Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Customers not receiving "Password Forgotten" email

Hello,

My "Password forgotten" emails are not being received. I've created multiple customer accounts to test this, using hotmail, gmail, and two different paid email addresses. None of them are receiving the email with their new password (I've checked spam folders). The "Forgotten Password" page says it successfully sent the email, but it never arrives, although the password is being changed.

Every other zen-cart email is working fine. I am able to send direct emails from the admin and the "Welcome", "Order confirmation" and "Order Status Update" emails are all working fine.

My zen-cart is hosted with Godaddy, PHP Version: 5.4.31, Database: MySQL 5.5.36-cll-lve, it's a fresh install, I haven't installed any addons or plugins. I installed by uploading via FTP and running zc_install. The changes I've made to the site have mostly been to the css, with some other small changes in unrelated areas.

I've been googling this problem for hours and none of the solutions I've found on various forum posts and different help articles have worked.
    What I've tried:
    - Modifying the wording and adding more detailed instructions to the "Password Forgotten" email to avoid it being caught by spam filters.
    - I've checked the forms action=" " address, and from what I've read it is correct.
    - I've contacted Godaddy to confirm that everything is set up properly with the email address I have set up in my "Email Options" settings.

I'm using SMTPAUTH and have double, triple and quadruple checked my SMTP settings, and based on everything I've read they are correct. I'm using a proper, paid-for email address for my email settings.

Any help is greatly appreciated, as I've tried everything I can find. I hope I've provided all of the necessary information, if not I apologize.

Thank you in advance for the help.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Customers not receiving "Password Forgotten" email

Quote Originally Posted by t4gal View Post
    Every other zen-cart email is working fine. I am able to send direct emails from the admin and the "Welcome", "Order confirmation" and "Order Status Update" emails are all working fine.
    In theory, if all other emails are able to be sent/recieved the so should the forgotten passwords, so on this basis (and a process of elimination) if you load the file

/includes/functions/functions_email.php into a text editor you should find a line that reads:

$emodules_array[] = array('id' => 'password_forgotten', 'text' => 'Password Forgotten');

Try changing this to something like

$emodules_array[] = array('id' => 'password_forgotten', 'text' => 'Pass Reset');
    (IOW, eliminate the text 'Password').

My theory/guess is that this could be triggering a filter rule somewhere and preventing the emails from being sent and are being silently discarded.

I will stress that this really is just a stab in the dark, and to be perfectly honest, I don't think it'll make a difference, but in the absence of any better ideas you don't have anything to lose by trying.

Cheers
    RodG

Plugin Contributions

I just gave that a try, but unfortunately it didn't solve my problem.

I appreciate the suggestion though.

Plugin Contributions

What is your admin setting for Configuration->E-Mail Options->Emails must send from known domain? aol, hotmail and possibly others instituted a change this summer such that if this setting is currently No, it might explain the lost/rejected emails.

Plugin Contributions

Sorry, I should have mentioned that in the original post. I do have "Emails must send from known domain?" Set to "Yes".

Plugin Contributions

Any other suggestions for me to try? I'm really stumped with this one.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Are there any errors showing in your /logs/ folder? ref: http://www.zen-cart.com/content.php?124-blank-page (whether you're getting blank pages or not)

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by RodG View Post
    In theory, if all other emails are able to be sent/recieved the so should the forgotten passwords, so on this basis (and a process of elimination) if you load the file

/includes/functions/functions_email.php into a text editor you should find a line that reads:

$emodules_array[] = array('id' => 'password_forgotten', 'text' => 'Password Forgotten');

Try changing this to something like

$emodules_array[] = array('id' => 'password_forgotten', 'text' => 'Pass Reset');
    (IOW, eliminate the text 'Password').

My theory/guess is that this could be triggering a filter rule somewhere and preventing the emails from being sent and are being silently discarded.

I will stress that this really is just a stab in the dark, and to be perfectly honest, I don't think it'll make a difference, but in the absence of any better ideas you don't have anything to lose by trying.

Cheers
    RodG
    That section of the code is actually largely unused, and has no bearing on this scenario.

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by t4gal View Post
    - I've contacted Godaddy to confirm that everything is set up properly with the email address I have set up in my "Email Options" settings.
    Did they trace whether they ever even receive the email to their systems?

Since Zen Cart says "sent successfully", that means it encountered no fatal error or rejection message when attempting to hand off the email to the SMTP server. So, that means the failure happens after Zen Cart hands it off to them. Only they can tell you where it ends up.

Plugin Contributions

Thank you for the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    Are there any errors showing in your /logs/ folder? ref: http://www.zen-cart.com/content.php?124-blank-page (whether you're getting blank pages or not)
    There is nothing in my /logs/ folder.

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    Did they trace whether they ever even receive the email to their systems?

Since Zen Cart says "sent successfully", that means it encountered no fatal error or rejection message when attempting to hand off the email to the SMTP server. So, that means the failure happens after Zen Cart hands it off to them. Only they can tell you where it ends up.
    I asked them about that when I called them, but they told me that zen-cart cannot send emails through the email account. Since I know little to nothing about how the emails really work, I accepted that answer. Perhaps I need to give them another call.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast