Plugin Contributions

Default Digital download product: shipping added on alternate attribute option

I am confused about how shipping is expected to be applied with download product and virtual products.
    I have not seen the issue prior to the 2nd attribute required for restrict digital downloads where the 2nd attribute does not contain a digital file.

Lat9 indicates this is a core zencart issue unrelated to RDD.

The dilema being
    • for the digital product email option, product must be set as virtual in order for NO SHIPPING charges.
    • Once product is set to virtual, if a physical product is added to the cart in addition to the virtual product w/pdf attribute, FREE SHIPPING is presented instead of PLEASE select your shipping method. (WRONG)
    • Once product is set to virtual, if a physical product is added to the cart in addition to the virtual product w/email attribute, PLEASE select your shipping method. (CORRECT)

Shipping methods:
    USPS
    Fedex
    FreeShipper
    FreeOptions with filter order total >=100 shipping zone USA

Virtual product set to NO, require shipping address.
    Digital product with 2 attribute options, same attribute name. Attribute 1= pdf file. Attribute 2 = manual email file
    Digital product, select download attribute, add to cart. yields no shipping ( as expected)
    Empty the cart

Same product, Digital product, select alternate attribute, add to cart. yields shipping charges. (not as expected)
    empty the cart
    ===============================
    Same product.
    Virtual product set to YES.
    Add Digital product, select download attribute. yields no shipping charges. (as expected)
    Then,
    Select physical product (weight 0.4 lb) which will require shipping. Add to cart. yields FREE SHIPPING (not as expected)
    REMOVE digital product from cart, leaving physical product. yields Shipping options. (as expected)

Same product.
    Add Digital product, select ALTERNATE attribute. yields no shipping charges. (as expected)
    Then,
    Select physical product which will require shipping. Add to cart. yields Shipping options (as expected)

================================
    Rick
    RixStix (dot) com
    aka: ChainWeavers (dot) com

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Digital download product: shipping added on alternate attribute option

Quote Originally Posted by RixStix View Post
    I am confused about how shipping is expected to be applied with download product and virtual products.
    I have not seen the issue prior to the 2nd attribute required for restrict digital downloads where the 2nd attribute does not contain a digital file.

Lat9 indicates this is a core zencart issue unrelated to RDD.

The dilema being
    • for the digital product email option, product must be set as virtual in order for NO SHIPPING charges.
    • Once product is set to virtual, if a physical product is added to the cart in addition to the virtual product w/pdf attribute, FREE SHIPPING is presented instead of PLEASE select your shipping method. (WRONG)
    • Once product is set to virtual, if a physical product is added to the cart in addition to the virtual product w/email attribute, PLEASE select your shipping method. (CORRECT)

Shipping methods:
    USPS
    Fedex
    FreeShipper
    FreeOptions with filter order total >=100 shipping zone USA

Virtual product set to NO, require shipping address.
    Digital product with 2 attribute options, same attribute name. Attribute 1= pdf file. Attribute 2 = manual email file
    Digital product, select download attribute, add to cart. yields no shipping ( as expected)
    Empty the cart

Same product, Digital product, select alternate attribute, add to cart. yields shipping charges. (not as expected)
    empty the cart
    ===============================
    Same product.
    Add Digital product, select download attribute. yields no shipping charges. (as expected)
    Then,
    Select physical product (weight 0.4 lb) which will require shipping. Add to cart. yields FREE SHIPPING (not as expected)
    REMOVE digital product from cart, leaving physical product. yields Shipping options. (as expected)

Same product.
    Add Digital product, select ALTERNATE attribute. yields no shipping charges. (as expected)
    Then,
    Select physical product which will require shipping. Add to cart. yields Shipping options (as expected)

================================
    It appears that in all of this, that they checkout_shipping page is reached/attempted as products are added/removed...

There is a minor modification to includes/modules/pages/checkout_shipping/header_php.php that may be applicable here, though it may not quite be... See if application of: http://www.zen-cart.com/showthread.p...64#post1269364

helps in this issue.

Otherwise, would also suggest this test by adding the products in advance that have shown the above "problems" and then try to progress to shipping (I.e., don't add, remove, and then add again...)
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Digital download product: shipping added on alternate attribute option

TNX

Just checked, the suggested code was added to the file on Jan 12, it is not quite the same issue.

I am beginning with an empty cart on each test, not repeatedly beginning the checkout process with a partially populated cart.

Right now, I have the product settings so that the proper shipping is included (NOT VIRTUAL setting). The downside is that customers who choose the EU: manual email the file to me option are seeing shipping added to the order which is probably more expensive than the VAT would have been.
    Rick
    RixStix (dot) com

Plugin Contributions

TNX

Just checked, the suggested code was added to the file on Jan 12, it is not quite the same issue.

I am beginning with an empty cart on each test, not repeatedly beginning the checkout process with a partially populated cart.

Right now, I have the product settings so that the proper shipping is included (NOT VIRTUAL setting). The downside is that customers who choose the EU: manual email the file to me option are seeing shipping added to the order which is probably more expensive than the VAT would have been.
    So, what about this... Could still attach the download file to the manual email me option, but set the days expire and/or downloads to zero. (0). That would still fulfill the requirement of the download associated to the attribut.

Further, and I don't know if you have applied this, but you could electronically attach the download as part of their email purchase using an observer on the orders class...

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mc12345678 View Post
    So, what about this... Could still attach the download file to the manual email me option, but set the days expire and/or downloads to zero. (0). That would still fulfill the requirement of the download associated to the attribut.
    Don't think so. Restrict Digital Downloads prevents selection of any attribute that contains a downloadable file from being added to cart if the customer IP address is within an EU country, thus the requirement to have a selectable attribute that does not contain a file.

Further, and I don't know if you have applied this, but you could electronically attach the download as part of their email purchase using an observer on the orders class...
    That's over my head but it cannot be sent via/attached to any automated process in order to comply with a technicality of the EU Digital VAT rules.
    Rick
    RixStix (dot) com

Plugin Contributions

Don't think so. Restrict Digital Downloads prevents selection of any attribute that contains a downloadable file from being added to cart if the customer IP address is within an EU country, thus the requirement to have a selectable attribute that does not contain a file.

That's over my head but it cannot be sent via/attached to any automated process in order to comply with a technicality of the EU Digital VAT rules.
    All that is certainly helpful to try to resolve the issue at hand. Recently somewhat brought up a similar issue. It was stated that there would likely be a shipping issue with this kind of virtual/product mixture.

Could limit orders to one type of product through an extra_cart_actions file. Otherwise would need to work through the virtual/product logic to figure out an opportunity to minimize the difficulty being experienced. Wondering if other settings aren't causing some of the issue, but haven't toyed with the code in that area really yet.

Plugin Contributions

All that is certainly helpful to try to resolve the issue at hand. Recently somewhat brought up a similar issue. It was stated that there would likely be a shipping issue with this kind of virtual/product mixture.
    That thread just made my head spin, but that is the Only reason for trying the Virtual setting against all the preaching about Virtual not being appropriate for download products. Thus, virtual fixes one issue but creates another less palatable issue.

Looking like either not allowing EU Customers to purchase or removing RDD & ignore the EU until they provide a document that has standing within the USA.
    Rick
    RixStix (dot) com

Plugin Contributions

I wouldn't necessarily give up yet. Part of that extra_cart_action I was talking about could be set for EU customers only, etc... Basically building on/using code/logic from RDD. Not to mention, now that there is more context in the question, I would think that some others might have a better suggestion.

Plugin Contributions

I've pulled most of my remaining hair comparing files and digging aimlessly.

It is almost to the point of having to abandon Restrict Digital Downloads because I cannot make things play nice when physical products are added to the cart.

I am willing to chase any pointers that are within my capability.
    Rick
    RixStix (dot) com