Thread: Excess files

Plugin Contributions

Default Excess files

Hello all, I just have a quick question about some of the files that I do not use and do not plan to use on zen cart. I realize that some of them may be built in to the functionality of the site, but the ones that are stand alones, like order total mods and payment mods, files that support music and document products, etc. If I won't be using them, would it be okay to delete them? I know they do little to affect the actual size of zen-cart but I was just curious. I'd like to try to keep my files clean, it's just easier for me to navigate through.

Thank you.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Excess files

Quote Originally Posted by joyjoy View Post
    Hello all, I just have a quick question about some of the files that I do not use and do not plan to use on zen cart. I realize that some of them may be built in to the functionality of the site, but the ones that are stand alones, like order total mods and payment mods, files that support music and document products, etc. If I won't be using them, would it be okay to delete them?
    As a general rule, yes. If they aren't things you are using they can be deleted (in fact this is generally considered good practice).

Quote Originally Posted by joyjoy View Post
    I know they do little to affect the actual size of zen-cart but I was just curious. I'd like to try to keep my files clean, it's just easier for me to navigate through.
    The only thing to be worried about is in deleting files that you don't think are being used, but are. This can 'kill' the site, so on this basis, play it safe. Instead of deleting the files you should move them to another folder/directory outside of the zencart file structure (If your store is in the top level directory of your site you should create a new directory/folder and copy them there). This way, if things do go wrong you can always replace them.

Needless to say, you'll need to check all the functions/features of the site after doing this so that you will find any issues before the customers do, and keep a good watch on the log files (at least for a while) to help identify problems that you may have missed.

What you *shouldn't* do is delete stuff from the database (even if it is 'obvious' it is something you aren't using). Although in theory there shouldn't be any harm in doing this, if you do get it wrong it can be very, very difficult to restore things again (unless you happen to have a full and current backup). Having 'unused' /tables/fields in the database is never going to cause a problem, but the accidental removal of a single one can kill the site and diagnosing the cause can be a nightmare. It is best to leave the DB alone.

Cheers
    RodG

Plugin Contributions

Large sign above my desk in the Air Force....

IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON"T FIX IT!

The extra files are miniscule in the scheme of things. However, the time to fix things the one time they are needed will be lengthy.

Had a friend who always deleted fonts, dlls, etc that he "didn't need." Odd that his computer is in the shop three or four times a year for a rebuild.

Concentrate on the increase of content in your site. That will serve you far better.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by dbltoe View Post

The extra files are miniscule in the scheme of things. However, the time to fix things the one time they are needed will be lengthy.

Had a friend who always deleted fonts, dlls, etc that he "didn't need." Odd that his computer is in the shop three or four times a year for a rebuild.

Concentrate on the increase of content in your site. That will serve you far better.
    Nods in agreement !

The only 'useless' files may be images of obsolete products..... but nothing else.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for the response. I removed the sample images and old files and tables from my db from mods that I no longer utilize. Everything seems fine, so I guess I'm safe.

Plugin Contributions

The problem with this philosophy is that it prevents progress, and if the Air Force stood by this statement they've still be using biplanes rather than jets. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correla...mply_causation

Can't argue with that.

Cheers
    RodG

Plugin Contributions

Typically, I always delete the /extras and docs/ folders in the /catalog since they are rarely needed.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by bislewl View Post
    Typically, I always delete the /extras and docs/ folders in the /catalog since they are rarely needed.
    I tend to keep the /extras hanging around because the cURL & ipn test programs can be quite handy at times.

I do delete the /docs folder, and the /media /pub folders (when not used)

Cheers
    RodG