Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default I need step-by-step instructions on updating my site! Help!

I currently have ZenCart version Zen Cart v1.3.7.1/v1.3.7 and I need to upgrade to the newest version so I can get USPS shipping module up and running. I need step-by-step instructions on how to do. I am new to website maintenance. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: I need step-by-step instructions on updating my ZenCart version! Help!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: I need step-by-step instructions on updating my ZenCart version! Help!

I unfortunately do not know or understand all the computer lingo. For example what is a new directory, php files, etc. I am very new to website maintenance so I pretty much do not know how to anything lol.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by theteapet View Post
    For example what is a new directory, php files, etc.

I am very new to website maintenance so I pretty much do not know how to anything lol.
    Maybe I'm mistaken, but if you don't understand not even the very basics, how do you think you'll be able to upgrade your site? It's not a 3-click process... It actually does require some knowledge and there are 2 approaches - you can either rebuild your site from scratch or do manual file comparison and merging.

If you're clueless about what you're doing, you should NOT tackle with the live site because the damage you do might be irreversible. Instead, create a FULL backup of the site (both files and database) and then start upgrading on a clone site. You're in for quite some work, but it's definitely gonna be an interesting learning curve for you.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by theteapet View Post
    I unfortunately do not know or understand all the computer lingo. For example what is a new directory, php files, etc. I am very new to website maintenance so I pretty much do not know how to anything lol.
    Everyone here, including the Zencart developers, were at one time new to this and not up on the computer lingo. No time like the present to start learning.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by stevesh View Post
    Everyone here, including the Zencart developers, were at one time new to this and not up on the computer lingo. No time like the present to start learning.
    I can't think of a single time that Stevesh and I have even come close to disagreeing on a solution to a problem.

Also, I am one of the first to tout that time spent learning is probably the most valuable with the greatest "return on investment".

But, in this case there's more at stake than just some time spent.
    1. Any site using 1.3.7 is in big trouble.
      • The version is ancient and vulnerable to attack if not already attacked. (Sorry, but I don't think theteapet would notice.)
      • The version uses abandoned versions of PHP and MySql.
      • The above two items lead to a major concern about the capabilities of the host.

2. Not knowing how to create a directory indicates to me that FTP, file compression, file editing, etc. are way out there on the learning curve.

It is NEVER a bad thing to admit that you don't know and ask for help. It is ALWAYS beneficial to know where to find answers. This forum is one of the best for answers.

However, unless this shop is just a side project or hobby, I think this is one of those times when necessity and expediency overrules the opportunity to learn.

@theteapet - Please see a PM sent your way.

Plugin Contributions

I don't agree with this. Back when I was a teenager I knew everything about everything.

As I got older I forgot most of what I knew and had to relearn from scratch. :-)

Cheers
    RodG

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by RodG View Post
    I don't agree with this. Back when I was a teenager I knew everything about everything.

As I got older I forgot most of what I knew and had to relearn from scratch. :-)

Cheers
    RodG
    Yes, but everything is backwards and upside-down in Australia as compared to the US.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by dbltoe View Post
    I can't think of a single time that Stevesh and I have even come close to disagreeing on a solution to a problem.

Also, I am one of the first to tout that time spent learning is probably the most valuable with the greatest "return on investment".

But, in this case there's more at stake than just some time spent.
    1. Any site using 1.3.7 is in big trouble.
      • The version is ancient and vulnerable to attack if not already attacked. (Sorry, but I don't think theteapet would notice.)
      • The version uses abandoned versions of PHP and MySql.
      • The above two items lead to a major concern about the capabilities of the host.

2. Not knowing how to create a directory indicates to me that FTP, file compression, file editing, etc. are way out there on the learning curve.

It is NEVER a bad thing to admit that you don't know and ask for help. It is ALWAYS beneficial to know where to find answers. This forum is one of the best for answers.

However, unless this shop is just a side project or hobby, I think this is one of those times when necessity and expediency overrules the opportunity to learn.

@theteapet - Please see a PM sent your way.
    We agree this time, too. I didn't notice @theteapet was using 1.3.7.

Plugin Contributions

Yes, but everything is backwards and upside-down in Australia as compared to the US.
    Are you suggesting that US teenagers DON'T know everything? <shakes head in dis-belief>

Cheers
    RodG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast