Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Multiple products choices on same listing

Quote Originally Posted by cefyn View Post
    I'll be showing my ignorance of how things work now,but all it really needs is for the admin catalog/ product search function to look in the customid column of the products_with_attributes_stock table . If I create a new order from admin and input the barcode in the search screen there, it will add the product to the order , when the barcode has been added in the Product UPC field on the product page . Would it not be relatively straightforward to get the search function to look in the customid column as well ?
    I'm relatively sure that now I don't understand. :)

1) What is the significance/relationship of the UPC to the attribute(s)? Meaning does a large shirt of style x have a different UPC than a small shirt of style y?
    2) Where is the UPC code that is being discussed as being entered actually get entered? (Ie. what portion of the product life cycle is it entered? When the product is initially created in the database, when the product is purchased, etc...?)
    3) The "search function" that you're talking about, is this like a "live" lookup while typing type thing, or a field that is populated, a button pushed and the equivalent/associated data is retrieved?

It is pretty much all a "database thang" using referential data to pull one thing or another from somewhere else. Even by identifying the product from the database, it would be possible to provide a "pick list" of items that could be chosen based on that main product... Do need to also consider that someone hasn't done database entry and how to work around that, but...

Again though, if any portion of the checkout process requires the UPC code (assuming dependent on the attribute selected) to be a single value in the products table then none of this will work because that code would have to be modified each time a product were so scanned in real time and not conflict with any other similar modification happening at the same time or shortly after/before. That type of information is more applicable to a session than a database value. (Change of a value specific to the evolution being processed without affecting any other similar process needing a similar but unique value.)
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Ok ,I'll try and explain it a bit better. "Multiple products choice on same listing". There are other threads on the same kind of thing going back years, but they all end up going nowhere and this is the most recent.
    Why do people want multiple products choice on the same listing? Because shirts of style X and style Y will,typically, have two different model nos. that is, humanly readable identifiers
    But shirt style X and style Y will not themselves have unique barcodes.If style X comes in three sizes then each size of style X will have a unique barcode.
    The styles ,or models, themselves do not have barcodes ,only the sizes in a style do. For the purposes of automated inventory control , every size in a style is itself a unique item and the style or model is non-existent. So if we want to show shirt style X on our website in a way that can allow us to integrate with our semi-automated inventory and sales systems ,we have to list three different products. Style X small ,style X medium, and style X large. So we have three items in product listing instead of just one.
    (I think gjh proposed this as a solution in a similar thread years ago .That was when the big problem was showing different levels of stock for products with attributes was the issue .Thats not an issue now, thanks to the work you've done on SBA.)
    But nobody really wants to do it like that because you get such a multiplication of identical product images.So the originator of this thread is wondering ,I would guess ,as I was ,is there any way to show ie: shirt style X in medium on a product listing ,and yet to have ,within the same listing ,as associated but different products, shirt style X in small and shirt style X in large.
    Thereby avoiding a multiplication of products and images in the product listing,and yet still being able to retain the UPC information (barcode) for each size.
    What I can do at the moment is enter a barcode for a product into the UPC field when I create a product,which is fine if my product has no options, but once my product has options I have to make a new product out of every option in order to be able to enter the UPC information.
    That was why I jumped on your mention of the unique id in the PAS table ,because here was a way of being able to enter the UPC information for each option,and yet still be able to group those options under one style (or model no.) So at the moment, let’s say I create shirt style X as a product and then enter the barcode for style X ,size M in the UPC field ( using the UPC/ISBN add on),update product.
    I then go to admin/customer/create new order/add products and I have a search box.I enter the barcode into the search box and shirt style X size m is added to the order.
    How does it do this ? That’s where I'm up to at the moment.
    Developers toolkit gives me / admin/includes/modules/category_product_listing.php
    Line #246 : p.products_upc,
    Line #259 : or p.products_upc = '" . zen_db_input($_GET['search']) . "'
    Line #270 : p.products_upc,
    But I'm not sure what’s doing it.
    Let’s say I go back to shirt style X and create three new attributes for it ,S,M,L. Then I go to SBA stock page add quantity for each variant,and give each variant a custom id,which is it's barcode.
    Then I have in my products with attributes stock database table a custom id which is the barcode.
    I wonder about trying to get an extra function for the search in edit order/adding a product to the order , (which can already find a model by it's UPC ).
    That function would request of the machine intelligence that it look in the products with attributes stock table for the custom id, and that it would then connect the custom id
    with the stock id that goes with the custom id, and that it would then output whatever product goes with that stock id.
    Well, that’s what I was thinking ,but having looked again at it just now ,I don't think it would be that easy.
    I can't even figure out what the custom id does.
    I think I better leave it at that ,except to explain what this is about now .To get that extra function working would be a big step towards the integration of a retail shop based EPOS system
    with an ecommerce shopping cart. That’s like ...the Unholy Grail.
    Last edited by cefyn; 5 Sep 2015 at 04:19 PM. Reason: format

Plugin Contributions

Once the barcode has been used to find the product in the search it's finished with - except for the fact that that item has to be deducted from stock at some point.

Plugin Contributions

@cefyn, you're making all this too complicated.

mc12345678 was right and you can use the customid field in SBA for your UPC. I know because I've used it with my POS...
    The only thing that would need tweaking is the OTHER plugin that you're using (admin new order) and I'd actually suggest asking this type of question in the support thread for that plugin (if any) to get better assistance. You're right, it won't be that easy, but perhaps someone will point you in the right direction and help you figure out the function you need... I wish I could help, but I've never used that plugin myself so I really don't know how it works.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for the info Balihr , I'm obviously making a fundamental error somewhere ,but having entered the barcode in the custom id field I'm unable to find it with any search function that I have. It just sits there. How do I make use of it ? I guess I should be asking this in the SBA thread but I'm keeping it in the right context here ,I hope.

Plugin Contributions

Never mind , got it working, thanks guys.

Plugin Contributions

Well, I wrote this earlier, still has a few salient points even after the above discussion.

So the customid of SBA "does" whatever you want it to "do" provided that each and every customid entered is different than all of the other customids that have been entered or it is blank...

So back to what you are describing? Yes it is basically that exact thing that potteryhouse and jeking built into SBA. But it could be for whatever is desired... The records are tied to one another to be able to basically use the existing SQL queries just adding the additional ties and data from the products_with_attributes_stock table...
    ZC Installation/Maintenance Support <- Site
    Contribution for contributions welcome...

Plugin Contributions

Awesome !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12