Plugin Contributions

Default Blank Admin Page After Installing

A big hello to everyone.

I should start by saying thanks for having me, I hope the weather around here is better than it is in sunny Yorkshire at the moment! :) I'm completely new to Zen Cart and have a limited knowledge with regards to website development, although I've always had a desire to set up my own website, I've just have never had the time to do so, up until now that is! Anyway, apart from a brief introduction, here's the other reason I posted...

I was hoping someone might be able to help me with a blank admin page after a new Install, the situation is as follows:

I've just taken out a basic hosting package with 123-reg and they provided me with the 1.5.1 version of Zen Cart which installed without a hitch. I then realised that the 1.5.4 version is available and so I completely deleted the older version and uploaded the newer version which I obtained through the recommended links on this forum. I then ran the Installation after following the Install guide word for word, (or not as it may turn out) and then tried to access admin, to which I received a white page with nothing on it. The url in the browser is correct so I know it's looking where it should be, and the index.php is there but the page is simply blank.

I looked at the debug log and it came up with this. There are 4 log files all saying the same.

19-Jan-2015 09:37:59] PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STATIC in /websites/123reg/LinuxPackage22/ar/tm/on/artmonster.co.uk/public_html/admin/includes/classes/class.admin.zcObserverLogEventListener.php on line 118

These are my settings:

ZC 1.5.4 - New Install
    MySQL Version 5.1.73
    PHP: 5.3
    PHP Extension: mysqli

As newbie I'm something at a loss on this. I'm really looking forward to immersing myself in the world of Zen Cart; I just need to get going! lol :)
    Any help would be hugely appreciated. I hope not to need to bother too many people in the future!

Kind Regards

James
    Last edited by James Bond; 19 Jan 2015 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Grammer

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Blank Admin Page After Installing

Well, welcome to Zen Cart. Generally speaking it would seem that the/some guide has been followed; however, the PHP version reported is not the version that is being used to serve the store. The error that has been reported happens only in PHP versions 5.2.x. The good news? There is a temporary work around until the PHP version is upgraded. See: http://www.zen-cart.com/showthread.p...33#post1268233
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Thank you very much mc12345678. I did read that thread several times but dismissed it as a problem due to my server claiming 5.3 used! I'll get right on it and see what happens. Thanks once again!

Plugin Contributions

Just to follow up and say that after 4 days of trying to install, and repeat visits to the Known Errors thread, one post has resolved my problem! I can sleep once again! Thanks mc12345678.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by James Bond View Post
    Just to follow up and say that after 4 days of trying to install, and repeat visits to the Known Errors thread, one post has resolved my problem! I can sleep once again! Thanks mc12345678.
    Welcome, though credit is far more due to Dr. Byte, ajeh, wilt and many others, some silent, some helping on a daily basis. I just work with the stuff, they have put a lot more into it than me.

Btw, although in a way you have already done an upgrade, but if you setup a second version of your site to be a development site, you could apply whatever fixes and modifications you want without losing your true live site... Meaning you could have tried that fix four days ago without losing anything but testing time and any undo time that might have resulted. :)

Anyways, there is a lot of info out there, pick your template (even if a duplicate of the default) and happy zenning. :)
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mc12345678 View Post
    Welcome, though credit is far more due to Dr. Byte, ajeh, wilt and many others, some silent, some helping on a daily basis. I just work with the stuff, they have put a lot more into it than me.

Btw, although in a way you have already done an upgrade, but if you setup a second version of your site to be a development site, you could apply whatever fixes and modifications you want without losing your true live site... Meaning you could have tried that fix four days ago without losing anything but testing time and any undo time that might have resulted. :)

Anyways, there is a lot of info out there, pick your template (even if a duplicate of the default) and happy zenning. :)
    I'm sure I'll be thanking MANY people on my quest for Zen perfection over the months/years to come mc12345678, but today, the thunder belongs to you sir !

Thanks also for the heads up on a second installation !

Regards

James