Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default product description failure

Hi all,

Don't know if this is the right place to post my question, but it is my first post on this forum.
    Please excuus my writting mistakes, but English is not my daily language.

I am from The Netherlands and we had a Dutch language forum that has closed.

Today I wanted to add some new products to my web shop.
    Last time I did this was december 2013, but because of normal work and other obligations I had no time to do it sooner.

My normal way of doing this is:
    -shooting pictures
    -make a desciption in WORD
    -set HTML area
    -go to the catagory the product belongs and "add a new product"

For text I then simply copy the text from the word document and paste it in the description area from the product.

This is how I always did it with out any problems, untill today.

If I do it like before, everything is OK and when I see the preview it shows everything perfect.
    When I continue and insert/update the product, the product is added to the catagory.

If I check my website ( like a cutomer would see it), I see:
    -product title
    -price
    -pictures

How ever, the product description is GONE!!!!
    If I go back to the administrator mode and go to that product there is noting in the desciption box.

Can some one tell me what I am doing wrong?

Please, I don't know much about codes, so when you explain it, try to explain it simple (like I am a kid that is 7 years old)

Henri

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: product description failure

Quote Originally Posted by HVM71 View Post
    Hi all,

Don't know if this is the right place to post my question, but it is my first post on this forum.
    Please excuus my writting mistakes, but English is not my daily language.

I am from The Netherlands and we had a Dutch language forum that has closed.

Today I wanted to add some new products to my web shop.
    Last time I did this was december 2013, but because of normal work and other obligations I had no time to do it sooner.

My normal way of doing this is:
    -shooting pictures
    -make a desciption in WORD
    -set HTML area
    -go to the catagory the product belongs and "add a new product"

For text I then simply copy the text from the word document and paste it in the description area from the product.

This is how I always did it with out any problems, untill today.

If I do it like before, everything is OK and when I see the preview it shows everything perfect.
    When I continue and insert/update the product, the product is added to the catagory.

If I check my website ( like a cutomer would see it), I see:
    -product title
    -price
    -pictures

How ever, the product description is GONE!!!!
    If I go back to the administrator mode and go to that product there is noting in the desciption box.

Can some one tell me what I am doing wrong?

Please, I don't know much about codes, so when you explain it, try to explain it simple (like I am a kid that is 7 years old)

Henri
    Dag,
    This location is fine to post your question.

I have seen this issue before in the forum, but unfortunately I can not remember what the solution was. It was either to change the default database language, the version of PHP, or something like upgrade.

It may help to know a little more about your setup. What PHP version is running? Also, please review the posting tips just about the box in which you write a post to see if there are questions there that you can answer.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Hi MC12345678,

Thank you for your reply!

I have been trying the last few hours to figure out what is going on, but no luck so far.

I have totally missed to mention the specifications.
    Now I see the box and will try to give the specifications, but from some I don't know what is ment or were to find it.
    So here we go:
    -zencart version: V1.3.9.h
    -as far as I know my site has not been upgraded ( at least not by me)
    -don't know were I can find my plugins or that I have even have some.
    -zencart was installed back in 2011 and had no problem at all before. If I remember correct my hostingservice installed it for me.
    -PHP version = 5.4.25-1~dotdeb.1 (Zend: 2.4.0) MySQL = MySQL 5.5.38-0+wheezy1-log (at least that is what I recognize as MySQL)
    -the problems started 14 august 2014 when I tried to add new products to my site
    Before the last additions were done in december 2013 and I only removed product in between these 2 periods.

my website url is http://ww2collector.nl/zencart/
    and a specific product that has the problem is http://ww2collector.nl/zencart/index...roducts_id=866

Hope this gives you guys more information on what is going on and what might be a solution to fix the problem.

Henri

Plugin Contributions

Hi MC12345678,

I have been trying the last few hours to figure out what is going on, but no luck so far.

Now I see the box and will try to give the specifications, but from some I don't know what is ment or were to find it.
    So here we go:
    -zencart was installed back in 2011 and had no problem at all before. If I remember correct my hostingservice installed it for me.
    -PHP version = 5.4.25-1~dotdeb.1 (Zend: 2.4.0) MySQL = MySQL 5.5.38-0+wheezy1-log (at least that is what I recognize as MySQL)
    -the problems started 14 august 2014 when I tried to add new products to my site
    Before the last additions were done in december 2013 and I only removed product in between these 2 periods.

and a specific product that has the problem is http://ww2collector.nl/zencart/index...roducts_id=866

Hope this gives you guys more information on what is going on and what might be a solution to fix the problem.

Henri
    Good and bad news.

Good news is that the reason is now clear. Please read this thread: http://www.zen-cart.com/showthread.p...ions+disappear

Bad news is the same thread, and that with the php version on your host, you will need to upgrade your ZC. This thread may help after you have done that: http://www.zen-cart.com/showthread.p...ions+disappear

The upgrade process is described: http://www.zen-cart.com/content.php?...pgrade-my-site
    And
    http://www.zen-cart.com/content.php?...-zen-cart-site

Plugin Contributions

Hi MC12345678,

So here we go:

Henri
    Took a quick glance at your site. From looking at the homepage I can tell the following:
    You have the mistik template installed. As part of your upgrade you will need to compare the files of the template to similar files in the templates_default directory and incorporate the code that is equivalent/upgraded.
    You have some version of image handler installed. I don't recall what version worked. With 1.3.9h, but if you go through the upgrade there is a new version that is compatible with ZC 1.5.x. (Image handler 4)
    An alternative is to temporarily downgrade the php version, but realize that the newer the version (stable anyways) the more secure/up-to-date with current standards. So in your case you have a "good" version of php, but your ZC site is older.

I'm guessing that because your site was installed back when it was in 2011, that the version installed is what you are currently running (meaning it has not been upgraded from the time it was installed.)

Hope that helps a little, otherwise identifying the installed plugins might be possible through comparison of a fresh copy of the same version of zc and your current files.

Plugin Contributions

Hi MC12345678,

Thank you again for your reply!

I will need to do some reading, so I will!
    Hope I can manage everything, because like mentioned in my first post: I don't really understand all the hardcore programming terms and what it does.

To explain a bit on what you wrote in your last reply.
    I believe when I installed ZC for the first time, it was version v1.3.8 and is upgraded to the version I am running now.
    I all ready noticed that current versions are running v1.5xxx, but I hazetate with simple clicking the button to upgrade.
    This because my ZC was customized and I don't know what the effect is from the upgrade to these custom changes.

Image handler was installed, but I hardly use it as a program.
    I just rename my photo's and upload them directly with FTP to the desired directory.

OK, I am going to read the threads you send and hope it mkes sence to me.
    Will let you know here how and what!

Thanks!

Henri

Plugin Contributions

Hi MC12345678,

Thank you again for your reply!

I will need to do some reading, so I will!
    Hope I can manage everything, because like mentioned in my first post: I don't really understand all the hardcore programming terms and what it does.

To explain a bit on what you wrote in your last reply.
    I believe when I installed ZC for the first time, it was version v1.3.8 and is upgraded to the version I am running now.
    I all ready noticed that current versions are running v1.5xxx, but I hazetate with simple clicking the button to upgrade.
    This because my ZC was customized and I don't know what the effect is from the upgrade to these custom changes.

Image handler was installed, but I hardly use it as a program.
    I just rename my photo's and upload them directly with FTP to the desired directory.

OK, I am going to read the threads you send and hope it mkes sence to me.
    Will let you know here how and what!

Thanks!

Henri
    Couple of things, I realize english is a2nd (3rd, 4th, etc.) Language. If there is something that could use some clarification or "translation" donot hesitate to post here about it.

Hopefully all of the customization was made in the folders of the template mistik. If so, those customizations will carry over when the template is copied over. I have simplified that statement/action, but it is relatively true.

In the mean time, I think that to restore the content of the products affected by the recent edits, if you know how to use myphpadmin, you can enter the missing content there. And then you can remove/revise the statement from your home page.

Plugin Contributions

Hi MC12345678

Thank you for your reply again!
    Well, it is not that I don't understand English, but i am strugling more with the terms used for programming.
    Because I never took the time to really understand it, I am affraid that I do something wrong.

The customizations that are done are partilay "design", so to my opinion the template.
    But there are also things done like "reserved" when some one orders an item.
    Don't know if this is also template related or something else.

I never used myphpadmin, but are willing to try it.
    Were can I find it?

In the mean time I have today downloaded the complete zencart directory from the server as a back up.
    I read it in one of the topics, but don't really understand what to do next.

For example: I have downloaded all the zencart files.
    In one of the topics I read that you have to back-up zencart and you have to back-up the database.
    If I have downloaded the complete zencart directory, did I then also download the database?
    BTW I have used WSFTP to download it.
    This I generaly also use to upload files and pictures.

Further one there is talked about WinMerge.
    What does it do and can this be handy for me?

