Plugin Contributions

application error Digital Seller? How are you dealing with #VATMOSS?

From Jan 2015 VAT has to be charged on digital sales to customers from the EU, at whichever rate their country uses: regardless of where you live; regardless of what your own turnover is and regardless of how much the sale was for. You have to locate where your Customer normally resides, then apply the correct rate of VAT, and then submit quarterly returns to that country. Some have thought it's easy enough just to block EU customers, but it has been said that this is discriminatory and against other EU rules. Oh and you have to keep your data for 10 years, on a server in the EU.

This isn't an early April Fools

Many digital sellers still don't know about this - most of us found out 3 weeks ago - or don't think it applies to them because they don't earn enough, or are non-EU. There is a campaign going on called #VATMOSS which has been picked up by the media but we are still trying to let people know and find out how the platforms/software we use is going to cope/can be modified to comply.

Only now are the big guys issuing statements on how their systems are going to be compliant - we little guys who are ZenCart fans would like to know if suitable data can be collected and then the VAT rates applied preferably with automatic updates.

Do you know about the new rules? How are you implementing them in your store? Anyone working on a plugin? Or, can anyone show us 'how' to set up our stores to comply?

N.B. There is another thread already, but I was told by a Mod to start a new thread.
    http://www.zen-cart.com/showthread.p...EU-digital-VAT

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Digital Seller? How are you dealing with #VATMOSS?

I guess nobody using ZenCart is selling digital goods...

Plugin Contributions

While we're working to implement lat9's solution, it is difficult to comprehend how there is any expectation of enforceability outside the EU which could be the reason for minimal response.
    Rick
    RixStix (dot) com
    aka: ChainWeavers (dot) com

Plugin Contributions

I know there are a lot of digital scrap stores that are very concerned and waiting to find out what needs to be done to be compliant

Plugin Contributions

If the EU wants non-EU to work for them, they should expect to pay the non-EU.

Plugin Contributions

For now I have blocked EU countries from registering. My store is very small and I am not in a position to deal with VAT. I live in Australia.

My main store is on Etsy, whom have denied responsibly, however they are clearly a marketplace via EU's definition and therefore liable.