Hybrid View

Plugin Contributions

Default UPS 2015 Rate Increase - Dimensional Rates

With UPS's switch to dimensional weights for all shipping are there any plans to integrate dimensional support into the UPS and/or UPS XML modules?
    Dimensional support in the USPS module would make things much more accurate as well...

To compensate for the change I have had to put the weights of items higher than actual weight and give a partial shipping refund to customers if the actual shipping rate ends up being less. I know this is costing us customers and sales, but it's the only not to loose our butts on the shipping module under quoting.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: UPS 2015 Rate Increase - Dimensional Rates

If you are shipping USA to USA and running Zen Cart 1.5.1 or earlier, you can use Dropship Core (this includes support not only for specifying different origins for shipments - but also shipping dimensions). It comes with a basic example "UPS Parcel" shipping module.

I am working on a newer version of DropShip Core (international support, more flexibility, less intrusive, 1.5.2-1.5.4 support, etc). Currently this project is a low priority (as my time is limited and the project has no sponsor).
    The glass is not half full. The glass is not half empty. The glass is simply too big!
    Where are the Zen Cart Debug Logs? Where are the HTTP 500 / Server Error Logs?
    Zen Cart related projects maintained by lhûngîl : Plugin / Module Tracker

Plugin Contributions

My current setup is 1.5.1 but I am in the process of upgrading to 1.5.4...
    We ship from USA to locations worldwide (all shipping outside of the US uses USPS).
    We don't drop ship so I have never looked at that module, I'll check it out.
    I know that the API's for both USPS and UPS have the functions for dimensional support, it's just a matter of implementing it (easier said than done!).
    Last edited by mikestaps; 21 Jan 2015 at 06:18 PM.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mikestaps View Post
    ... We ship from USA to locations worldwide (all shipping outside of the US uses USPS). ...
    Hmm, has been awhile since I looked at the version available here. If I remember correctly, their is a core limitation for the shipping origin to be located in the USA - so you may be just fine. As for Zen Cart 1.5.4... The new admin pages would be missing the new admin logging mechanisms. And the alterations to core files would need to be done by hand (cannot just overwrite).

Quote Originally Posted by mikestaps View Post
    ... I know that the API's for both USPS and UPS have the functions for dimensional support, it's just a matter of implementing it (easier said than done!).
    So very true. For simplicity sake, that module offers only two modes for packaging... one per box dimensions or x number per box dimensions... Can be configured on a per product (and shipping carrier) basis.

Alas, so far only a UPS module is included (I developed a freight module for DropShip Core, but the was required to sign an NDA and not distribute). The UPS module included in the version available from this website will probably need a little modification to handle international shipping (such as costs to clear customs).
    The glass is not half full. The glass is not half empty. The glass is simply too big!
    Where are the Zen Cart Debug Logs? Where are the HTTP 500 / Server Error Logs?
    Zen Cart related projects maintained by lhûngîl : Plugin / Module Tracker