Thread: Canonical

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Canonical

So a page such as this
    https://domain.com/154/index.php?mai...products_id=12

has a rel="canonical" of this

<link rel="canonical" href="https://domain.com/154/index.php?main_page=product_info&amp;products_id=12" />

Which forces a redirect for tools such as OpenGraph, Google Shopping etc who read and respect the canonical attribute.

I see where it can be changed in init_canonical.php

$includeCPath = TRUE;

However, I would rather think TRUE should be default and not the other way around.

~Melanie
    PRO-Webs, Inc. :: Recent Zen Cart Projects :: Zen Cart SEO – 12 Steps to Success
    **I answer questions in the forum, private messages are NOT answered. You are welcome to contact us via our website for professional engagements.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Canonical

What about the scenario where the product is linked to multiple categories?

Either way, the "canonical" URL for the product is the product URL, regardless of category, isn't it?

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Agreed, but this is not linked.... so every product out of the box Facebook is forced to follow a redirect to the canonical... and they're testy about it.
    PRO-Webs, Inc. :: Recent Zen Cart Projects :: Zen Cart SEO – 12 Steps to Success
    **I answer questions in the forum, private messages are NOT answered. You are welcome to contact us via our website for professional engagements.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Sigh. Nobody's forcing Facebook to do anything. That's their choice, and frankly IMO a misinterpretation of the purpose of canonical.

Why exactly does Facebook believe they need to do a redirect in the first place? Do they document the why behind their madness?

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

I couldn't say for sure, but I suspect they are trying to weed of fake links and BS

Plugin Contributions

To find the object, these are the redirects we had to follow
    original https://domain.com/154/index.php?mai...products_id=12
    og:url https://domain.com/154/index.php?mai...products_id=12
    The following will be treated as a redirect by the crawler:

A HTTP redirect
    A <link rel="canonical" href=".." /> tag
    A <meta property="og:url" content=".." /> tag

The final URL, which we tried to extract metadata from is highlighted in bold.

Plugin Contributions

Out of curiosity, does that page contain the "og:url" tag? If it does, is there any reason the Open Graph URL is not the same as the Canonical URL? Would making them the same reduce things down to "one" redirect and make FaceBook happier?
    Last edited by lhungil; 3 Feb 2015 at 08:22 PM.
    The glass is not half full. The glass is not half empty. The glass is simply too big!
    Where are the Zen Cart Debug Logs? Where are the HTTP 500 / Server Error Logs?
    Zen Cart related projects maintained by lhûngîl : Plugin / Module Tracker

Plugin Contributions

The URL in the address bar does not match the canonical is the issue.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mprough View Post
    The URL in the address bar does not match the canonical is the issue.
    Apart from this weird situation with the Facebook crawler telling you they "had to redirect" to og:url (and they didn't complain about canonical), I've seen no evidence anywhere else which suggests that the canonical URL should ever have to "match" the browser URL. In fact, the whole issue of creating the canonical reference was to specifically allow for the browser URL to be pointing to 1 page and the canonical pointing to the official master page so that 2 pages showing duplicate content could be properly mapped to just 1 page in the crawler's database.

So, I'm still not understanding how this is a bug at all.

Plugin Contributions

The point is that the cPath displays in the address bar should be in the canonical the same, when possible because not everyone obeys it. So theoretically, Google does, no problem, but Bing most times not, so they would index the cPath version.

People bookmarking and linking to your website also would use the address bar link and link juice doesn't pass to the canonical correctly... It decays. Unless you have the parameters excluded in webmaster's tools.

""Jon Mueller from Google stated that the rel=canonical tag doesn't merge the link profile.""

http://moz.com/community/q/quick-rel...juice-question

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast