Plugin Contributions

Default Attributes and their place in the DB

I have been examining the database tables in order to understand completely how products in an order are related to their attributes.

A bit o prep for the question...if an order were to contain the following [model] - [Option1][Option1 Value] [Option2][Option2 Value] with three different combinations...

Product 1 - Color: Red Size: Medium
    Product 1 - Color:Blue Size: Medium
    Product 1 - Color: Green Size: Medium

Will there be three individual db entries for the same model number in the orders_products table? I do not see where anything says "yes" but it is the only way I can see how the orders_products_attributes table can get a link back to a specific line item in the order.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Attributes and their place in the DB

Quote Originally Posted by g2ktcf View Post
    I have been examining the database tables in order to understand completely how products in an order are related to their attributes.

A bit o prep for the question...if an order were to contain the following [model] - [Option1][Option1 Value] [Option2][Option2 Value] with three different combinations...

Product 1 - Color: Red Size: Medium
    Product 1 - Color:Blue Size: Medium
    Product 1 - Color: Green Size: Medium

Will there be three individual db entries for the same model number in the orders_products table? I do not see where anything says "yes" but it is the only way I can see how the orders_products_attributes table can get a link back to a specific line item in the order.
    You'd wind up with 3 separate records in the orders_products table (one for each combination) and then 6 records total (2 attributes * 3 combinations) in the orders_products_attributes table; each of the records will contain the same orders_id value, pointing back to the overall order.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by lat9 View Post
    You'd wind up with 3 separate records in the orders_products table (one for each combination) and then 6 records total (2 attributes * 3 combinations) in the orders_products_attributes table; each of the records will contain the same orders_id value, pointing back to the overall order.
    Perfect! Exactly what I thought it would have to be. THANKS!

Plugin Contributions

The only time the orders_products table will have multiple, duplicate products_model entries is if the customer orders two of the model. Since each could still have separate attributes, they are tied together in the orders_products_attributes table.
    The order_id is tied to the orders_products_id and then to the orders_products_attributes_id
    The duplicate products_model entries are given separate orders_products_id. The separate orders_products_id entries then get the tied to the appropriate orders_products_attributes_id.

Beat me to it.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by dbltoe View Post
    The only time the orders_products table will have multiple, duplicate products_model entries is if the customer orders two of the model. Since each could still have separate attributes, they are tied together in the orders_products_attributes table.
    The order_id is tied to the orders_products_id and then to the orders_products_attributes_id
    The duplicate products_model entries are given separate orders_products_id. The separate orders_products_id entries then get the tied to the appropriate orders_products_attributes_id.

Beat me to it.
    I appreciate it all the same!