Plugin Contributions

Default New template not working?!

Hi all, this is my time using Zen Cart, but I've been building websites for several years. Very surprised this one has me stumped.

I have done a lot of reading on Zen Cart and started with the basics. However, once I change to my CUSTOM template, my website visually goes blank. This is one of the main tutorials I'm following, among others: http://www.zen-cart.com/content.php?...ustom-template

I did everything like the tutorial said to, and it all made sense. However, after I finished changing my new template over (Tools > Template Selection), and then went to check out my website, the page is totally blank. Just white, no text, no anything.
    http://pixelberrypiedesigns.com/shop/

Help?
    I've been over all the steps again. And I deleted my CUSTOM template files, and then restarted the process. Can't figure out what might be blocking the custom template from appearing!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: New template not working?!

A white screen is a sign that you have a PHP error within the script. You can either turn on error_reporting if you have access, or view the PHP log files to see the error.

It may be as simple as a ; missing, or a } if you are updating a template file.

| absolute |
    Back, after a 4 year absence! Did you miss me?
    Absolute Web Solutions Ltd
    Interested in our work? Take a look at one of our sites - The Tech Store

Plugin Contributions

And those error log files will be in your /logs folder. Post the newest one here if you don't understand what it's telling you.

Plugin Contributions

Alright, here's the problem log. I've received dozens of these!

[20-Oct-2014 21:59:48 America/Denver] PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING in ........shop/includes/languages/custom/english.php on line 433

Code in question:
    430 | define('TEXT_BEFORE_DOWN_FOR_MAINTENANCE', 'NOTICE: This website is scheduled to be down for maintenance on: ');
    431 | define('TEXT_ADMIN_DOWN_FOR_MAINTENANCE', 'NOTICE: The website is currently Down For Maintenance to the public');
    432 |
    433 | define('PRODUCTS_PRICE_IS_FREE_TEXT','It's Free!');

I didn't see anything wrong here, and I never even touched this area anyways. Since the english.php file seems to be the problem, I went ahead and copied the master document and again put it in my custom folder, but this didn't help my website. It's still completely blank.

What else should I look at?

Plugin Contributions

You have a define missing an escape:
    Code:
    define('PRODUCTS_PRICE_IS_FREE_TEXT','It\'s Free!');
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Ajeh, thank you for your response, but the fix didn't get my website back to working.

I have now attempted turning on error_reporting, but not sure what I'm supposed to be looking at now that it's on. I followed the instructions at the bottom of this page: http://www.zen-cart.com/content.php?124-blank-page
    After doing this, what site page do I look at to find the error messages? Everything is still completely blank.

Plugin Contributions

What is in the current debug log in /logs directory?
    Linda McGrath

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]

Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Ah ha! YES! Thank you so much, Ajeh. I checked the newest logs and found that it had started showing another line in the english.php that was parsing wrong. Again, it was because the line text had an apostrophe and needed the "\". With both of those errors fixed.... MY TEMPLATE IS NOW WORKING! Now I can continue working on the template and customizing the design. THANKS A BUNCH!

Plugin Contributions

You are most welcome ... thanks for the update that you have this fixed ...

Keep in mind that the /logs should never have any debug logs ... if you find one, you need to fix the issue ... once you have fixed the problem, you can delete old debug logs from the /logs directory ...
    Linda McGrath