Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Customer Login Time

Quote Originally Posted by RodG View Post
    Are you *sure* that you're always logged in, and not simply being automatically relogged in (by one means or another)?
    Amazon, and other sites I shop at, are always logged in for me. Cannot recall the last time I had to log in on Amazon - especially with watching Prime movies and all. The Amazon/eBay apps are always logged in as well.

To be perfectly honest, I would avoid any site that accepts my CC details but *doesn't* log me out after a relatively short period of activity.
    The problem with the reactions to this question in the forums is that not every Zen Cart site accepts credit cards. For a site that doesn't accept credit cards or any payment methods, then why is this such a big deal? Then why haven't I been logged out of this forum? Sure, Zencart is an ecommerce platform, but not everyone uses it the same way.

How to do this isn't really any secret. I (and several others) have posted the information how to do this many times over the years. If you search the forums I'm sure you'll have little trouble finding the relevant posts.
    Searched an search to no avail. Only to find replies from people saying why it shouldn't be done, but not giving the answer. The disclosures are useful food for thought, but not revealing a way to solve a problem seems a bit counter-intuitive for open source software.

The 'issue' that you'll find is that there is no single 'right way' to do this and it often (always?) requires a change to the server settings, specifically the gc_maxlifetime setting, which is generally set to 1440 seconds (24 minutes) by default.
    With the new update, there is a way to extend the time for the admin area, but isn't staying logged in. Figuring it must be due to the Master Value setting on the server.

Although I can't speak for others, I tend to be of the opinion that the people that need to *ask* how to do this *probably* don't have the knowledge or skills to make the needed changes without getting themselves into trouble thus requiring them to come back here asking how to get the site functional again, and more often than not we can't be of much help because neither us, or the person with the problem has a clue as to exactly what they did wrong in the 1st place.
    Not exactly true. I just needed some direction as to where it was. Thank you for that direction (gc_maxlifetime). You've helped me this way several times in the past as well, and I appreciate it.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Customer Login Time

Haha, ironically, while trying to post the previous reply, this warning showed:
    "Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded."

Good thing I copied it all first

Plugin Contributions

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12