Henri

Sorry that I am not that knowledgeable, but hope that you guys hae the patience to direct me in how and what!

Plugin Contributions

Hi MC12345678

Thank you for your reply again!
    Well, it is not that I don't understand English, but i am strugling more with the terms used for programming.
    Because I never took the time to really understand it, I am affraid that I do something wrong.

The customizations that are done are partilay "design", so to my opinion the template.
    But there are also things done like "reserved" when some one orders an item.
    Don't know if this is also template related or something else.

I never used myphpadmin, but are willing to try it.
    Were can I find it?

In the mean time I have today downloaded the complete zencart directory from the server as a back up.
    I read it in one of the topics, but don't really understand what to do next.

For example: I have downloaded all the zencart files.
    In one of the topics I read that you have to back-up zencart and you have to back-up the database.
    If I have downloaded the complete zencart directory, did I then also download the database?
    BTW I have used WSFTP to download it.
    This I generaly also use to upload files and pictures.

Further one there is talked about WinMerge.
    What does it do and can this be handy for me?

Henri

Sorry that I am not that knowledgeable, but hope that you guys hae the patience to direct me in how and what!
    In my opinion, terms for programming/english in this case are one in the same. Something not understood. I would say (or like to say) that a majority of those here that post to help others have an overwhelming patience to work with those that seek assistance and provide back/answer the questions asked/identify or describe things well enough to understand without "being there". Afterall it is all Zen, no? :)

I don't understand what "reserved" means directly. Could you possibly describe what that is/how it works/what conditions make that happen, etc. (Do not need to answwer all questions, I am just trying to equate what you are describing to something I may be familiar with.) It could be language related, it could be that there is something special that has been done to provide that functionality.

Backups of everything and making changes to a version of the store thaat is not the "live" site helps to prevent doing something wrong. Ideaally that is how you will/can build your site and still take orders from your existing site.

(Btw, my apologies, but I am writing from a cell phone, the a key sometimes doesn't respond as desired, either no a, or multiple. At the moment I have given up on correcting what appears as it slows me down. I realize that double a's are common in Dutch, but... :) )

Myphpadmin is found in your host's cPanel. Typically under a section about databases. It provides direct access to the information thaat is used to display your site content. ZC is a two part application, aall the files that process and display the data, and the database that also helps the code identify how to process the database and what content to display. You've backed up the file part, the database part can be done a number of ways. One is through the myphpadmin, the other is through dr. Bytes database backup utility and actuaally I think there is one that will backup both the files and database in "one click".

Once in myphpadmin, would need to find/identify which products to update. The product description information is found in the table that ends with products_description. The product to update would have the products_id that matches what you saw in the admin paanel for product I'd on the left side. You would then select to edit that product and populate the description with all of the text (and applicable html tags) understand though that some characters must be escaped (a backwards slash added before the character) to ensure that the content will be properly displayed. For example: he's here. Should be entered as he\'s here.

WinMerge compares files aand directories to show the differences between the two "objects". If you have every held up two pieces of paper on top of each other to see whaat is different between them, this is what winMerge does but it highlights the differrences allowing you to copy information from one side to the other. It or any other comparison tool is highly advised in a situation where you would want to compare two electronic files. When I stted to compare the template files against the templates_default files, this is what I was considering using. Another recommended application on this site is beyond compare. It allows you to compare files on a local computer with those on a remote server from what I understand. I haven't used it yet, but makes things a little faster as the changes basically get updated immediately and there is no need to have two copies of information on your local computer, but the trade off is that now a change could be made and it may be difficult to undo. :/

Help a little more? :)

Plugin Contributions

Couple of things I noticed in this thread.

First, using text creation products like Word to create text is a recipe for disaster. Open Word, type "Hello World", save as html, open file in text editor like notepad.

It's very hard to copy from programs like Word, Dreamweaver, etc without getting the embedded code. You need to use something else.

Second, you should never use anything to upgrade or install Zen Cart other than the files provided by Zen Cart itself. Anything else will likely cause problems.

Third, take a look at this advice from DrByte about upgrading. http://www.zen-cart.com/entry.php?3-...d-of-upgrading

Many of the changes you made in 1.3.9x will not work with the 1.5.x series. Many would need to be removed due to their PHP code not being current. You may find that the newer version fits many of your needs and doesn't need all the mods added previously.

While doing the upgrade, consider starting with a responsive template. There are so many tablets and smart phones out there that it's time to "go with the flow".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast