Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default PayPal Express Checkout (35) SSL connect error

An error occurred when we tried to contact the payment processor. Please try again, select an alternate payment method, or contact the store owner for assistance. () - (35) SSL connect error.

this is for a online store in development, hosted by Godaddy, configured with SSL, setup Paypal express checkout either live or sandbox, was working fine before October, I didn't check the site often, only recently I tried to test the checkout process. got this error.

followed the Poodle vulnerability fix thread,

edited paypal_curl.php, but didn't find CURLOPT_SSLVERSION keyword in paypaldp.php

// CURLOPT_SSLVERSION => 3,

please advise and help! thx

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: PayPal Express Checkout (35) SSL connect error

As per the posted instructions at: http://www.zen-cart.com/showthread.p...yment-security
    the file to edit is: /includes/modules/payment/paypal/paypal_curl.php, but you said you edited something else.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Hi Dr. Byte,

I commented out CURLOPT_SSLVERSION => 3 in paypal_curl.php only.

search the whole directory, didn't find CURLOPT_SSLVERSION keyword in any other scripts like paypaldp.php which mentioned in the article.

the Poodle issue will cause this error, "An error occurred when we tried to contact the payment processor. Please try again, select an alternate payment method, or contact the store owner for assistance. () - (35) error:1408F10B:SSL routines:SSL3_GET_RECORD:wrong version number"

but my error shows An error occurred when we tried to contact the payment processor. Please try again, select an alternate payment method, or contact the store owner for assistance. () - (35) SSL connect error. is there any difference? thanks.

Plugin Contributions

(35) SSL connect error

what does this mean, cannot connect to the SSL installed with my site's web server on my godaddy hosting?

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    As per the posted instructions at: http://www.zen-cart.com/showthread.p...yment-security
    the file to edit is: /includes/modules/payment/paypal/paypal_curl.php, but you said you edited something else.

Plugin Contributions

looks like I have to change to Live instead of Sandbox in the store admin for paypal express checkout to make the checkout go through. weird.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by johnny1114 View Post
    looks like I have to change to Live instead of Sandbox in the store admin for paypal express checkout to make the checkout go through. weird.
    I have just checked paypal developer account, put my developer's API credentials I was always using, if Sandbox mode is checked in the store admin->paypal express, will still get error 35: ssl connect error. while if Live mode is checked, will get error below which i think it might be normal as i provided sandbox API only.

We are sorry for the inconvenience. The PayPal account authentication settings are not yet set up, or the API security information is incorrect. We are unable to complete your transaction. Please notify the store owner so they can correct this problem. (10002) 10002 Security error - Security header is not valid

so now looks like I cannot use paypal sandbox to test transactions, anyone came across this kind of issue after Poodle?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Live mode uses the real API credentials for your real PayPal account.
    Test mode requires the use of sandbox API credentials.

So, if you're going to switch between live and sandbox, you need to also re-enter the API credentials, else you'll get those 10002 Security Header Is Not Valid errors because you're authenticating against a non-existent account.

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Live mode uses the real API credentials for your real PayPal account.
    Test mode requires the use of sandbox API credentials.

So, if you're going to switch between live and sandbox, you need to also re-enter the API credentials, else you'll get those 10002 Security Header Is Not Valid errors because you're authenticating against a non-existent account.
    Dr.Byte, I believe I did, as I have been switching the live and sandbox ones since for almost a year, just easy change under store admin, right.

the issue now is that if using sandbox api with store's paypal express sandbox mode enabled, I will get error 35: SSL Connect Error,, it didn't happen before.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by johnny1114 View Post
    the issue now is that if using sandbox api with store's paypal express sandbox mode enabled, I will get error 35: SSL Connect Error,, it didn't happen before.
    Hmmmm ... mine doesn't.
    Fortunately no live store will be using the sandbox.

Plugin Contributions

I have ZC v1.5.3 and I'm currently getting the:

An error occurred when we tried to contact the payment processor. Please try again, select an alternate payment method, or contact the store owner for assistance. () - (35) error:14094410:SSL routines:SSL3_READ_BYTES:sslv3 alert handshake failure

I made the required changes according to the instructions for this issue as follows:

paypal_curl ***

var $_curlOptions = array(CURLOPT_HEADER => 0,
    CURLOPT_RETURNTRANSFER => TRUE,
    CURLOPT_TIMEOUT => 60,
    CURLOPT_FOLLOWLOCATION => FALSE,
    CURLOPT_SSL_VERIFYPEER => FALSE,
    CURLOPT_SSL_VERIFYHOST => 2,
    // CURLOPT_SSLVERSION => 3,
    CURLOPT_FORBID_REUSE => TRUE,
    CURLOPT_FRESH_CONNECT => TRUE,
    CURLOPT_POST => TRUE,
    );

paypaldp ***

http://curl.haxx.se/docs/caextract.html ... should never be used in production!
    curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_TIMEOUT, 8);
    curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_CONNECTTIMEOUT, 8);
    // curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_SSLVERSION, 3);

authorizenet_aim ***

curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_FRESH_CONNECT, 1);
    curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_HEADER, 0);
    curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_VERBOSE, 0);
    curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_POST, 1);
    curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_POSTFIELDS, $data);
    curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_RETURNTRANSFER, 1);
    curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_TIMEOUT, 15);
    curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_SSL_VERIFYPEER, FALSE); /* compatibility for SSL communications on some Windows servers (IIS

5.0+) */
    if (CURL_PROXY_REQUIRED == 'True') {

authorizenet_echeck ***

curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_FRESH_CONNECT, 1);
    curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_HEADER, 0);
    curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_VERBOSE, 0);
    curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_POST, 1);
    curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_POSTFIELDS, $data);
    curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_RETURNTRANSFER, 1);
    curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_TIMEOUT, 15);
    curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_SSL_VERIFYPEER, FALSE); /* compatibility for SSL communications on some Windows servers (IIS

5.0+) */
    if (CURL_PROXY_REQUIRED == 'True') {

class.linkpoint_api ***

curl_setopt ($ch, CURLOPT_URL,$host);
    curl_setopt ($ch, CURLOPT_POST, 1);
    curl_setopt ($ch, CURLOPT_POSTFIELDS, $xml);
    curl_setopt ($ch, CURLOPT_SSLCERT, $key);
    curl_setopt ($ch, CURLOPT_CAINFO, $key);
    curl_setopt ($ch, CURLOPT_SSL_VERIFYHOST, false);
    curl_setopt ($ch, CURLOPT_SSL_VERIFYPEER, false);
    // curl_setopt ($ch, CURLOPT_SSLVERSION, 3);
    curl_setopt ($ch, CURLOPT_RETURNTRANSFER, true);

I currently accept only CC and PayPal. I still get the error even though I made those changes.

I use the keyword search in developers tool and located 5 instances of the "CURLOPT_SSLVERSION" and changed all 5 as noted above. What else can I do?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast