Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Upgrade v1.53 to v1.54 Database Upgrade Not Accepting Password

I was going insane also.

What I did next was install a fresh copy of 1.5.3 in a sub-folder and then upload zc_install from 1.5.4 to the sub folder and try the upgrade. This way you find out is it your shop or something wrong with your server setup.

If still bad try http://www.zen-cart.com/showthread.p...34#post1270834 . I did a fresh install of 1.5.3 in a sub folder and another fresh install of 1.5.4 in another sub-folder and then just changed the 1.5.4 configuration files to point to the 1.5.3 database if you don't want to use your real store. Grabbed the hashes in phpmyadmin and run upgrade to get hashes again.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

When you look at the admin table in the database, what does the password field contain? I'm interested in just the first 10 characters, as well as the total number of characters. Also, what was the "old but still commonly found" version of PHP you were using?

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    When you look at the admin table in the database, what does the password field contain? I'm interested in just the first 10 characters, as well as the total number of characters. Also, what was the "old but still commonly found" version of PHP you were using?
    The zc_install was freshly uploaded from the 1.5.4 zip.

First ten characters: 50fb761877
    total character count: 129

older version was php 5.2 fastcgi , not sure the exact revision unless i switch back and run php info.
    now i'm using php 5.4 fastcgi.

I didn't try the thing which Edit /includes/classes/class.zcPassword.php ~line 49 yet, so I will check this later, at my real job now so I can't edit that at the moment.

I will also attempt the uploading a new 1.5.3 thing after if that doesn't solve it, but I'm confused why this would really make a difference if the zc_install folder is the same from 1.5.4.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by rnoack View Post
    First ten characters: 50fb761877
    total character count: 129
    That suggests that the password format has not been updated to the new format yet.
    I'd be interested in knowing whether that password hash is identical in the "old" database.

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

A few more questions:
    1. What was your "old" version of Zen Cart that you were upgrading from? ... when you were on PHP 5.2
    2. What's the field-length in the database for that password field? Is it 255?
    3. Thanks for the first 10 characters. ... Can you give the last 10 as well?

Plugin Contributions

A few more questions:
    1. What was your "old" version of Zen Cart that you were upgrading from? ... when you were on PHP 5.2
    2. What's the field-length in the database for that password field? Is it 255?
    3. Thanks for the first 10 characters. ... Can you give the last 10 as well?

Ok, thanks to your comment "That suggests that the password format has not been updated to the new format yet." I was able to quickly solve the problem. After all, how on earth could the password have possibly been updated to the new format when the only thing that a zencart upgrade is it to upload and replace some files?

All I had to do to fix the problem was go into the admin area and change my admin password, then it was saved in the "new format", and the zc_install db upgrade worked.

But, this clearly means that the upgrade steps are wrong since changing the admin password before running the DB upgrade is not included in them.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

But, this clearly means that the upgrade steps are wrong since changing the admin password before running the DB upgrade is not included in them.
    I've never had to change the password before doing the zc_install upgrade step.

If I can find an exact combination of steps that can consistently recreate the symptoms you describe, then I'll be happy to have the upgrade instructions adjusted to suit.

I'm glad it's now working for you!

Plugin Contributions

I've never had to change the password before doing the zc_install upgrade step.

If I can find an exact combination of steps that can consistently recreate the symptoms you describe, then I'll be happy to have the upgrade instructions adjusted to suit.

I'm glad it's now working for you!
    Personally, I don't think that the instructions would need changing as part of existing instruction identifies if unable to login that one should use the "forgotten/lost" password instruction. I've had to do that for some upgrade or another, but the conditions did not seem anamalous or a fault of default zc code/database.

Just my 2 cents worth.
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mc12345678 View Post
    Personally, I don't think that the instructions would need changing as part of existing instruction identifies if unable to login that one should use the "forgotten/lost" password instruction. I've had to do that for some upgrade or another, but the conditions did not seem anamalous or a fault of default zc code/database.

Just my 2 cents worth.
    The issue is that I was able to log in just fine in the admin panel, it didn't seem to care about the password being in 1.5.3 format, but the code for doing the DB upgrade script was only accepting passwords in 1.5.4 format. I don't know when the password would have magically upgraded by itself to 1.5.4 format since I was on 1.5.4 and just FTPd some files over. If anything, the DB upgrade script would be the one updating the password I would think, or the admin panel itself would force an update when you log in, I don't know how it gets in the new format, other than changing the password... so that's why I'm saying it seems like it would be a required step. If the db update needs the new format, you must first perform some action which changes to the new format. That could be "reset/forgot password", but it's a bit confusing why the admin screen accepts the old PW just fine but the db upgrade does not.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

it's a bit confusing why the admin screen accepts the old PW just fine but the db upgrade does not.
    We'll test that theory some more, but we spent several hours earlier today testing numerous variations and couldn't create your symptoms. So, in the absence of a clear description of all steps taken to create the scenario (including when to switch PHP versions, and when to attempt to use admin passwords in zc_install and admin), we're still not finding a confirmable bug. But if there is one, we'd really like to track it down and fix it, or provide clear guidance on how to correctly avoid it from occurring.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast