Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Hitting a wall with installation : blank screen

It's been a long time since I've last posted, 2008-2009 really.

Anyways, I'm trying to upgrade my cart (1.3.8a), I'm also changing hosts. But none of that matters at the moment because I can't even get the install to start.

Basically, I've uploaded all the zencart 1.5.4 files, renamed the 2 configure files, changed permissions on them, changed permissions on the folders. And now I'm stuck. the /zc_install nor the /zc_install/index.php aren't working and lead to blank pages, no error messages, just blank. I've done the above twice. I don't know where to start looking for the cause of this problem, I can't even begin the install.

I'm probably missing something basic here, the dev I paid to do the install and database import hasn't been able to do the install saying the tilde ~ in the web address my host set up is what's causing the problem.(I won't make the domain point to the new site until it's all up and running) Is this a true statement?

The dev also wasn't able to import my old database, but with my host's help we managed to get the old database imported without the dev's involvement... So I'm a little tired and frustrated I guess.

Anyways, any pointers would be appreciated...

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Hitting a wall with installation : blank screen

Some additional information may help others help you... (BTW, sorry to hear that you've had such a go with this update, but glad that you are moving away from such an old version.)

Current PHP version?
    Origin of the install?
    The zc_install folder, has it been uploaded anew instead of just running it again?
    There has been some truth to the use of the temporary URI as compared to the full URI causing trouble.
    The database issue, well... There may be issues with the configure.php files as part of this... Perhaps post them without database credentials, and if listed specific directory information about the admin directory (not expected under a 1.5.x install).
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

New host's php 5.4.32, mysql 5.6.21
    Doing the install in the /public_html folder on the server
    When I did the 2nd attempt, I first deleted all the files and re-uploaded from scratch, used Filezilla, no errors reported both times.

The DB issue withimporting it, the host said it was due to a MYISAM line. But it's imported now, just not upgraded because I can't start the install.

I'm not concerned with keeping any custom modules or custom code or any templates, I just want to preserve customer details, orders and products/categories.

The problem came when I spent the past 2 months wasting time and money on lerning and playing with OpenCart and PrestaShop, both going nowhere fast and costing hundreds for modules. I'm ashamed to say I didn't know people have created responsive and scaling templates for zencart 1.5.x which is why I didn't bother with it initially.
    Last edited by Northfur; 6 Jan 2015 at 06:39 AM.

Plugin Contributions

So all files uploaded from a fresh download/unzip of the zencart files obtained from basically www.zen-cart.com/getit, no changes made to anything, no additional uploads, try to perform yoursite[dot]com/zc_install and white screen is result...

Hmmm.. MYISAM and an old database... Wondering if need to possibly run the UTF-8 upgrade on it before trying the zc_install again? There is a utility in the downloads section to do that with the database...

I am a little stumped at the moment myself, although that is because I don't have all of the applicable information only assumptions that I do.. Able to install on your server with a demo database? Then drop the database, import the old database and try the zc_install upgrade? (Assuming that the DB_PREFIX for "both" stores is the same...

Are you also sure that PHP 5.4.32 and the other settings are what are being "presented" to your ZC install? Not restricted by say something in your public_html .htaccess file or similar?
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Any errors in the web server's error logs? Or in the "debug" logs generate during installation (when running zc_install)?

Have you tried a clean install into an empty folder and empty database yet? If not, I would recommend trying this before going any further. This will create new configure.php files (with detected settings for the new hosting environment). Make sure during the installation to use the same DB_PREFIX as the 1.3.8a installation. This is the first step of rebuilding your Zen Cart installation using a new version.

I have not tested this in Zen Cart 1.5.4, but in the older 1.5.x versions there were some know issues when using an "IP Address" (instead of a domain name). Depending upon how you are handling DNS for the domain (most hosting providers have their own internal DNS records for each site - pointing to their internal servers - not the root name servers)... There are some ways to leave the domain pointing to the old hosting provider for the general public (leave the root name servers and DNS records alone)... And tell your personal "development" computer to resolve the domain to the new hosting provider's "IP Address" (search online for "Change Host File").
    Last edited by lhungil; 6 Jan 2015 at 07:03 AM.
    The glass is not half full. The glass is not half empty. The glass is simply too big!
    Where are the Zen Cart Debug Logs? Where are the HTTP 500 / Server Error Logs?
    Zen Cart related projects maintained by lhûngîl : Plugin / Module Tracker

Plugin Contributions

I will ask my host for some help with another ticket, since this is probably another problem on their end, maybe related to MYISAM.

my dev also did a fresh install early this morning in a /public_html/zen folder he made. He and I both had the same result with a blank page when accessing zc_install.

There are several empty databases sitting on the site, but does this matter in the sense that I can't even get to the first step of the install let alone the step where I'd be able to tell the installer to create a new DB or upgrade.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Northfur View Post
    ... my dev also did a fresh install early this morning in a /public_html/zen folder he made. He and I both had the same result with a blank page when accessing zc_install. ...
    Sorry to sound like a broken record, but just want to be sure... Can I assume when you said "install" you were referring to "uploaded a clean copy of all files in the Zen Cart 1.5.4 distribution archive (without any configure.php files)"? And then you attempted to finish the installation by accessing "/~account/zc_install/"?

Have you tried manually typing "/~account/zc_install/index.php" into your browser (substitute the correct path)?

Can you post (use code tags - the # in the editor when posting) the output of phpinfo() on the new hosting provider?

Is the HTTP response code 200, 500, or something else?
    Last edited by lhungil; 6 Jan 2015 at 08:14 AM.

Plugin Contributions

My host "fixed" the problem by uploading a different index.php file in the zc_install directory. The install page comes up and says it's 1.5.4, I haven't run it yet.

I've looked through it briefly and it's an older file they put up? This is what they uploaded in place of the index.php.

PHP Code:
    <?php
    /**
     * index.php -- This is the main hub file for the Zen Cart installer
     * @package Installer
     * @access private
     * @copyright Copyright 2003-2007 Zen Cart Development Team
     * @copyright Portions Copyright 2003 osCommerce
     * @license http://www.zen-cart.com/license/2_0.txt GNU Public License V2.0
     * @version $Id: index.php 7404 2007-11-11 04:09:50Z drbyte $
     */

define('IS_ADMIN_FLAG',false);
    /*
     * Ensure that the include_path can handle relative paths, before we try to load any files
     */

if (!strstr(ini_get('include_path'), '.')) ini_set('include_path''.' PATH_SEPARATOR ini_get('include_path'));
    /*
     * Initialize system core components
     */

require('includes/application_top.php');

/* This is for debug purposes to run installer from command line. Set to true to enable it:  */

if (false) {
        if (
    $argc 0) {
          for (
    $i=1;$i<$argc;$i++) {

$it split("=",$argv[$i]);

$_GET[$it[0]] = $it[1];

// parse_str($argv[$i],$tmp);
            // $_REQUEST = array_merge($_REQUEST, $tmp);

}
        }
      }

// init vars:

$zc_first_field '';

// begin processing page-specific actions

if (!isset($_GET['main_page']) || !zen_not_null($_GET['main_page'])) $_GET['main_page'] = 'index';

$current_page $_GET['main_page'];

$page_directory 'includes/modules/pages/' $current_page;

$language_page_directory 'includes/languages/' $language '/';
      require(
    $language_page_directory $current_page '.php');
      require(
    'includes/languages/' $language '.php');

//  $zc_install->logDetails('$_POST = ' . print_r($_POST, true) . print_r($_SESSION, true), $current_page . '-index.php', 'testing_flow');
    //  $zc_install->logDetails($zc_install->getConfigKey('*', true), $current_page . '-index.php - before header_php', 'testing_flow');

require($page_directory '/header_php.php');
      require(
    DIR_WS_INSTALL_TEMPLATE 'common/html_header.php');

//  $zc_install->logDetails($zc_install->getConfigKey('*', true), $current_page . '-index.php - AFTER header_php', 'testing_flow');

require(DIR_WS_INSTALL_TEMPLATE 'common/main_template_vars.php');
      require(
    DIR_WS_INSTALL_TEMPLATE 'common/tpl_main_page.php');
    ?>
    As far as I can tell, this above older version doesn't have lines 56 to 61 from the newer version:

PHP Code:
    if (!isset($_GET) && isset($_SERVER["argc"]) && $_SERVER["argc"] > 1) {
    for(
    $i=1;$i<$_SERVER["argc"];$i++) {
    list(
    $key$val) = explode('='$_SERVER["argv"][$i]);
    $_GET[$key] = $_REQUEST[$key] = $val;
    }

And the older versions 26th line
    $it = split("=",$argv[$i]);

vs. the newer version's 50th line
    $it = preg_split("/=/",$argv[$i]);

I don't know enough to understand if these are critical changes.

Plugin Contributions

From the PHP manual "split() is deprecated as of PHP 5.3.0. preg_split() is the suggested alternative."

It could be the host has disabled some PHP functions (such as preg_split). If this is the case, you will probably run into other issues while running Zen Cart (caused by restrictions added by the hosting provider).

As previously requested, please post the contents of phpinfo() (or provide a link to a page displaying the phpinfo(). This will give us a better idea of the hosting environment and allow us to continue trying to help you.
    The glass is not half full. The glass is not half empty. The glass is simply too big!
    Where are the Zen Cart Debug Logs? Where are the HTTP 500 / Server Error Logs?
    Zen Cart related projects maintained by lhûngîl : Plugin / Module Tracker

Plugin Contributions

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast