Plugin Contributions

red flag Unauthenticated email from yahoo.com is not accepted due to domain's DMARC policy

I've read the forum about emails, but I don't understand most of the terminology. I went in the admin controls , then under email , pulled it up and I have no idea what I'm even looking!
    As it is now , all of the bounced emails go into my regular email's spam folder, causing me to miss customer inquiries.
    Can someone please let me know what I need to do in layman's terms to be able to send and receive emails from my web site without it coming back as unknown...bounced? It's so frustrating, I have no idea !
    Thanks! Below is what I am getting!

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
    recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data:
    host gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com [74.125.69.26]:
    550-5.7.1 Unauthenticated email from yahoo.com is not accepted due to domain's
    550-5.7.1 DMARC policy. Please contact administrator of yahoo.com domain if
    550-5.7.1 this was a legitimate mail. Please visit
    550-5.7.1 http://support.google.com/mail/answer/2451690 to learn about DMARC
    550 5.7.1 initiative. n93si34146377ioe.47 - gsmtp

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Mail Error...HELP

That tells me you've got your store set up to pretend it's a yahoo server but it's not.

ie: you're sending emails from something like "mystore@ yahoo.com" instead of "[email protected]"
    And, yahoo doesn't let you impersonate them (that is, you're not allowed to send mail through *your* server using a FROM address of abc@ yahoo.com), because that's what spammers do.

Solutions:

1. The BEST solution is to have a real mailbox in your website's own domain, ie: [email protected] if your store is at www.example.com (note how example.com is the same in both). Customers find those kinds of emails much more reliable and trustworthy too.

2. If you really don't like making your email address the same as your store and insist on using a yahoo address, then you'll need to configure your store to use SMTPAUTH to login to your yahoo account so it can send emails through the yahoo servers. This is explained at http://www.zen-cart.com/wiki/index.p...#Yahoo_Hosting (see steps 2-4 in that section). If you need further help with the correct SMTP settings, contact Yahoo Support. (You may have to upgrade your yahoo account to a Plus plan for an annual fee to enable remote SMTP capability .... so why not go with option 1 above instead?)

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

My web designer set everything up for me and used anne@downtownhoundz as my email addy. I have NO idea where to go on the admin panel to change it to my regular email either, can you advise me on that? I added the above email addy to my address book on my regular email. But I still am not able to send out newsletters or anything from my site. Can you guide me please?

Plugin Contributions

The way I approach it is that if there is no good reason for using a different email address for different "actions" (notification of using a coupon, etc.) then anywhere that an email address can go in the configuration->emails I would enter the email address setup for your host account. And as suggested/discussed above if your account requires login to send email then use the SMTPAUTH option and provide your email account password and enter the server information related to smtp. This information (smtp server) is typically provided in your cPanel.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

FWIW, I've also found that Configuration->E-Mail Options->Emails Must Send from a Known Domain must be set to Yes for communications to customers with AOL and yahoo addresses.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by greytful4 View Post
    My web designer set everything up for me and used anne@downtownhoundz as my email addy. I have NO idea where to go on the admin panel to change it to my regular email either, can you advise me on that?
    Before you make any changes, what is it set up for right now? Go to Admin->Configuration->Email Options and copy+paste all the settings from there to here. (of course if there's a password, replace it with stars after you paste it)

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.