Plugin Contributions

Default procedure for loading site backup copy?

Just wondering what the procedure is for loading a backup copy of a site that is 'confused' after some plugin modifications. I have read procedures for moving to new server or from folder to root but cannot find one for this specifically.

I have tried loading the copy to the root by overwriting the troublesome site but that hasn't solved the problem. Do I simply delete the troublesome site from the root then load the backup copy (including database backup) ? or do I delete the troublesome site then do a fresh ZC install then load the backup copy?

cheers, Mike

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: procedure for loading site backup copy?

Just trying to figure out what best response to give you ... must ask: What's broken on the site? is it related to data? Is it related to code? If you don't know, what are the symptoms? What's been getting changed since it broke?

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    Just trying to figure out what best response to give you ... must ask: What's broken on the site? is it related to data? Is it related to code? If you don't know, what are the symptoms? What's been getting changed since it broke?
    Issue is compatibility of FEC and USU - in trying to get them to work together, I loaded updated version of USU and must have done something wrong and I lost site and login page, subsequently I have uninstalled USU (and reloaded a few times) and reloaded folders Includes and Admin from site back up copy and then the whole site backup copy - now have login but site will not load. I have done so many rewrites that the poor site doesn't know whether it is Martha or Arthur. So I want to get back to where the site was functioning after which I will delete FEC and leave it alone until I upgrade to v1.5.4 (eventually). Database is fine. I just want to load the backup copy the best way to get the desired result.

cheers, Mike

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

You said you're certain the database is fine.
    So, just delete the files from the server, and put them back from the backup.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    You said you're certain the database is fine.
    So, just delete the files from the server, and put them back from the backup.
    Thanks Doc

Plugin Contributions

Good to see you are taking the leap.

There were a few structural changes between zc1.39 and zc1.5+, the main ones being admin/includes/boxes no longer exists and the introduction of admin page registration. Therefore if any of your mods used admin/includes/boxes or did not register with admin, they should be completely discarded and updated versions sought. (Read the docs for the other changes.)

My recommendation for upgrading would have been to 151 first, still good and for which a great many mods are currently available (especially for php5.3), then upgrade months later to 154 (skipping 152 and 153) by which time a great many mods should have been upgraded (especially for php's mysqli_ improvements).

cheers
    Last edited by dw08gm; 24 Feb 2015 at 04:16 PM.

Plugin Contributions

My recommendation for upgrading would have been to 151 first, still good and for which a great many mods are currently available (especially for php5.3), then upgrade months later to 154 (skipping 152 and 153) by which time a great many mods should have been upgraded (especially for php's mysqli_ improvements).
    Good advice. was niggling in the back of my mind not to take too big a leap, so I will transition to 1.5.1 first.

All the responses in here have helped me greatly - I am confident now in both uploading a backup copy AND upgrading to a newer version - thanks to everyone.

cheers, Mike