I still have a problem with the SSL enabled, but the AIM stating that it isn't.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Fearless Freap View Post
    I am currently on the phone with the web host, but as I was looking at the admin I see in the CONFIGURATION - SESSIONS portion of the website, there is an option for:

"Check SSL Session ID"
    Validate the SSL_SESSION_ID on every secure HTTPS page request. (True / False)

Does this have anything to do with having to log in after every page?
    Yes, it is quite possible that it does. Try changing it to see if it makes a difference. If it doesn't then reset it back to its default setting.

Another one worth looking at is the "recreate session" setting. Generally set to 'true', but I've come across a couple of sites that simply won't work correctly unless set to false. (Alas, I've no explanation why this is so, and I've not delved far enough into the zencart code to determine exactly what this setting does).

The important thing to realise here is that these are all 'user settings' that have been implemented simply because the default settings aren't suitable for all servers (if they were then there would be no need for the configuration options), so don't be afraid to have a 'tweak' to see if you can resolve your issues. Just remember, only change *one* thing at a time, and if it doesn't have the desired effect you should immediately change it back before trying another.

Also, VERY IMPORTANT, after making any changes to these settings you MUST log off and clear your browser cache before attempting to log in again. Failure to do this can lead to all sorts of confusion ... Typically, "I was able to log in ok yesterday but today nothing seems to work".

Cheers
    RodG

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by RodG View Post
    Yes, it is quite possible that it does.
    Maybe, but highly unlikely.

It's VERY rare to ever need to change ANY of the settings in the Configuration->Sessions area. Defaults are best.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Fearless Freap View Post
    "For security reasons, Installation of this module is disabled until your Admin is configured for SSL."
    When you see that message, and you look at the URL in your browser's address bar, does it start with "https://" ? If not, then you did NOT change your admin configure.php to define HTTP_SERVER to have an https URL in it.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    Maybe, but highly unlikely.

It's VERY rare to ever need to change ANY of the settings in the Configuration->Sessions area. Defaults are best.
    Agreed. I sure wish I could figure out what the deal is with the sites I have that simply won't work unless the 'recreate session' is set to false though. There's only 2 of them that seem to need this, and it really has be baffled. Do you have any ideas?

Cheers
    RodG

Plugin Contributions

First off, let me say "Thank you" for the responses. I appreciate the help and direction...

I do see the https:// in the address of the website... I can pull up the certificate as well...

I also have Curl installed (checked with the host provider and it's taken care of.

Now something else I just noticed, is that in the Admin / Configuration / Sessions / Recreate Sessions, (True / False) set to true, when I set it to false, it comes back blank. I have to go into mysql and manually add False for it to show up like it should.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast