Plugin Contributions

Default Question about upgrading with Cherry Zen template

Hi All - I am using Zen Cart v 1.3.9h along with Cherry Zen template v 1.7 and I have made some small custom changes to some files.

What can I expect as the worse scenario if I upgrade both Zen Cart and Cherry Zen template?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Question about upgrading with Cherry Zen template

Quote Originally Posted by nyrainman View Post
    Hi All - I am using Zen Cart v 1.3.9h along with Cherry Zen template v 1.7 and I have made some small custom changes to some files.

What can I expect as the worse scenario if I upgrade both Zen Cart and Cherry Zen template?
    If done incorrectly a briefly non-functional site until you restore the backups of the files and the database that you will make before you upload the files that you have taken the time to be sure were correct before this upload. Okay head spinning yet?

The next thing is that one or more of the small modifications may not be transposed, and will appear as the template was originally designed.

Your saving grace will be to backup all things associated with your store. One way to help with that is to install Dr. Bytes SQL Database backup plugin, from there you can backup the database into a server file, then when you download your site files it will be included in there. Then you make a new directory. (And there are instructions that are relatively specific to do this in the FAQ and in the documentation of the latest download of the ZC store software.) Or if not a new directory on your existing server, then build something locally on your destop/laptop computer where you can do all the work on the site that you want to do and it won't have an effect on your live store. Download a copy of your site's files and compare it with a known set of files to identify what specific changes were made (this includes comparing your template to the default download of your template). Make similar changes to the "new" store, then continue to follow the instructions for upgrading/rebuilding or whatever method of site creation you have chosen.

Basically, if safety precautions taken, worst case you spend some time/money on making the update happen because you will at least take action to be able to restore what you have, and hopefully you won't try to do an implace upgrade that will have your site down for maintenance for more than the time necessary to upload and briefly test the installation.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Question about upgrading with Cherry Zen template

If you haven't looked at http://www.zen-cart.com/entry.php?3-...d-of-upgrading, look there and decide the best steps for your situation.

Personally, I would create a folder (test) and load the latest version there with demo items. Next, add the template and test like crazy. Just because something doesn't show on the screen doesn't mean that all's well. Each time you try an area of the template, check your log folder for any error files.

If none show up with a thorough testing, let the forum know and continue on with the upgrade. Same check after each mod.