Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default When running zc_install appears not to have upgraded

I am currently running ZenCart version 1.3.8 and am upgrading to 1.5.3, I have downloaded the latest (w/hotfix) and am following the instructions here: http://www.zen-cart.com/content.php?140
    The problem is when I got to step #9. Choose the Upgrade Database option - There was nothing that told be to upgrade or offered a link to upgrade. At first it said my configure files were missing, then after going into the dist-configure.php at admin/includes/ & includes/ and filling out the data accuratley in both files, then I removed the "dist-" from configure leaving it configure.php, uploading to the appropriate folders and setting permissions (for now) at 744.
    I went back refreshed the zc_install/index.php page and now I have this http://www.shimmys.net/shopping2/
    My original database is in folder shopping/ new database is in folder shopping2/ I added the line date.timezone = "America/Los_Angeles" in my global php.ini and made a .htaccess file with the following line added: SetEnv TZ
    I also have a redirect set up in my Cpanel to shopping2/
    Yikes! Any help will be apprciated!
    Robert

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: When running zc_install appears not to have upgraded

If the stepsin that link were followed and the zc_install could not find configure.php files, then thatmeans they didn't exist to begin with and that step 5 wasn't followed (because if it was followed, then the files would have been modified to point to the new location.) Also, it indicates that step 7 wasn't followed as written which is to simply cover over the "old"/existing files with the new files. New install files do not include a configure.php that. Wouldoverwrite an existing version, so the files that should have been modified in step 5 would still be there after performing step 7...

Beyond that, I don't see what the issue is.

It's good that you've found and are using some of the posted instructions to finally get away from 1.3.8. There's another set that seem to help do this from Dr. Byte: http://www.zen-cart.com/entry.php?3-...d-of-upgrading
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

I have followed ALL the steps, when it didn't find the config, I put one in the appropriate spot, didn't I already say this? I filled it out and NO UPGRADE... this was supposed to be a simple cut and dry upgrade why why hwywhwywhw!

Plugin Contributions

Step 7 says: Now load the "new" version files to your new temp directory (from latest downloaded ZIP) it says nothing about overwriting files that were old, in fact that would make mute the whole point of creating a new database so you don't screw up the OLD one. All steps were followed, how do I fix the store, It can't be in this state Monday!!!

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by RAD1964 View Post
    Step 7 says: Now load the "new" version files to your new temp directory (from latest downloaded ZIP) it says nothing about overwriting files that were old, in fact that would make mute the whole point of creating a new database so you don't screw up the OLD one. All steps were followed, how do I fix the store, It can't be in this state Monday!!!
    Correct, it says in step 7 to load the new files in the new directory. In step 3 a new directory was created that has the old files, therefore the directions say to load the new files over the old files that are in the new directory.

Plugin Contributions

Also, step 5 says to modify the configure.php files to point to the new database, so again, if in step 7 the files in thenewdirectory were overwritten with the new files, then the configure.php files would still be there and the database upgrade option would have been presented.

Now, what the instructions don't identify is that even when overwriting sommetimes some files also haveto be deleted, and while they will be "discovered" during operation, the files to be deleted are pretty well covered in the documentation as well.

Plugin Contributions

If thats the case you all need to re-write the instructions to be CLEARER. I am a web developer, doing this stuff for over 14 years and if its not clear to me, then it certainly won&#39;t be clear to the newbie.
    Is there somewhere where their are clear and precise directions with every step laid out?

Plugin Contributions

Plugin Contributions

So I notice there is no mention of an addition to the php.ini file or any htacces files, no changes are needed there? Or was I misinformed from yet a different set of instructions?

Plugin Contributions

Not misinformed... There is no "here is how to upgrade directly from version 1.3.8.(a-f) to 1.5.3" instructions. All of the instructions have an air of generic guidance to them. Each particular version has it's own requirements. The need for identifying say the timezone is more of a php requirement though it is covered in the forum as well and if the question is asked again, there is likely to be someone that will respond rather promptly with some guidance or instruction.

Overall though as long as ZC is able to kick in there is an error trapping system that guides users to their solution. There are base requirements for each version on which the software is expected to function with no issues straight out of the box, although that also assumes that the host has properly setup the service.

Anyways, ZC is designed to not require an .htaccess in the store's root. The other directories include an .htaccess as applicable for the content being provided and is considered to be hosted on an apache server. So a base install does not need a .htaccess file modification. The php.ini file may need a modification depending on what the host has established as the default/users modification. Again though there is help available when a problem arises. Most problems though come from an action performed. While not all instructions are so detailed to be able to perform blindly, they generally guide users down the right path.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast